• E4M2
    • E4M3
    • E4M4
    • E4M5
    • E4M6
    • E4M7
    • E4M8
    • E4M9

After seeing the E1 thread I decided to ask this since my favorite episode is E4. I'd probably have to say I like E4M2 and E4M6 the most.

Hmmm....I suppose I'd really have to say E4M6, it's the best looking and playing of all the E4 maps. E4M9 would have been better if it had been a straight base map though IMO.

E4M2 and E4m6, I forgot to vote for e4m1 tho.

I love John romero's maps, and e4m2 and e4m6 is fun maps. Imo, e4m6 is one of the most beautiful maps in whole ultimate doom. E4m2 feel a bit too rushed tho, but I like the hard gameplay of that one. And btw, tim willits is a sucky mapper, e4m5 sucks ball shit, e4m9 is cool tho, but it lacks something. E4M7 is good, dr. sleep was god in these days. :)

E4m4 is the worst level in episode4, ugly map, boring gameplay (at least most of the map).

The order is my preference of those three:

E4M9 I love it for its E1 style, the BROWN*/metallic textures. Voted.
E4M2 I dunno. I like it, it has multiple quests around in a small space. Doing this on UV already takes some time despite its small. Nice. Voted.
E4M1 The first level of an episode (doesnot apply to Heretic somehow) is always "known" and thus can be liked- whatever blah. Short nice intro one. Voted.

Fredrik said:

E4M7 is a piece of crap.

Nonsense, it's a good looking and playing map. The fact that you can beat in it in under 11 seconds is kinda cool too :P

E4M1, E4M2 and E4M6. I can't choose between them, so I'm glad this is a multi-option poll. All three are excellent, but very different from one another.

I've done it before myself Grimm. All it takes is some good aiming, timing, and patience.

Cyb said:

these polls need more mancusex

fixed.

ontopic: I hated episode 4

Ep 4 doesnt quite fit in with the rest of doom. But if you dont count the other eps against it, think it's still pretty good. My favorite is M2 by far, even though it always kicks my ass. I think the starting area in M1 is pretty cool too.

E4M6 and E4M2. I can't really decide which one is better.

What I don't get is why so many people don't like E4. This is still my favorite piece of commercially released Doom levels.

yeah, i don't get that either. my main problems with it was they were lazy about it (no new monsters, no new weapons, no wimap, doesn't fit into story, not quite as consistent as any of the other eps (E4M4 and E4M9 seem out-of-place)). but if you judge it by the strength of the levels it's at least as good an episode as E2 or E3, thanks in good part to romero's E4M2 and E4M6 :)

You can hardly say ID were lazy with E4 when they offered it as a free download. And to those guys who said E4 is the worst episode: how the heck can you say E3 is better? With a couple of exceptions, those are some of the worst Doom levels I've ever played. Ever.

NiGHTMARE said:

You can hardly say ID were lazy with E4 when they offered it as a free download. And to whoever said E4 is the worst episode: how the heck can you say E3 is better? With a couple of exceptions, those are some of the worst Doom levels I've ever played. Ever.

well, they still made it to increase sales. by the time i finally registered doom it was to the ultimate doom. i just wish they'd done it in a way that would make it a proper episode.

I don't understand why people say Episode 4 doesn't fit into the story. It clearly states at the end of Episode 4 that the spidermastermind must have sent forth his legions just before your confrontation with that terrible beast from hell. Plus of course, someone had to pay for your poor bunny :(

That's just as much of a 'storyline' as there is in any other episode of doom, or in Doom2.

I think E4 has some of the best maps in any of the doom games. I don't see how you can say it's inconsistent. The hell theme pretty much goes throughout the whole episode (with the exception of E4M9 - but then that's ok because it's meant to be a secret level). The only inconsistency really is that the difficulty doesn't really get progressively harder.

And what difference does it make if you registered the original doom or ultimate doom? You would pay the same price and be able to get the same content either way. id could easily just have released the original registered doom into the shops. Obviously they needed to add something to make it a worthwhile purchase, thus you get Episode 4. But it's not like they were making people who owned the original doom to pay again for Ultimate doom.

Edit: And another thing... how do you get past the red door in E4M7 to complete it in under 11 seconds?

The Flange Peddler said:

Edit: And another thing... how do you get past the red door in E4M7 to complete it in under 11 seconds?

The page Torn linked to includes links to demos showing how it is done (the compet-n record is 0:10). BTW, there is also a built demo in 0:09.

E4 is too hardcore for me, so I don't really have a favorite of its levels at the moment. I do recall there being some cool ones in there though.