• Seven Portals
    • Shadow Wood
    • Monastery
    • Castle of Grief
    • Necropolis
    • Blight (DK hub 1)
    • Constable`s Gate (DK hub 2)
    • Nave (DK hub 3)

Gonna have to go with the Monastery (or the automap name as I like to call it, Heresiarch's Seminary) with the Castle of Grief a close second. I didn't really hate any of them, although the Locus Requiescat in Deathkings' second hub used to scare the hell out of me as a kid, maybe it was the dark and spooky music that played there when using the CD music (in midi, it's equal to the second of the ending screens of Hexen).

All of them were good, although Necropolis was a bit short, so it's hard to choose a favorite one. I guess I'll pick Constable's Gate because of the atmosphere, especially Locus Requiescat. I didn't like Armory that much though. It was too much of a maze type map for me, even after knowing how to get through it.

For looks and atmosphere: Shadow Wood.
For gameplay and general fun: Monastery.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

And, to complete the set...

There's still Strife, Hacx and Chex Quest to go, you know.

Shadow Wood, then Castle of Grief.

I thought the last level in Chex Quest had the most atmosphere.

Grazza said:

For looks and atmosphere: Shadow Wood.
For gameplay and general fun: Monastery.

There's still Strife, Hacx and Chex Quest to go, you know.

I've not played those, so I don't count them in my set.

I haven't really gotten used to DK yet, so it's all of the originals for now. :)

Shadow Wood, most definitely. I like the outside and all alone atmosphere you get most of the time.

Hexen rules so much. I think the Monastery is my favourite hub but it's really hard to decide. Never played Deathkings, need to pick up a copy of that at some point actually.

Anything but seven portals! Not seven portals! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I think Romero said it best when he said something like it was four portals too many.

(Sorry, it's just that I played through Seven portals for the second time in the last few months.)

Indeed, the game only continued improving after the quirky demo hub.

monastery. i can't remember DKC well enough to pick out a particular hub from there, even though on the whole i enjoyed it more than the original maps.

Where's the option for "I was never able to get past hub 2 even though I played for 39024 hours" ?

I'd be lucky if I could even get past the fourth or fifth portal in Seven Portals. I think I might've beaten it before, but I most definitely don't remember it. I lose my way constantly and backtrack.
And is it just me, or does the second Guardian of Ice place have one too many Wendigos?

No, the Guardian of Ice room on the Guardian of Steel has way too many Wendigos. LUDICROUS!!! Destroy the Heretic! Er, never mind . . .

Aha, that's what I was thinking of. It's bad enough there's ice all over the place, and that there are those ice pillars that will crush you if you're not fast enough to get out of the way, but there no less than five (maybe more on skill 4, dunno, haven't tried that in a while) Wendigos slamming ice down your throat. No matter what I try I always manage to get frozen solid. Frustrating doesn't begin to describe it.

Not much in terms of strategy regarding that room, there's just too much fire to dodge, but having a key bound to the quartz flask is a big help.

You can pick off a TON of Wendigos from the center room of Guardian of Steel. Simply jump up and bash them through the grate. You don't actually have to jump up onto the ledge (at least not in Korax mod), so you don't have to expose yourself to their ice shard attack too much.

But there is still that one room you get really gangbanged, but it's not one where you have to worry about crushing pillars.

Python_Junkie said:

Seeing as how I haven't played it in a long time, I'd have to go with shadow wood, though nothing can beat the final battle with Korax ;)

Yes there is. Any of the Herisarch battles.

Korax is far too easy (and kind of boring in Korax mod). D'Sparil was even more of a challenge, especially once he started spawning new enemies. Death Wyvern battles (without a Wings of Wrath around) are also quite fun and challenging.

Ichor said:

Death Wyvern battles (without a Wings of Wrath around) are also quite fun and challenging.

Especially when you make monsters keep spawning until it's dead. >:)

I prefer to put one (possibly two in harder maps) and have them fly around in a certain area in such a way as for their range to take up half of the map. You would be walking around fighting minor enemies while being bombarded with fireballs from far away.

Well, you'll see what I mean in this next hub, heheh.

Python_Junkie said:

Seeing as how I haven't played it in a long time, I'd have to go with shadow wood, though nothing can beat the final battle with Korax ;)

Heh, the final level looked pretty cruddy, and it was waaaaaaaaaaaay too small. Considering what you can do with ACS, and considering that overall Hexen's level design is pretty good, I'm suprised they (meaning the Raven level designers) didn't go all out for the last battle. :(

Dark Citadel was worse. It was just an octagon room with a web-like design on the floor and three glass windows.

I thought that was a serious let-down to the expansion. Diablo 2 LOD had a better ending than that. (even if it's not hard for a game like that :P )