Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_Dude

Who Else Is Making Doom Builder Wads?

I was wondering who else is designing maps using Gherkin's cool Doom Builder editor? Boris and Kaiser both released DB created maps. I played the map Boris made and its really well done. The Kaiser map I haven't gotten to yet...

I started a map just to get the hang of the editor, to see if I liked it and whatnot. So what started as a small test map has turned into something much bigger. Its a big UAC style map with lots of comps, crates and gray concrete textures which takes part in a warehouse / station and I haven't decided on a title yet. Originally it was going to be a vanilla map without any port specific stuff but yesterday I added some 3D floors and so it's now a Legacy map. Anyhow here is a couple in-editor screens:

Screenshot1

a detail shot

Screenshot2

and one in Doom Builder's 3D mode

Screenshot3

Any comments?

What maps / projects are you making with Doom Builder? :D

Yes, I'm making a map with Doom Builder. But I can't guarantee it will be finished so I don't want to give too much info on it.

I agree the textures need work and I'll be making some custom textures for it later. Still have lots of detailing to do in the areas I have already made, but I want to get the worst of the layout down first.

I've never EVER made a map before, but with DB, I made a really shitty square map with nothing in it in like, 3 seconds. I tried doing the same with DeePSea but it was too cluttered for my tastes.

Doom Builder is my first editor, and so far I've made a small room connected to an untextured hallway by a door that refuses to be a door, and I have no idea what's wrong. I'm having some trouble here. Is doom builder the right editor for a newbie mapper?

doors must have same ceiling height as floor, the door linedefs facing out and need an upper door texture. doortraks need lower unpegging

Thanks, Mr. Chris! now I have a rectangle room connected to a badly textured hallway by a working door! Expect it in /newstuff by... say... the year 2047.

Dunbar said:

Expect it in /newstuff by... say... the year 2047.

You better upload it on my week!

BBG said:

I've never EVER made a map before

You may find this useful to learn the basics on what mapping kinda is like. Do mind the links are out of date (guide thing was made in 1998) and the author's emails don't work.

BBG said:

I've never EVER made a map before...

Well it wasn't for lack of me trying to get you to go grab an editor and attempt to do one, you know :)

i finished my first doom builder map a few weeks ago before 3d mode was even out (hell keep II) and i finished my map13 of D:E with it as well. i'm currently using it to finish PMS (which i started on way back in january) and a graveyard racetrack for Zoom.

I just played your Hell Keep II wad this morning. Well that was pretty fun for a doom quickie. ;) I don't know how you guys can make small maps like that. I have a few ideas for small maps that I just thought of..... hmmmmmmm better get this big map finished first.

I'm making a map in DB too.

It's called The Soul Harvester and it's for jDoom.

Heres some screens:

There aren't many wads that actually show what JDoom can do, besides the Doom64 TC. I'm looking forward to this :P

Doom Dude said:

I just played your Hell Keep II wad this morning. Well that was pretty fun for a doom quickie. ;) I don't know how you guys can make small maps like that. I have a few ideas for small maps that I just thought of..... hmmmmmmm better get this big map finished first.

yeah it was extremely short but i also ran out of ideas. plus since it was meant as a remake of E3M1 i didn't want to make it too large.

What, no models or high res textures used?

I'm using plenty of both, though not in that screen. Besides I think any map should be designed with the original textures in mind - Mainly because everyone has a different set of Hires textures, and at least I can say "If you wanna play it how I intended, then disable them. But this way, it's nice to have the option.

DaniJ said:

I'm using plenty of both, though not in that screen. Besides I think any map should be designed with the original textures in mind - Mainly because everyone has a different set of Hires textures, and at least I can say "If you wanna play it how I intended, then disable them. But this way, it's nice to have the option.

Looks interesting. So when will it be done?

Well, I've got to get jDRP out the door before I can concentrate on this, so about a month or so.

I made a map with Doom Builder a little bit ago, but it was a DM map so it's probably not too special. If anyone looked at the Newstuff Chorincles last week (or maybe 2 weeks ago) you would have seen it. I also uploaded one of my best wads that week to that was an SP made (It wasn't made with Doom Buider though) still I think my DM map is pretty cool for my first crack at a DM. Oh yes, and it's called Waste Disposal Inc.

Lizardcommando said:

This is gonna sound dumb, but what is this Doom Builder thing? Judging from the first screenshot, is it a level editor?

yes, that is a dumb question :P it is indeed a level editor, you can download it here.