Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

doom quiz

Another one, it's a bit trickier than DooMBoy's though...

1) Name two companies, other than ID themselves, who have distributed the two Doom games.

2) Which Episode 4: Thy Flesh Consumed level is the entrance to the secret level on?

3) Name the two non-ID software guys who contributed to Episode 4.

4) Did the Ultimate Doom come out before or after Doom 2?

5) Who was the member of ID who worked on Doom 1 but not Doom 2? (note: no, not Tom Hall)

6) In what level in Doom 2 do you first find the super shotgun?

7) How many new enemies did Doom 2 introduced, including the Wolfenstein soldier?

8) Which one of the following is NOT a Romero level?
a) Circle of Death
b) Industrial Zone
c) The Tenements
d) Gotcha!
e) Abandoned Mines
f) The Living Ends

9) Name the one person who contributed to Doom 2: The Master levels who DIDN'T get a job in the games industry.

10) John Carmack once confirmed in a .plan file that shortly after Doom 2's release, ID were thinking of making a Doom 3. Is this true or false?

1) Name two companies, other than ID themselves, who have distributed the two Doom games.

GT Interactive and Activision.

2) Which Episode 4: Thy Flesh Consumed level is the entrance to the secret level on?

E4M2 I believe? Can't be bothered to check...

3) Name the two non-ID software guys who contributed to Episode 4.

Tim Willits (and Theresa Chasar) and John Anderson, I think.

4) Did the Ultimate Doom come out before or after Doom 2?

After.

5) Who was the member of ID who worked on Doom 1 but not Doom 2? (note: no, not Tom Hall)

Shawn Green didn't work on Doom 2, I don't think.

6) In what level in Doom 2 do you first find the super shotgun?

Umm... Map04 I think?

7) How many new enemies did Doom 2 introduced, including the Wolfenstein soldier?

Chaingunner, Hell Knight, Mancubus, Revenant, Pain Elemental, Archvile, Arachnotron, SS Nazi... that's 8.

8) Which one of the following is NOT a Romero level?
a) Circle of Death
b) Inmost Dens
c) Industrial Zone
d) The Tenements
e) Gotcha!
f) Abandoned Mines
g) The Living Ends

Tenements is a Sandy Petersen level I think.

9) Name the one person who contributed to Doom 2: The Master levels who DIDN'T get a job in the games industry.

Sverre Kvernmo went to Xatrix, Chris Klie worked at Lucasarts, Tim Willits went to id... John Anderson worked somewhere, I think... Tom Mustaine is at Ritual... Jim Flynn.

10) John Carmack once confirmed in a .plan file that shortly after Doom 2's release, ID were thinking of making a Doom 3. Is this true or false?

Carmack said once that in hindsight he wished that they had made a Doom 3 after Doom 2, using Quake-like netcode but the same 2D engine.

Well done Ling, except you got three wrong and one only half right :)

<< 5) Who was the member of ID who worked on Doom 1 but not Doom 2? (note: no, not Tom Hall)

Shawn Green didn't work on Doom 2, I don't think. >>

Shawn designed map25: Bloodfalls.

<< 6) In what level in Doom 2 do you first find the super shotgun?

Umm... Map04 I think? >>

Nope :)

<< 7) How many new enemies did Doom 2 introduced, including the Wolfenstein soldier?

Chaingunner, Hell Knight, Mancubus, Revenant, Pain Elemental, Archvile, Arachnotron, SS Nazi... that's 8. >>

Well, technically you're right. But there's kind of one missing, and it's a biggie :)

<< 8) Which one of the following is NOT a Romero level?
a) Circle of Death
b) Inmost Dens
c) Industrial Zone
d) The Tenements
e) Gotcha!
f) Abandoned Mines
g) The Living Ends

Tenements is a Sandy Petersen level I think. >>

Nope, Romero made that one.

<< 10) John Carmack once confirmed in a .plan file that shortly after Doom 2's release, ID were thinking of making a Doom 3. Is this true or false?

Carmack said once that in hindsight he wished that they had made a Doom 3 after Doom 2, using Quake-like netcode but the same 2D engine. >>

The answer I was actually thinking of was "all JC ever talks about in his .plans is all kinds of techno-gibberish that only he understands", but I'll give you that :)

<< 6) In what level in Doom 2 do you first find the super shotgun?

Umm... Map04 I think? >>

Nope :)

Ah yes, Map02 in that one room.

Still three correct answers to give though (5, 7 and 8). I'll post the correct answers in the morning, 9 or so hours from now.

But the icon of sin isn't either. Technically it is just 10 textures. (lava brain)

but it acts JUST like a commander keen, except for the explosions and ending the level instead of raising a ceiling somewhere.

Gotcha isn't a Romero level.

From what I'm aware of, Dr. Sleep doesn't work in the gaming industry anymore. He had brief stints at Ion Storm and Xatrix (now Gray Matter) but I haven't seen his name in a long time...

Yep, Mike Abrash and the Icon of Sin/Romero Head were both right :)

But no-one got the Romero level right. Sorry Derek, but he made Gotcha! too.

The correct answer is: Living Ends. Think about it...

I thought about it and I still think Living Ends was made by Romero since it's likely the best level in the game. Gotcha is ass.

From my perspective, Commander Keen is more of an enemy than The Icon, or specifically the Romero head.

Keen counts towards the kill number and has a proper death code pointer (on frame 774), that also checks for tagged sectors to open as doors. Ok, he doesn't have an attack, but more of that later.

The Romero head does not count for the kill and does not have a proper death code pointer (ie he never goes into non blocking dead body mode). He does scream and create the explosions on his death (frame 780) and then ends the level (frame 783). He does not in fact have an attack either. His "attack" is provided by a separate thing (edit number 89) the spawn cube shooter. Although, I would concede that the Romero head, spawn cube shooter and spawn cube targets could together be considered one entity.

I guess it all depends on your point of view.

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view."

Like it really matters. :-)

Although, I would concede that the Romero head, spawn cube shooter and spawn cube targets could together be considered one entity.

That's kinda like saying that linedefs, sectors and nodes are all the same thing because they all make a level.

That's kinda like saying that linedefs, sectors and nodes are all the same thing because they all make a level.

Nah, its more like saying linedefs, sectors and nodes are different parts of a level, which they are. The level is the whole, the lines, sectors and nodes are the parts. The Romero head, shooter and targets are the parts... but I'm not sure where that leaves the lindefs and textures that make up the icon's face.

LOL Derek, don't you get it? It was a trick question :)

There is NO level called The Living Ends, it's called The Living End. Note the lack of an 's'. And yes, it's by Romero.

I'd have thought that you were smarter than this =p

Though come to think of it, The Living Ends is a cooler name than The Living End :)