Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sargebaldy

slige modification contest

here's an idea i had a while back, and while everyone else is tossing out ideas i figured i ought to mention it. in short, i would randomly generate a slige megawad using some set features. then people get a week or so to modify a random level of that megawad to a reasonable state, leaving the original structure intact but detailing and modifying it, and perhaps adding new rooms to make it look less terrible. what do people think?

Or you could do the same with DoomJr.wad. :p

The author's textfile stated: "Authors MAY use these levels as a base to build additional levels. And if you do, drop me a line!"

You could call the finished product DoomSr.wad.

this is a great idea. i've always loved slige anyway. it would be nice to see what the possibilities for it could be.

SLIGE is a random map generator for Doom. It calculates sectors and linedefs into a logical spacial order, and then must be run through a blockmap generator to be used.

ok. sounds like there's some support for this. i'll set up a wad (and eliminate all the ones i feel are too shitty to have to work with). then i'll just let people pick map numbers before i upload it (you may as well now). how's friday sound for a start date?

this thread seems to have gotten lost. i guess i'll move the start date to sunday. that is, if some people take some slots...

heh I'd rather modify the SLIGE engine to do the detail for me :P

uh... not now, i am currently in da 1 room contest..

yeah but then everyone might go for the same map... how about i generate a megawad for each person involved and they can pick a map?

Ralphis said:

Make the wad, THEN let us pick our slots.

Not if it's first come first serve.

Nanami said:

How big are the maps going to be, by the way?

i don't know, is there even a way to change that in slige?

BlackFish said:

I'll take map30! :D

if you read up you'll see i changed it so i'll send each participant a slige megawad, and they can use whichever map they so choose.

sure, or IRC, or i can upload them. whatever way works best for people. it's not like slige megawads are huge, my first test was only 340k (compressed).

sargebaldy said:

i don't know, is there even a way to change that in slige?

Yes, there are paremeters that control the number of rooms a level has, the difficulty settings, the average light level, the texture themes, and about a thousand other things.

well if i don't use that it'll just vary more between maps, right? if each person gets to choose a map from a megawad the more it varies the better, i think, to give people a selection that better fits what they want.

I don't know if it'll vary or not. It may just have defaults it goes by unless you tell it otherwise.

well in my experience running it with no options i've noticed quite a bit of variety. i get everything from those long straight ones to kind of dinky small ones with only a few ugly rooms to fairly large ones with lots of switches to click. i think using the defaults should work ok.

post here or pm me if you'd like to receive a slige megawad to choose a map from within the next 24 hours and i'll pm you all with a link to your very own slige megawads whenever i wake up saturday. sound good?

oh, and i think i should mention also, this'll be a boom compatible set so feel free to use boom stuff if you'd like.