Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sandman

Doom 3 md2/md3 project

This post was orginally for doom connector forums but has moved...

I am trying to get enough people to help out in conveting doom 3 models to doom 2 (gl/jdoom/zdoomgl, any doom that supports gl). Some of you may wounder about how the high polys will be done, I don't know yet, I will try to handle this though, I may edit them and take out a few polys or leave them as be if the engine I choose to use has no errors. If it is just plain impossible then I will wait for MD3 but from whats going on now I don't plan to do that.
I need some people to help out ONLY if you are experinced with graphics/modeling or have a fast connection and can host our files.
I AM NOT GOING TO TELL YOU WHERE TO GET DOOM 3 FROM (it is only a alpha anyway) so please dont ask. I have the models on ICQ though, and if they are not there when you check they will be, as well as sounds, im planning on using sounds too, so if anyone can find out please contact me.

It would be a whole lot better if you just waited until the full version of the game was released for many reasons.

1 - The full version will have far more and better looking models
2 - The full version will be widely available at that time and you will get many more resposes
3 - There may be editors and converters at that time which will allow you to do it yourself
4 - When the full version is released, more people (not everyone) will turn to making maps for Doom 3 instead
5 - The full version will be legal

Legal is one thing, thats why im not telling anyone where to get the "game" itself, the models are diffrent, once I convert them and port them to a engine I am going to release it as a beta.

sandman said:

Legal is one thing, thats why im not telling anyone where to get the "game" itself, the models are diffrent, once I convert them and port them to a engine I am going to release it as a beta.

I'm sure ID will be thrilled.

It may be possible, any way I convert them I will and I will try to make Zdoom/Jdoom Compatible of using them by editing here and there, either way I will try my hardest to get this right, try to make doom more of a scary game then a shootum up game, if you played any of my levels from 2 years or so ago you would know that I dont put 30+ demons in one spot.

This sounds very illegal. How would you like me to convert models for free you worked hard on and for a retail game and distribute it on the net?

Mr. Chris >>> Well I wouldent like it very much, but that is just me. If you don't like what im doing then just ignor this Thread.

You've forgotten one important thing here - the Doom3 monster skins are drawn with little to no shadowing, since this is accomplished by the normalmap ingame. Basically, if you put the models into Jdoom they will look all shitty and flat.

This sort of thing must be illegal. I mean, next you'll want people to make maps based on doom 3 and then you'll have doom3 in doom2 and the people won't have to buy it! And if you don't make the levels after this then someone will! This seems like it woul not turn out well.

Oh, and that shadows thing.

DunBar >>> The game will be alot better than this, and I don't WANT people to do anything, this is a project, all I am doing is taking models from doom 3 and porting them to doomgl or any other gl engine, sense there is no copywright as of now because of the game being released as a leak then there is no illegal actions that they can take against me. People will still play the game, I don't know why you would think that they would not want to just because they have a copy of doom 2 with some engine and doom 3 models and sounds... seems like dumb comment to make, and levels are another thing, I don't plan to release levels from the alpha nor ask people to make them, I don't know where you came up with that but that will never happen, and if it does I will e-mail Id and ask them for there permission, as of now these models may change in the retail, either way there is no illegal stuff going on here.