Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nick Perrin

Community Weapons Mod- Submit your favourite weapon ideas!!

As a few of you know, I am starting a new 'community weapons mod' for EDGE. As EDGE is the #1 platform for such mods, the choice is unanimous(also EDGE is my area of specialty, so i don't really have a choice, but it is the best for weapons anyway).

This mod will consist of 30-40 weapons. People have always been making threads about what weapons would you like to see in a mod, if you could create a crazy doom weapon what would it be, etc. etc.

Well, here's your lucky chance! I will take any and all suggestions that you have for a doom weapon. I will accept the best/coolest/most original weapon ideas(i need to have a limit on the number of weapons here, most will only be available by cheats anyway(or custom levels)). I will build the weapons, but if you have a certain idea of what you think your weapon should act like, feel free to submit sprites, sounds, code, whatever.

I am looking forward to many cool weapon ideas, but only one per user is allowed, so think up your best demon-killing machine!

Of course, when this mod is finished, weapons will be continuously added to it in add-ons, and custom level patches will be appreciated so you can actually use the weapons without cheating.

So, tell me any ideas, even if you think it wouldn't be possible. Because it probably might be.

My weapon for this mod: Either a time-stopping device that runs on some kind of immense battery power, or an orbital ion cannon uplink. Both very large-scale weapons, i'm gonna need some good melee and simple ones too(This mod will have a shitload of custom death animations!)

Thank you!

It's a new one. Also, I've changed one of the weapons a bit because the balance was way off. As for the second hub, all I have to do is maps 11 and 12, and they shouldn't take too much longer.

I hope, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up missing it by a couple of weeks.

My idea for a new weapon would be something like the BFG, but it would be called a Compreshion Gun. I would think that it would sound like a mixture of an exposion of a rocket and a streching of a large rubber band. I don't understand what you mean by codes.... but i think that you meen cheats to get it. Its cheat would be: "comGslice".

I hope that that is clear enough, Nick.... but if not PM me and i will describe it better.

by code i mean coding, like the coding in the mod that makes the weapon work.

Oh, and if you want to submit an idea, don't just give me a name... explain how it works/what it does!!

Nick Perrin said:

by code i mean coding, like the coding in the mod that makes the weapon work.

Oh, and if you want to submit an idea, don't just give me a name... explain how it works/what it does!!

I don't know codeing, but I can tell you what the gun does.

The Compresion gun is like a miniture BFG. It shoots out a ball shaped projectile that copresses an enemy untill it implodes... The gun also affects a small raidius( like the BFG) it is good against Barons of hell!

It works by charging up some superheated magnatized plasma witth atoms of protons imbedded in it. When the plasma hits an object, it causes every atom in the body to get 2 extra protons. Soon an alpha process occures( when 2 protons are shot at something else) When an alpha partical hitts another atom, it compreses it... and soon causes a chain reacton.. With all the atoms copmrest, the demon/monster implodes! So basicly the entire bodt is squshed together until it's inerds implode.

is that enough... or not?
p.s I may soon have the sound or a drawing....

I've got a few ideas:

A Police Baton:
Primary function would be the normal whack and smack.
I haven't thought of a secondary function yet...

Broken Glass Bottle:
Primary function would be the normal stab and jab.
Secondary function would be throwing the broken glass bottle, shattering it to pieces which would damage anyone walking over it.

(shooken up) Soda Can:
Ok, here are two modes for it:

1. Normal Soda Can
That would be the average, run-of-the-mill soda can you can shake up and use as sort of a concussion grenade.(shit, I think I'll use this in MY next mod! :p)
2. Explosive Soda Can
That would be the upgrade. There's a timer you set by pressing the bottom of the soda can. After that, you shake it up, then throw it! That'll be like a regular frag grenade.

Tazer:
Primary function would be the shock attack.
There won't be a secondary function.

Dopefish Cannon:
Primary function will launch a single Dopefish to attack unsuspecting foes.
Secondary function will charge up the cannon and when you fire it, a swarm of Dopefish will gobble up anyone caught in their path! It's like a fricken swarm of locusts, except deadlier and has Dopefish!

High Frequency Blade: (that sword from MGS2)
Primary function will do the normal hack and slash.
Secondary function will put you in Defense Mode. Meaning, you hold out the blade, and if a baddy shoots you, you deflect it! It wont work with rockets though. It would be too cheap if it did.

That's all I can think of right now...

How about a laser cannon of some sort (that fires hitscan blasts).
Or melee weapons like lead pipes or katana swords.
Maybe even throwing bricks at monsters...

Lizardcommando said:

(shooken up) Soda Can:

1. Normal Soda Can
That would be the average, run-of-the-mill soda can you can shake up and use as sort of a concussion grenade.
2. Explosive Soda Can
That would be the upgrade. There's a timer you set by pressing the bottom of the soda can. After that, you shake it up, then throw it! That'll be like a regular frag grenade.

Blastola Cola!!!!

Lizardcommando said:

(shooken up) Soda Can:

1. Normal Soda Can
That would be the average, run-of-the-mill soda can you can shake up and use as sort of a concussion grenade.
2. Explosive Soda Can

http://www.gamespy.com/asp/image.asp?/legacy/top10/weaponideas/weapon9b.jpg

Pepsi Akimbo.

The longbow!

The arrow arcs, and it has a short range, but the arrows themselves are poisoned, and slowly suck away health points. You can upgrade it to, for flaming arrows and explosive arrows ect.

Well it looks like im not the only guy making a weapons mod for edge at this current time. (Counter-Doom aka DoomStrike)

I cannot think of any original weapons, but I do have a sketch for an alien rifle you might find appealing. (I'll get it later).

If you want a screenshot of what, I'm doing, you can click here (showing a reload anim). I'll put up a website for the mod soon.

Lizardcommando said:

Secondary function would be throwing the broken glass bottle, shattering it to pieces which would damage anyone walking over it.

What, just incase you happened to come for a deathmatch in your bare feet? Maybe you should just make it so that anyone who walks on it trips and does a FACEPLANT into the glass.

Wrist laser:
Unlimited ammo, like the one in perfect dark.
Primary fire: short raged cutting laser.
Secondary Fire: slower, weaker ranged shot.

Orbital death cannon:
Place beacon, run like hell (say, 10 second charge up) beam strikes from the havens and causes a huge explosion. Player can only carry one.

Soul steal:
Demonic weapon that sucks the strength from your foes and restores your health, runs on the evil sprits that posses former humans.

Explosive Shotgun:
Simple really: a shotgun loaded with explosive shells.

Holy water:
Vials of holy water thrown like Molotov cocktails, burns demons like acid.

Holy super soaker:
Super soaker full of holy water! Just as an interesting alterative to a flame thrower. (yes, I’ve played the buffy game on Xbox.

BlackFish said:

Well it looks like im not the only guy making a weapons mod for edge at this current time. (Counter-Doom aka DoomStrike)

Here are some of my ideas for weapons:

Barrels: Use any nearby barrel to pick it up and press fire to dump it's acidic flammable contents on a player/monster/whatever you feel like then either let the nukage melt the thing into a pool of goo or fire at it with another weapon to set it ablaze! Can kill weaker monsters with one barrel but may take multiple barrels to kill larger monsters. Also, If the barrel gets blown up while you're holding it, you'll either be splattered all over the walls or burned to a little gray pile of ashes. Can be a powerful weapon when used correctly, especially in ambushes!

Grab N' Punch: Like the fists, but allows you to pick up your opponent and punch him in the face several times or use him as a shield from another opponent's attacks. If you happen to get grabbed, then your health will be the determining factor in whether you're powerful enough to escape the opponent's grasp. If you manage to pull out your weapon while your opponent is holding you, you can give him a face full of lead shot/rocket/plasma/bfg by pressing fire. You also have the ability to steal one of your opponent(or victim)'s weapons by "using" him the instant after you(he) escape his(your) grasp.

Mini Mines: These little buggers sit around the level and detonate when you are unfortunate to step on one. They come in several varieties, including stealth mines and mines disguised to look like ordinary items. You can deactivate a mine by using them, then you can either throw them at players(like grenades) or you can re-lay them in known paths and wait for a victim to set one off. If you lay multiple mines near one another, when one explodes, it'll detonate the other ones and the end result will be a huge firework-like explosion.

Hahaha...

Some more ideas...

RIPPER HEART: Squeeze it to spawn a blood-red Doomguy clone, armed with a plasma gun. The clone will have 100 health, and be friendly.
(From Shadow Warrior)

ANTI-TANK WEAPON: Fires a slow missile that causes a large explosion (or chain of regular explosions), causing great damage.

PYTHON: A good-old fashioned .44 Magnum. Six shot clip. Long reload. Heavy enough to also make an effective melee weapon (Alt. Fire), with a rather-effective pistol-whip.

KAMEKAZI: If there's no way out, shove a high-powered grenade in your mouth, rush towards the enemy, and take as many as possible with you.
(Inspired by Postal 2)

CAT LAUNCHER: Everyone loves cats. And as we all know, the little bastards can put up a fair fight too. They can't take much damage, but they'll distract the enemy and scare the FUCK out of them at least. Once the launched feline hits a solid object it becomes a friendly character.
(Inspired by Postal 2)

VOODOO DOLL: Point, stab, and watch 'em squirm.
(From Blood)

I'd make these myself if I could get off my arse long enough.

Hmm, I may actually make the cat gun sometime. The graphics would sure suck though.

BFG 7500 - A prototype BFG, not unlike that gun from Half Life that's not complete yet. Looks like a normal BFG, but has parts missing from it/different parts attached. Looks incomplete. Fires a plasma ball that does the damage of 10 rockets! Takes 40-50 cells per shot, hurts user on use due to the extreme radiation from the incomplete body. If reloads are being implemented, then this would need to change cell packs after each shot.

Desert Eagle - Yeah. What else can I say?

Zomb-Bomb/Vile Grenade - A flaming severed Arch Vile head acheived after killing it. Random. You throw it at enemies like a grenade. It either explodes in a bloody firey mess on impact or after a few seconds. Resulting explosion sets monsters on fire. Hell yeah.

Cross - You spike it into the ground. For a short amount of time, any enemies that get close to it take damage, or they avoid it altogether. Maybe any dead monsters nearby come back to life and serve you as buddies when you plant it.

Molotov Cocktail - See the one in Lizard's Legacy to witness a good way it could be done.

Cyberdemon's Arm - Need I say more?

Whiskey - You pick up a bottle of whiskey one way or another. Upon drinking it, you get a small boost in health and armor. After consuming the whole bottle, Doomguy yells out a drunken curse (optional) and either smashes the bottle (after primary fire) to aquire a Broken Bottle melee weapon, or throws the bottle (Secondary fire) for moderate damage with minor area damage from the breaking glass.

Holy Hand Grenade - Works like BFG with area damage, thrown like a grenade. Player can be harmed if standing too close when it goes off, but not by the area damage. Optional King Arthur soundbyte upon toss (one... two... five!)

Riot Sheild - Protects the player from most attacks, breaks after too much stress. Cannot attack with it drawn.

Oh, and Lizardcommando's high frequency blade idea. I vote for that, too. ESPECIALLY the bullet deflection idea. But it could break after a while. Otherwise the spider mastermind would be no fun to fight.

Howitzer: Basically a remake of the cannon from Serious Sam, it fires a rocket (or cannonball) that mows through groups of enemies until it hits a wall, at which point it explodes and does area damage slightly larger than that of a rocket.

Spirit Flame: Shoots fireballs that inflict more damage the lower your health is. For instance, at 100% health or higher, it's about as powerful as an imp fireball; at 5% health, it's as damaging as an Arch-Vile blast.

Phoenix Plasma Rifle: Fires shots like that of the ordinary plasma rifle, only they're orange and can bounce off of walls twice before dissipating.

Abomination: Shoots fireballs that inflict more damage the greater your health is, but reduce it by a certain percentage with each shot.

Trip Mines: Like the ones from Duke3D, they inflict explosive damage when an enemy (or player, for that matter) crosses its path. Might be difficult to do, though - it'd basically need to create new linedefs to work. I dunno.

Napalm Launcher: Shoots a wad of napalm (perhaps looking like a Mancubus flamethrower shot) that, when it hits an enemy (upon impact with a wall or enemy it throws out area damage w/ this effect), continues to inflict minor/moderate damage for 10 seconds.

Microwave Gun: Rapid-fire plasma-type weapon that can fire through doors, but not walls.

Baal's Gauntlet: Fires 3 Baron of Hell shots in an arc. Has fairly limited ammo.

Assassin: Think hitscan explosive/area damage. Has scarce ammo and long reload time.

Oh, and of course: shovel. :)

One of my favorite weapons of all time was that one from Heretic(or was it Hexen?) that changes the enemies into pigs :)

And don't forget a flame thrower!! O dear God, a weapons PC MUST have a flame thrower ;)

nice responses everyone! But remember, only one gun per person can be accepted (unless i really like the weapon ideas, or more than one person wants it).

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Blastola Cola!!!!

Heh, you know that game too. :)

My idea would be a big bad bastard-sword. It's main advantage over the fists should be a slightly greater reach and a slightly more powerful hit making it good for hit-and run style attacks.

Trasher][ said:
CAT LAUNCHER: Everyone loves cats. And as we all know, the little bastards can put up a fair fight too. They can't take much damage, but they'll distract the enemy and scare the FUCK out of them at least. Once the launched feline hits a solid object it becomes a friendly character.
(Inspired by Postal 2)

Catapult?

Lobo said:

One of my favorite weapons of all time was that one from Heretic(or was it Hexen?) that changes the enemies into pigs :)

The Porkelator. There's a similar one in Heretic that turns things into chickens. Also, in Hexen 2, it's sheep.