Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rich

Enter (cyc-a.wad) UV Max

nice, and T/NC isnt even up yet, which means everyone knows where the secrets are now! heh. i did try to think of UVmax and UVspeed when putting it together even though it is just a first tentative fondling of the doom engine for me :-)

cycloid said:

nice, and T/NC isnt even up yet, which means everyone knows where the secrets are now! heh. i did try to think of UVmax and UVspeed when putting it together even though it is just a first tentative fondling of the doom engine for me :-)

Thanks. :)

I think you did a good job. The design and mix/placement of monsters allowed for a fun demo. I wouldn't worry about secrets revealed because there are a lot more players at Doomworld than those few who downloaded this zip. As to those who might record it, it's fairly common to first look under an editor for secrets.

i wasnt worrying, i was just having a laugh, heh. i'm glad you liked it. i tried to keep the central area, well, central to the fragging. and without using monster teleports too. which i'm quite proud of :-)

Here's a zdoom demo (UV Speed, 1:24 - low quality), recorded just to show a couple of bugs/issues. I don't know what the problem with the steps is, but the zebedee-style archie jump might just be a zdoom bug (or "feature").

cycazbug.zip

well i tested it with zdoom 50 when i was making it. i and had a few goes now with 53 and couldnt reproduce the stairs, but, then i quit out and changed my mind and loaded it again and watched the demo in iddt mode again. Then tried again, this time without collecting the box of shells next to it, they wouldnt raise, but the next two times it wouldnt raise them nomatter what, shells or not. where the mancubus is doesnt seem to change it.

i reccomended prboom in the readme anyway :-)

as for the archvile jump, i was wandering if it was possible, the extra height will be a zdoom thing too, remember also, you only need to be high enough to be low enough to step onto the platform = 24 units i think , so that reduces it to 104, heh.

well i was gonna hold back a bit longer before having a go at my own map but i just couldnt resist. this is a 1:30 uv speed recording. it's my first exit and despite about 120 attempts i just could not better it, despite the fact that in this recording i loose about 6 seconds immediatley before and after the invulnerability sphere. there was 1 other demo where i was on fire and got all my optimisations in perfectly, but alas in my adrenalin fuelled haste i strafed off the stepping stones right after killing the two arachnids, woud have been a 1:22 i reckon as i was still invulnerable at that point too!

now lets see who else dare attempt "the jump" :-)

cyca-130.zip

That's a nice jump. Not insanely difficult with -nomonsters (just needs accuracy), but pulling it off when under fire is impressive.

I had a crazy idea that you might be able to jump to the exit from the lowering pillar just after you teleport back to the central area - maybe rocket (& suicide) assisted. What I mean is that you fire at the last possible moment so that the rocket does hit the wall next to you, you die at that point and your corpse flies through the tiny gap that has opened up behind you by then, and reaches the exit. I've had no luck with it though, and maybe (probably!) it's just an absurd impossibility.

yeah i've attempted that myself :-) i timed my "nearly run" with a stopwatch and due to different mistakes it was only 2 seconds faster. the only other main time saver is to lower the secret (invuln) lift THEN grab the soulsphere, hit the switch and get back on in time to be hiked up, which i did in aforementioned failed run. otherwise it's all down to the luck of monster placement really.

incidentally the jump wasnt a deliberate inclusion, i had widened the crack twice to make it strafe50 proof but then realised i could launch off the broken pillar. i made the central pillar higher to make it more difficult but left it for people to find. but obviously i didnt give anyone a chance :-)