Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Hell Revealed 2 Demopack

I've been meaning to check out HR2 for some time now. The releas of the demopack came as the perfect opertunity to get a showcase w/o having to lift a finger (suits retired bastards well :) A job well done to the demopack crew...not the most optimized demoset around perhaps but its got a variety of players involved to make things interesting.

This might not be the thread for it, but I figured I'd leave some comments on HR2 while I'm at it. Putting together a megawad is an achivement in itselfe, especially when you can showcase as few bugs and as flawless texture alignment as this. I'm sure Andy Olivera made alot of doomers thankfull for spending time wrapping together this long long overdue mapset.

My personal opinion of the wad as whole is not entirely positive tho. Infact I'd not rate it among my favourite level sets at all. Most of the levels seem to be lacking atmosphere and consept; alot of connected hallways and underdetailed rooms fit together to create medium sized levels of the kind we've seen come and go through the years. The original Hell Revealed might not be architecturally striking, but the levels had character and consept and ideas behind them. Each level had something memorable about it (say for the ones in the first episode), and the gameplay was an unique slaughterfeast.

HR2 looks more like a beefed up Memmento Mori sequal with a lesser amount of memorable maps. The levels do not fit the amount of monsters crammed into them most of the time and this makes for waves of critters moving down stairways or lining up in slim hallways, or teleporting out in endless streams; you do not get the open field grand scale battles say for a few exceptions. For a quick comparison AV suffer from the same syndrom in a few maps, but I think we managed to sacrifice hardness for gameplay flow most of the time.

Drab and unstriking designs aside, the homage map thing was overdone as well. A few sections of a map like in "Dis2000" woulda been ok, recreating a level more or less strike me as utterly pointless and unimaginative tho (as is the case with map13 and map15). Maps like 23, an early creation by Mattias Berggren, shoulda been replaced for sure.

I wish more of the levels could have ideas and solid themes behind them like Chroz' map29 - Hell's Cauldron. Now thats a HR styled level for ya, with an interesting and simplistic design to remember. Map09, the cage thing, was also clever and refreshing, and the city styled requiem inspired map19 both looks and plays good.

Chroz and Yashar are very capable map-authors as proven with other releases, no offense ment to them or anyone else who put time and effort into getting this MW out. It might not be to my personal liking at all, but I'm sure it will please alot of coop hungry pple looking for loaded maps.

controversial yeah...

I think Andy is a bit harsh on the remake maps... which I think are real nice and follow the theme of the former ones.

For the rest I agree 100% with Andy, some maps are really too crampy to pretend being HR2... and some maps look like regular maps which have been sprinkled a bit difficulty/monster-wise.

I was also very disappointed not to see Zokum's map29 in HR2 final.
But I guess the demopack would have never been completed considering the difficulty of the map :)

VinceDSS said:

I was also very disappointed not to see Zokum's map29 in HR2 final.

Okay, this is the 243rd time I hear about Zokum's MAP29 epic.

Where is it?

I want to see it :P

OMG. Map 29 took about 29 minutes and 11 seconds! That's almost twice as long as it can take to beat Doom2.
But it is a huge level...