Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Astewart41

Shadowcasting doesn't work. :(

Okay, once again, hard at work with Shadowcasting effects. (Shadowcasting is making a floor/ceiling illuminated without the whole sector being so)

I did it EXACTLY like they said to, DoomEd works fine for ALL the other SFX, and the Nodesbuilder has no problem working with it.

Like before, well...

Basically, Sector 340 was Lava Pool that was to have a lighted floor (255) but the ceiling stays darkened.

Sector 341 was the sector intended to be used to achieve this effect. The sector is COMPLETELY self-referincing, all LineDefs reference back to 341.

But yet, I can WALK on that sector, and the player is illuminated, yet, the floor still appears dark! Ahhh! Help!

Basically, Sector 340 was Lava Pool that was to have a lighted floor (255) but the ceiling stays darkened ... Sector 341 was the sector intended to be used to achieve this effect.

Tag sector 340 (e.g. tag 99). Then use the light-transfer special on one of the linedefs on sector 341, and reference tag 99.

Btw, the sector itself should have the higher light value, otherwise it will look odd to walk into a dark sector that has a well-lit floor. However, if the ceiling is being illuminated by, say, an angled light (using ZDooM slopes) near the ceiling then it's OK to have a darkened sector with a well-lit ceiling.

Does anyone here know of a way to remedy this without being SourcePort dependent? I mean, thanks for helping and all, but the only SourcePort dependent project I'm doing this for is EDGE, but this effect I want to be achievable without using any Special Linedefs/Sector Specials, etc...

Mordeth, can you help out on this one maybe?

Mordeth, can you help out on this one maybe?

http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx6.shtml

Do keep in mind that this is nodebuilder-specific, which is why there are several diagrams for the three different nodebuilders tested (BSP, Warm, Dmapedit) if you combine this trick with other stuff.

The basic principle is to insert a new sector (B) inside an existing one (A). Sector A has the properties of the surrounding sectors (like, low light level, a certain floor en ceiling height. Sector B has a much higher ceiling height (say, 500 units above that of sector A) and is brightly lit. Now, the trick is to remove the upper textures of sector's B linedef's. The Doom engine will now draw the (low light level) ceiling of the surrounding sector (which is, A) across the "gap", which will make it look like the floor of sector "B" is brighty lit while its ceiling remains dark.

It gets a bit more complicated when you want to create this effect in combination with other effects, such as deep water. See the URL above for more information.

I got it working. The problem was that the sector WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE SELF-REFERENCING! Ahhh! Nice tutorial, Mordeth! Thanks! :)

I got it working. The problem was that the sector WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE SELF-REFERENCING! Ahhh! Nice tutorial, Mordeth! Thanks! :)

* Katgut milks AStewart

* Katgut milks AStewart

/ReX and the others wait patiently in line for the cream.