Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DaJuice

Weapon reloads

Don't know if this topic has already been discussed, but do you think ID will put reloads for all the guns in Doom3? It's not really realistic to have the shotgun blasting 50 rounds without reloading once. The thing is, would reloads enhance the game, or just ruin the tempo of heated battles?

What do you think..
The SuperShotGun reloads dim wit..
/plugs you with duck, who himself is wearing jesus's halo.

Well, since you asked this in an intelligent way, I will give you a real answer. I understand that, even by today's standards, a game can get away with not including weapon reload. It is mainly determined by the atmosphere of the game.
Should Doom 3 have reload? Yes.
The video (which is all we really have to go off of at the moment) shows that Doom 3 will have a very serious tone. If you ask me, iD has almost trapped itself into the position of creating a realistic experience. Real lighting, natural movement of enemies, and the highly detailed environments... well how would something as blatant as the lack of weapon reloading affect the realism of the atmosphere?
Now, by no means am I suggesting that Doom 3 should take realism to the point where one shot can kill you or your enemies... that does tend to get in the way of a game's fun factor. But weapon reloading has been accepted into the FPS genre, and, for most of us, it does nothing to hinder gameplay.

NO NO and NO

(except for the shotguns)

and I almost forgot.....NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

RECTUM SPECTRUM RECTUM SPECTRUM!!!

w000000000000t!

I agree to EllipsusD, but it should be a very fast reload. Maybe not as fast as Serious Sam reloads his pistols, but as fast as SoF´s Mullins does it. And not as sleapy as Gordon Freeman puts every single shell into his gun (I know, he´s just a scientist assistant...). And reload animations should look cool, a bit overstyled, action movie like :)

Ellipsus said it better than I could have. I'm pretty sure the game will have reloads too, especially since you're probably not going to face more than 5 enemies at once.

I'm already imagining Imps crawling down a dark corridor while you backstep reloading your rifle, and just before they claw you, firegun starts...

I'm already imagining Imps crawling down a dark corridor while you backstep reloading your rifle, and just before they claw you, firegun starts...

I hope they'll keep the * B L A S T * sound from Doom...

My point was that it wouldn't be appropriate for Doom3 NOT to have reloads. The game is obviously gonna be a lot more realistic than previous dooms, so I pretty much expect it to have this "feature". And I'm sure the space marine will no longer be able to run at 50mph either.

People tend to forget that FPS universes designed with today's engines look really, really goofy when they start distorting the concept of reality. Not reality as terrorist and realistic weapons, but Cyberdemon or not, rocket impacts should be a LOT more powerful.

Yeah Zaldron, that's true. Shooting something point blank should get blood on the gun while we're at it. What's more, it should get clean again when you jump into water. So long as the blood is still wet you should see it cloud off. If it's had time to dry it should stick to the gun. If it gets scratched it should be scratched, dammit, show some paint or finish peel right offa the thing. Shooting it fifty times in a row real fast should make the barrel glow too.

What's more, the damn thing should be able to be shot out of your hands or broken.

Who says you just have to shoot with it? You could use a solid shotgun like a good club when you're low on ammo, just bludgeon some of the weak enemies out of your way.

Of course, id hasn't done shit lately except focus on graphics so we can expect NOTHING in the terms of gameplay or realism. I'm still expecting guns like Q3A with no reload, just shells shooting out of the barrel.

here is the deal on realism in games:

-if you get hit with a bullet, you die
-you cannot "heal" instantly, possibly you cannot heal at all
-you cannot jump more than 2 meters in lenght or 50 centimeters in height
-you can't carry more than a pistol and another gun
-you cannot store vast amounts of ammo. ie:100 rockets
-you kill every monster with a rocket blast

now, tell me that you would love a game with those "features"...

I know iD developed some bad habits with the Quake series, but somehow I just can't picture Doom 3 without reloading.

The thing is, Q3A didn't have reloading bacause it was all about Deathmatch, and Q2 came out before reloading became a really common feature, so it's probably just some sort of sick coincidence that the feature hasn't been in any iD games yet.

Now that it's so much in demand, I'm sure it'll be in "the game", considering the style they're going for this time.

Reloading is cool, but for a Chaingun ? NO ! or a energybased
Gun NO !
DooM 3 will be more realistic than DooM 1 and 2 so there will be reloading.But it won`t be too realastic, than it would not be DooM ! ! !

You have to remember that they invented several of the weapons, so it's up to them to say whether or not you reload them. Personally, I see the plasma rifle as a reloadable gun, like you drop a cell pack in. I see a BFG having like a three shot to one pack ratio, but I don't see the chaingun reloading at all. Although spin up/spin down would be pretty cool. Especially if you could spin the barrel independently of firing.

DC

heh that would be very cool...
/me walks with the barrels of the chaningun rotating...

id has been deeply involved in RTCW development. While they might have not came up with the coolest idea, because that's probably Gray Matter's job, they know the RIGHT and WRONG stuff. DooM 3 will have everything RTCW has, as a minimum, so I'm not particulary worried now, deadnail.

Watch what you mean when you say "realism". For instance, Half-Life, SoF, Rainbow Six are all relativly realistic games - I mean if you shoot someone in the head they die usually (right?). This type of realism would kill the fun of games like doom (with a bullet to the head, HEHE, no pun intended :).

The Cybie took 20 rockets to kill because gameplay balance demanded it. He didnt have any special jump-kick moves or any karate-style chop to put you out with (ie, he wasnt very smart, things would change if he acted like a bot). Since he's a big, dumb enemy (iD guys may ahve realized this about their monster AI ), he will have to have a powerful weapon which spells disaster if you are even hit by it, and alot of health because he will be taking lots of injuries which he cannot avoid (because the player will be strafing all overthe place pluggin' his ass left and right).

If the Cybie was realistic, he might only be able to take 3-5 rockets mandatory (or one to the head), he would be completely bullet-proof against rifle bullets and shotguns (of any kind), and it'd only take one bfg blast to tear him a new asshole.

-----

About the Reloading:

I dont remember Duke3d's pistol too well, but this would probably be an appropriate reloading time for Doom3's pistol. THe shotgun had better goddamit have a clip of some kind - although drums take longer to reload. If there will be a double-barreled shotgun it will have to accept clips as well (no more of this single shot stuff - something like Q2's ssg might work). Anything with multiple barrels using bullets is going to take one helluva amount of time to reload, you have to meticulously feed the belt of bullets into the gun. Rockets should be single-shot weapons, reloading and firing about as fast as the Doom2 SSG does.