Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

Discussion about the old pic

Guys, I was really suprised by the fact that the pic of Jim Dose working on Doom didn't generate much intrest...
I mean, Zaldron was the only one who said something about the content of the pic instead of saying things about the pic itself (what most of you did).
Now come on guys!
This forum is pretty dead lately due to lack of any new information about Doom so let's light this place up!

Comments about the pic:

The file "game_iktail.h" could mean realistic physics (ala, bodies dragged realistically on the floor, chairs, tables, etc follow the law of physics, etc etc...).
Some of this stuff can already be seen in Hitman: Codename 47 and Severance: Blade Of Darkness.
Although, if it is there, it will be implemented even more realistically (the comment about the file "game_iktail.h" was first made by Zaldron back when the picture was released).

Notice the Doom technology demo window which might be used in the test version itself (which might be released towards the end of this year - probably in time for the CPL on December 2001).

The window itself is quiet small so my speculation is that the game is running (or was run) in 640x480 or 800x600 resolution (now, if I could only make Jim comment on this one...).

Notice that the font on the loading menu is identical to the one used on both Q3A and Q3TA (but I still suspect it will be changed in the future).

The map loaded there is obviouly the one from the MacWorld demo and was made by Xian (Christian Antkow - level designer).
I am sure he wasn't the only one making this map so the loading map might be only his part.
One thing I couldn't understand is the name of the map itself:
"DC3_02" (no extension has been given as well, I do know it is not *.bsp - thx god for this!)

If you look carefully, you'll see the first icon of the game!
It's a pretty general Doom icon and will probably change several times in the future...

The game is coded in Visual C++ unlike previous id games which were coded in straight C language (the code is pretty easy for understanding due to this...).
I am still waiting for the .plan update Carmack promised about the advantages of this move.

Alright, that's about all I could get from this pic that is related to Doom.

Now, programmers, do you see anything else?

And now, to some non Doom related stuff:

Jim Dose has a BIG icq contact list! (although, I couldn't find him and half the people on it).

Notice that he has two text files opened: "jimd.txt" and "personal todo.txt".
If I could only see their content...
Although, I have a good idea of the content of the second file...

Also, if you look at the bottom far right corner of the pic, you'll see that Jim has an uncheked email (probably from John Carmack with tons of new code to test and implement :)

You guys consider this long?!?
Remember my old posts about engines??
Now that's what I call long!

Now, back to the topic please :)

Too bad that this forum is REALLY dead. I mean, just take a look at the responses. I always bitch about "We need fresh ideas", but I'm sure most of the guys here would just post nonsense, even in such a weird case.

Too bad that this forum is REALLY dead. I mean, just take a look at the responses. I always bitch about "We need fresh ideas", but I'm sure most of the guys here would just post nonsense, even in such a weird case.

Well you're sure doing a good job answering his questions as well.

I don't have to. I made all the screenshots remarks some time ago. It's not my fault the database exploded :P

Hi. I thought that screenshot was pretty increadible, too, seeing as how the development of the new Doom is kept so tightly underwraps.

I noticed that in the output window, or whatever, there's a dll located in a WINNT directory. I don't know much about operating systems, but didn't Carmack say that they were using Win2000 for development, now?

Second, that must be some system he has, that can run Doom3 AND Outlook at the same time. I know stuff gets paged to hard disk to make more room, but still...

They're using c++ exception handling, at least at the moment. I heard that this can give a slight performance hit to things. But they might have found a way around this, or they might just be using it to debug the code.

Can anyone tell from the registers view, what kind of proccessor is being used?

Anyway, this was a great discussion idea-- how much can we deduce from this morsel of a screenshot, about the new Doom?

Of course they're debugging. It's nice to have concrete and clever explanations of why your program doesn't even go beyond the init phase.

As for the OS, Win2000 and NT have pretty much the same core.