Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom 3 Review Rush

As expected the megaton of Doom 3 reviews have started up. Here's a couple:

Phew. Gamespot also has a bunch of gameplay movies up if you still haven't played Doom 3 but want to pretend you can.

Yes, 8.5, and like I said in another thread, I think that's a perfectly reasonable rating considering what I've read on these forums so far.

I agree. The game is good, but it's certainly not worthy of 10/10 or 5/5 or even 95/100 (8.5/10 is pretty spot on really, maybe even 8/10, but I'm not one to hand out scores of 90% and you'd never see me rate any game at 100%)... wait a couple weeks until the initial OMG factor dies down. Similar things happened with games like Alice and Black & White (and probably Daikatana, though from the other end).

I'm having a particularly hard time avoiding all the screenshots and hints for the actual game. I have to upgrade to a new PC to play DOOM 3 myself, and can't afford it for a few months. And everyone I know has DOOM 3 (some legal, some not), and they keep trying to give a copy to me or give me all the details of what they have played so far.

I want to know a little as possible so I can enjoy being surprised with everything for the first time without saying "oh, that's what he described to me". And I want to buy the game because it's stupid not to. id deserves every penny for this game. Even though I've only seen a few old-old screenshots long ago, I know that this game lives up to the hype, especially knowing the talent that worked on it (especially Kenneth Scott). That's my $0.02. :)

Gamespot also gave Doom II an 8.5, so I guess we have ourselves another classic.

And they are wise; giving both The Ultimate DOOM & DOOM II a 10 on Gameplay.

Heh the Gamespot review link takes you to the third page of the review o_O

Well I've played the game and I think Gamespot really summed it up well in that review. Their reviews are the only ones I actually respect anyway, and I agree with most everything they said. Save the part about the savegame feature having a negative impact on the gameplay...we all remember FarCry right? (Although...it DID get a 9.2 :/)...nonetheless the games definetly worth buying!

A few things I don't like: The enemies/demons dissapear totally when you gib them...I'd like a few remains. With the demons, maybe some skeletal parts and ash or something. With the zombies, I think you should be able to dismember them, and not have them just blow up a la Half-Life.

phatbin said:

Well I've played the game and I think Gamespot really summed it up well in that review. Their reviews are the only ones I actually respect anyway, and I agree with most everything they said. Save the part about the savegame feature having a negative impact on the gameplay...we all remember FarCry right? (Although...it DID get a 9.2 :/)...nonetheless the games definetly worth buying!

A few things I don't like: The enemies/demons dissapear totally when you gib them...I'd like a few remains. With the demons, maybe some skeletal parts and ash or something. With the zombies, I think you should be able to dismember them, and not have them just blow up a la Half-Life.

There is a mod to make the bodies stay put. ^_^