Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zro

One stupid question...

I am pretty good Doom player, but a total newbie in editing.

So, I tried to recreate my first-ever map, (that was accidentaly deleted) the map has a building staircase, connecting two rooms. the rooms floor heights are 0 and 128, and normal stairs descent from the higher room.

The problem is that when the switch to activate the building stairs is activated, the higher room also goes up, and the something strange happens to the normal stairs also.

I think that I had the same problem with the original version, and solved it, but then something weird beginned to happen in other parts of the map, but i can't be sure was it because of the stairs.

I used DETH to create the original version, and now I'm using ZETH, (for trying) to take advantage of Zdoom's specials.

The part about the higher room also going up can be solved by flipping the last linedef of the stairs (the one between the last step and the upper room.) Dont know about the other part though, can you be more specific?

Sounds like you could be having a problem that perplexed me for ages.

It's a while since I set up some old style doom rising stairs, but I think it is something like this: If your rising steps and the room beyond all have the same floor flat, doom will raise the room as well. If the steps and the room have different flats, only the steps rise. Of course, the source ports offer other stair building options. Not sure what all the implications there are. I usually build stairs in ZdoomHexen mode, which is quite different.

Anyone else remember this a bit more clearly?

Seriously, just flip the last linedef. Doom builds stairs until it encounters a sector X with no two-sided linedefs with their first side facing X.

You might also check to be sure that the sector that is the room is not tagged to be a rising stair. Most likely there should be no tag on that room/sector unless you are doing something else to it.

... the map has a building staircase .. switch to activate the building stairs is activated, the higher room also goes up

I don't remember all "problems", but I just tested the DeePsea sample level DOOM2.TUT with a rising stair. I flipped the last linedef and made all same flats. Neither of these make any difference.

Too lazy to look at the DOOM code, so I'll judge from my own experience converting DOOM levels to HEXEN:) I had to figure out the "connected sectors" (by following the connected lines, using emperical rules about stairs, thus being able to determine what sectors they were) and I'm assuming DOOM does something similar (but I could be wrong - nah).

It is correct that when it hits a sector that has 1-sided linedefs, that stops a stair. However, that linedef can be 2-sided (as it is in DOOM2.TUT), but the final sector is 1-sided in "other" linedefs.

I'll make another test and see.

Ok, got it. If you terminate the stair "inside" a sector and have the linedef facing "in", the room you are in will also rise. So make sure all the linedefs face "out" (sidedef1 points to the sector the stair is in).

Btw, I'm assuming you don't have any "sector not closed" errors - (see error checker).