Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

World War 2 stories

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

Got a good WW2 story your Grandpa or someone told ya? Post it here. I got a good one, but I'll post it later.

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

The problem about that is, THIS AIN'T FICTION. I'm just bored, so tell an old family WWII story, if ya have any... I'll post mine eventually...

i got one, but not much of one. my grand dad on my mom's side fought in wwII. He fought the japanish people. He joined the navy at 16, and fought at that age, had to lie to get in. I dont know how he did or what his parents thought becuase he never said. He was a gunner on a boat for a while until one day his PT boat was bombed. he and several others survived but i think spend a few days floating in the ocean. They had to worry about sharks too. well he was rescuded, or i would not be dooming now, but had nightmares for years. He never really talked about it, and when he did we were so young. Next time i see him i will ask to hear some war stories

My grandpa was in the Canadian Royal Tank Corps., he was the comms end. One time during the war, he came down with pneumonia, and had to hospitalised (duh!) for like 3 weeks. Anyways, while he was hospitalised, his tank was hit, and the guy replacing him was killed. Kinda freaky when I think about it. And his brother, my grand-uncle Reg was doing work insde the country, he was in Quebec during the period of martial law. Well, that's what ya get for trading secrets to the Nazis AND refusing to go to war. Stupid frogs.

He was a gunner on a boat for a while until one day his PT boat was bombed. he and several others survived but i think spend a few days floating in the ocean. They had to worry about sharks too. well he was rescuded, or i would not be dooming now, but had nightmares for years. He never really talked about it, and when he did we were so young.

/me is reminded of the 'war story' scene from Jaws.
Anywaste, my Grandpa was stationed in North Africa during WWII. He was in Egypt for most of the time, where he befriended a local boy who he was in correspondance with for a long time after (perhaps to this day). I remember he showed my pictures of the Sphinx, and they had to pack sandbags under it's head so it wouldn't fall off during a nearby bombing run.

My Grandfather fought Germans on France Beaches with American soldiers...
He's never talk about that very much.
But when I saw "SAVING PRIVATE RYAN" with him,
he just said (talking about the first 15 minutes)
"that was the same atrocity" with a blood red turned sea...
He's dead now, 2 years ago.

My grandfather was 9 years old when World War II broke out here in Belgium, and he watched that entire war from a first row seat, so there's loads of stuff to tell. Like the time he got *this* close to getting shot at point blank range with a machinegun when he was twelve. Or those glorious moments of liberation and triumph, when American and English tanks finally rolled into the streets, and everyone knew the Third Reich was brought to its knees.

Though the only thing I can really think of right now is something that happened after the war. In 1950 my grandfather joined the military and went to a Belgian military base in Germany to train there. He was a radio communications guy at the time, I think. Anyway, he and his buddies were unloading tank shells from a tank one day and for no particular reason, the whole lot just exploded.

A dozen or so of my grandfather's closest friends were immediately killed. He himself suffered heavy injuries and was brought to a military hospital in England, where he spent almost a year. In the end, he lost his right arm and can't get trough any metal detectors anymore because his body still contains dozens of little fragmented pieces of shrapnel. But probably the thing most spectacular to me is that he pulled trough, put the accident behind him and just built up a normal life despite his severe handicap. And excuse me if I get all mellow and shit, but I really respect him for that.

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

My Grandfather fought Germans on France Beaches with American soldiers...
He's never talk about that very much.
But when I saw "SAVING PRIVATE RYAN" with him,
he just said (talking about the first 15 minutes)
"that was the same atrocity" with a blood red turned sea...
He's dead now, 2 years ago.

If your grandfathers stormed the beaches of Normandy, or any other heavily defended fortification where many were killed, it's best not to ask them about it. It'll bring back too many horrible memories...

Anyhwho, my great-uncle was in the navy, and his ship was going through the Atlantic. While he was sleeping, a British oiler tanker tore through the ship, splitting it in half. By the time he'd woken up and realized what was going on, the door was OVER HIS HEAD. He and his roommate got out... but when they all got together, his friend was nowhere to be seen. He's most likely dead, it seems... That was the only action my great-uncle ever experienced.

Another thing, he was aboard a ship which FDR was on while he was talking to some king or something... in fact there is either some footage or pictures of the meeting, and he's in it! The problem is, his back was facing the camera.. heh.

...And I thank all of ya for your stories.

You gotta be referring to the book, Danarchist, cuz Jaws the movie didn't have the war flashback that I recall...the movie lacked A LOT that made the book so damned good...although his best that I've read was either The Beast or White Shark.

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

The irony of this is just sickening" - Calvin and Hobbes

C & H owned back in the day... ahhhhhhh........ those were the days.

hmmm, my grandfather was in the polish cavalry during WW2...he never talked about it much - he did mention however
that he got captured, and put in some camp but managed to escape...that's all i really know...i wish i would've talked to him more when he was still alive...ehh =/

My one grandfather was a tank commander during the final rush on Berlin. When my dad visited Germany earlier this year, he marvelled about how quickly and easily they travelled through places that people had fought for every inch of only fifty years ago. And how a hardened bunker on the German/Belgium border had been converted into a rest stop.

My other grandfather was in the Navy, and fought in the Aleutian islands when the Imperial Japanese held turf up there. And you thought Hell would be warm...

You gotta be referring to the book, Danarchist, cuz Jaws the movie didn't have the war flashback that I recall...the movie lacked A LOT that made the book so damned good...although his best that I've read was either The Beast or White Shark.

Actually, I didn't even know there was a book. They did have one scene in the movie where they were sitting in the boat talking about how they got their various scars (hmmm...kinda like Chansing Amy =P). Anywaste, the sea captain character goes on about how his boat was sunk in WWII and the survivors were attacked by sharks. About a month after I saw the movie, I heard from somewhere that it was actually a true story. Very eerie...