Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlphaGOD

Entryes Limit

okay i stumbled on this a while ago while i was working on a biiig resource file (and trying to make it with XWE) at one point i reached a limit in the number of entryes it can save (can't remember the number but i remember it was over 10000) and the final entry's were not saved at all (but where shown at some point in history ^^ very vague memory at that part) .... now what i want to know is :
What is the limit of XWE when it comes to this ? ... or did you increase that whit the new version and all my probs are fixed ^^
The verion i used was 1.12 on windows XP operating system ...

It's still 10,000. That seemed to be a safe enough number. I checked some big projects like Daedalus, and that one for example had 2,500 entries. Anyway, it's no problem to raise it, I just didn't think it was necessary. How does 50,000 sound?

Is there a reason for it in the first place? I'd suggest removing any pointless limitations, but if it requires an exponentially larger amount of memory allocated to merely use the program with a limit so high then that would indeed be a waste for most people. If that's the case, maybe it could be a custom user setting?

The list of entries are sitting in an old-fashioned, local array. That's the reason for the limit. Changing it to a linked list or something like that would be too big of a change to the project at this moment.

I think it's easiest to just find a reasonably high number, and leave it at that. (Each entry has a string and 3 32bit ints, so the memory requirement is not that great.)

well i think 32000 would be ok since that is the limit zdoom has ... no need for a bigger limit now ^^ if port's have it why wouldn't you ^^

EDIT 1 : Umm the cut function is really sloooooooooooooowwwww ... anything you can do about that ? i mean it took nearly 30 minutes to cut and paste some entryes(all the sprites in the wad around 3000) while i was sorting a wad ... narly fell asleep and also it made the wad from 23 MB to 140 MB the total size of the sprites was only 7 mb's ... kinda wierd ... anyways the cleanup is fast at least ... but the paste isn't

I found the bottleneck: the entire enrty directory gets rewritten into the file after each paste. It's never at the end, because the just-pasted entry is there, so XWE writes a new directory at the end... And then the next-pasted file goes there, etc. It works, but like you said it takes too long. I'll fix this.

I rewrote the copy/paste routines, they are now more efficient. I tested cutting about 500 sprites from a 2500 lump WAD. The cut took 35 seconds, the paste took 150 seconds. They are now both about 5 seconds.

Still have a few minor things to test, but a bugfix release is now imminent.

whoa that was fast ... dude you are on fire ...
btw thanks it was really annoying cutting about 2500 sprites out ... ^^
well we are going to have a perfect lump editor at this rate