Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nmn

Can't extract Hi-Quality Music

Just as it sounds. I wanted to listen to RTC Music so I've found necessary lumps (like DOUCE or MACHINES) and try to save it-the files were very small (about couple kb's) and the files were damaged, and yes I tried several formats (mp3, ogg, mod, xm even).
Same goes for Action Doom Music.

AFAIK it doesn't support music/sound types other than mus, midi and wav. However I'm sure I've extracted mods using it, and they've not been affected. (unless it's broken in this version)

It would be great if it could have full mp3 and fmod (ogg, mod etc.) support though, as only Deepsea does atm. (in fact that's all I use it for now, inserting oggs into wads)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

AFAIK it doesn't support music/sound types other than mus, midi and wav.

That's annoying. At least support .mus, Wintex can playback an .mus but XWE can't.

XWE recognises several music formats (Doom MUS, standard MIDI and a few other MIDI files, Impulse Tracker, Scream Tracker, Apogee IMF Music files), but doesn't really do anything with them (other than dumping the doom MUS format onto the screen). These lumps can be exported the usual way though, there's no problem there.

Sound files are different. XWE recognises quite a few formats here as well (Doom sound format, WAV, VOC, RAW and a few other types for various games). Normally when you export a sound, you'd want in WAV format, so that you can play it back or import it into your own WAD. OGG files are considered sounds, just like WAV or MP3 files, and here's the problem. XWE shows them as a sound, but it can't actually decode MP3 or OGG. So when you try to save it, it will save an empty WAV file.

An easy fix is to open up your XWE.INI file, locate this entry:

[WAVESOUND]
Entry : <blah blah>
Editor : WaveEditor
ExportMethod : WAV
Icon : wave

and just comment out (or delete) the ExportMethod line. (Put a semicolon in front of it to comment it out.) Problem solved: you can extract hi-quality music.

I've already changed one other thing, which is if you click Entry|View raw data, then the save as function will export the file as is, and it won't try to save it as a WAV. (I don't know if this is in V1.14, give it a try...) This was necessary because there's a similar issue with images as well. Images are saved as BMP files when exported, except sometimes we don't want this. (E.g. some files have PNG files embedded, and while XWE can read/display these, you might want the original file, and not the picture saved as a BMP.)

I will also add one more thing; when XWE encounters a sound which it cannot decode (OGG, MP3), the save-as-WAV thing will be disabled automatically for that lump. I think that covers it all.

I know that WinTex can playback MUS files, it does this by running the MUS2MID converter and playing the resulting MIDI file. This has been requested before, but it's not a high priority issue.

Csabo said:

I know that WinTex can playback MUS files, it does this by running the MUS2MID converter and playing the resulting MIDI file. This has been requested before, but it's not a high priority issue.

That's odd, because Wintex won't play plain midis when they're in a wadfile, the like music in Alien Vendetta.

That's definitely odd. Playing MIDIs is very easy, I'm not sure what WinTex does or why. I was probably wrong about how it plays MUS files though, it looks like it has a native MUS player built in.