Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #211

Welcome to The /newstuff Chronicles in one of the largest map to wad ratio inthe history of, well, forever. We have a 16:1 ratio. More accurately, in caseyou can't be bothered to look down a couple of inches and check for yourself, wehave 32 maps in two WADs. Even more accurately, we have one 32-level megawad andone 0-level skinwad. I suppose that whenever you think lowly of another person,you can just call them a "skinwad." I suppose that would work. Anyway,if you've bothered to read this far into the preamble, then you fall into the99th percentile of the Doomer population. Congratulations. Now quit wasting yourtime, and download one of our two new WADs!

• Community Chest 2 by Various Authors
    8,706kb - Enhanced Port - Doom 2 - SP, Coop - 32 maps - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img)
    We may have an incredibly short list of WADs this week, but the week itself isfar from a disappointment. There are a lot of things to say about thisrelease. For starters, it is surely one of the best Doom addons ever released.It combines many of the best elements of Doom, Doom 2, and extravagant add-onssuch as Alien Vendetta. To elaborate on my last point, it contains a lot ofthe architectural freedom of Doom 2 while maintaining the level of detail ofthe original Doom. It also contains an incredible palette of themes andatmospheres, ranging from dark, fiery red pits to evil, deep blue lands to anenormous green "mucusland." Let's not forget the brown dirtlands,the slime-steppes, the tech bases, the dark caverns, and the traditionalroom/hallway maps. This is truly one of the most diverse and rich WADs everreleased, rivaling the popular Alien Vendetta in both map-size and quality.

The gameplay of this WAD is truly adequate. Of course, many of the maps are sohuge that some people would never hold a hanging man's hope of completingthem. But if you are the type that is willing to save and reload frequently,then this WAD is definitely playable. Ammo and health are placed just as youwould expect them. Yes, you get many of the bigger weapons early on, and youwill encounter every large enemy in the first handful of maps, but this isstandard for a project of this scope. And because there are so manycontributors to this WAD, gameplay inevitably varies from one map to the next.You may find one level ridiculously demanding, and the next level right upyour alley. Needless to say at this point, there should be something here foreveryone.

To wrap things up, this WAD has a few MIDI music replacements, with most musictracks left as the original Doom 2 themes. It also has a few new necessarygraphics replacements to deliver the "message" of some of the maps.If you can play your way through this WAD over Christmas holidays, then you'veearned a box a deep fried balls of cake. (You have to buy your own Timbits,though.)

• Firebrand by CheapAlert
    54kb - ZDoom, Skulltag, Legacy - Doom 2
    This is a green gargoyle skin.

sp! blahaha

Splendid week. Not many wads... but CC2 is always something to look forward for.

Did you really think anyone else was going to release their maps the week of CC 2? :X

Anyway, it does infact rock, going to play it some more now ..

Awesome week, even if I do say so myself... \m/

Now, off to play the rest of CC2...

Whaha, my wad's alone :D

Compared to the chest up there, it's greatly dwarfed with the little brief info and lack of screenshots tho.

CC2 is cool, I'm having much fun playing it through...except, map5 has to be the single most annoying Doom map I have ever played.

I played the first level a few weeks ago and then quit. Props to the maker, I'm guessing it was erik alm, ooh I'm right how'd I know.

Well I just love double posting. In case anyone wondered, the skin is very cool, good job on that one. I really like it.

Scuba Steve said:

I also have much love for Cyb's Triple threat map 30, and Map 28.

No way man map28 sux

And AndrewB took two pictures of it! OMG that means he played my map!!!

Oh yeah, re-DL his weapon mod hurr. Still quite surprized it didn't make the list when he said it was done and uploaded before the deadline, it says right on his site mod journal.

P.S. it is actually changed, check the wad size, and re-dl it to see the new stuff. Note this did make the deadline.

Map 23, Death Mountain, awesome stuff. I loved the innovation there and the music fit it perfectly. Also, Map 27, amazing job there. CChest2 soo good...

Why isn't the Archive page updated to reflect the update on my wad? I probably should have uploaded the new version as a different WAD file had I known the confusion that this would cause.

I would like you all to check the mod out, though (sorry if it sounds like I'm pimping). It works really well with CC2. Just watch out for those plasma-pistol marines.

Well, you would have a 3rd map this week if it hadn't been rejected. I made a D2M1 Zdoom/Zdaemon conversion map called ZMAP01. Unfortuantely, it was rejected shortly after uploading it to the incoming directory. I made this map to celebrate Doom's birthday, so I wish I could have uploaded it. Anyway if anybody wants to see it you can grab it at my site:

http://justdoomit.250free.com

Foofoo said:

thanks y'all who participated in this CC2 thing. fun stuff.

You're a fucking genius :D Map 24- my fave.

Well, you would have a 3rd map this week if it hadn't been rejected. I made a D2M1 Zdoom/Zdaemon conversion map called ZMAP01. Unfortuantely, it was rejected shortly after uploading it to the incoming directory. I made this map to celebrate Doom's birthday, so I wish I could have uploaded it. Anyway if anybody wants to see it you can grab it at my site:

http://justdoomit.250free.com

Well, I tried to download it from your site, but
instead of the a zip file, I ended up getting a
java-bloated HTML file with the same name that read

"Remote linking of files over 250K
is not permitted with free accounts.
Please try visiting this site directly."

Oddly, I was accessing it from your web page, and
the file is on the same server. Guess it's time to
ditch those bastards, and use another server :\

Yeah, the bad thing about 250free.com is that the server is kinda unreliable. But, I can't find another server that will let me upload files that are up to 2 megs in size for free.

julz_d said:

Yeah, the bad thing about 250free.com is that the server is kinda unreliable. But, I can't find another server that will let me upload files that are up to 2 megs in size for free.

What about paying for some webspace? Free hosts suck.

Lutrov71 said:

What do people think of map06?

It's cool, I played it when it first appeared in Newstuff a while ago.

Black Void said:

Map 23, Death Mountain, awesome stuff. I loved the innovation there and the music fit it perfectly.

It's always good to get some recognition. Heh, thanks.