Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hawkwind2

Mus2midi

I have just downloaded XWE v1.15 which claims to play mus files with mus2midi installed. I have installed mus2midi yet I get the error "could not play song" yet it appears mus2midi is "trying" to work. Using winXP pro sp2.

I've had a similar problem with mus2midi, only when I run a converted midi file with windows media player, I get something like "Class object not found" or someshit. :/

I'm also using Windows XP SP2. To be honest I only tested it with the original Doom II mus files. What XWE does is pretty simple, it runs this: "MUS2MIDI -T160 xyz.MUS xyz.MID". (Tempo 160 seemed to sound okay.) After that, it attempts to play the resulting MID file.

Try running the same command from the command line, and then double click the newly created MID. If you get errors, then it's MUS2MIDI; it probably can't convert that particular MUS file. If it does play correctly, then it's XWE; we can try to look into the problem in more detail.

Tried it - didn't work. Strange, if the wad has midi files, xwe will play them, but not standard mus files. Oddly too, Wintex for me works in reverse, will play standard mus files but not midi files :confused:

Playing MID files is relatively easy. By using a MediaPlayer component, it's literally three lines of code. I'm not sure why WinTex doesn't do this.

Calling the MUS format 'standard' sounds a bit weird: after all it is a proprietary format, and to my knowledge it's not supported or used outside Doom/Doom engine games. WinTex plays them with a special player (it's right in the documentation: "with MUS player by V. Arnost (XARNOS00@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz)"). I supposed XWE could do that as well, since that tool is available on the idgames archive, I'm just surprised that MUS2MIDI is not enough.

Did it give you a specific error when you ran it?

Apparently windows media player doesnt like mus2midi converted midi files, because mus2midi doesnt use a form of compression inside the midi file

I tried out qmus2mid and it worked fine, however, it doesnt work on xp.

I did come up with a solution though, I managed to compile the qmus2midi source in borland c++ (even though there are 2 or 3 warnings, but it doesnt seem to affect it), here it is with source: http://russell.slipgate.org/files/qmus2mid.zip

When I said "standard" I was referring to doom engine games - maybe a poor choice of word.

The error I get is as stated before - could not play song -.

I will give that modified qmus2mid a go - but am at presest getting that "The page cannot be displayed" crap .

Thanks for the file RTC_Marine. The file does work with WMP but I still have the same problem with XWE. So yes Csabo, it does seem to be an XWE error.

We've gotten to the bottom of this. Apparently there are (at least) two version of MUS2MIDI out there. The one downloadable from the idgames archive (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=1123) is version 0.9. I tried that one, and I get the same error, it does output a MID file but it won't play Media Player.

The zip I downloaded from the author's site has yet another version in it, that one won't even run for me.

I have MUS2MIDI 1.0. It works fine. I have no idea where it came from! (Maybe I downloaded it as a part of something else.) I could put it up somewhere, but maybe someone knows where this is from, if you can, help me out.

I'd like a copy of it, please.
tolwyn /-@-\ tolwyn dot com

Csabo said:

We've gotten to the bottom of this. Apparently there are (at least) two version of MUS2MIDI out there. The one downloadable from the idgames archive (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=1123) is version 0.9. I tried that one, and I get the same error, it does output a MID file but it won't play Media Player.

The zip I downloaded from the author's site has yet another version in it, that one won't even run for me.

I have MUS2MIDI 1.0. It works fine. I have no idea where it came from! (Maybe I downloaded it as a part of something else.) I could put it up somewhere, but maybe someone knows where this is from, if you can, help me out.

mus2midi 1.0:
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/utils/sound_edit/mus2mid1.zip

you may need to edit xwe.ini for this to work. In the last part of this very looong file, there is a section that looks like this:

(TOOLS)
;
; Feel free to change these
; XWE will ask for location or find the file automatically
;
(blah blah blah)
Mus2Midi Utility,C:\xwe\,MUS2MIDI.EXE
(more blah blah blah)

in this line, you should tell xwe where in your HDD did you put the file. Easy, no?

P.D: I just noticed that i'm posting in a thread that's been dead for almost four years now :S