Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lobo

Bug: editing text lump

I've downloaded the beta from your site and have found a nasty bug(hard-locks xwe):

1. download this example wad: http://i.domaindlx.com/firstgentc/tutorials/PNGJPGinWad/imagelump.wad

2. open it in xwe and click on the DDFIMAGE entry(this is a plain text lump). You'll have to choose some other entry and then click on the DDFIMAGE lump again so that it refreshes properly.

3. click inside the textbox(the right panel where we see the contents of the lump) and simply start moving the cursor down the entry(pressing the arrow key). In my case when I get to [tex:SKY1] line it locks up.

Just so you know, this doesn't happen with XWE 1.15.

I'm on Windows XP with SP2.

That's fixed it alright. I'll keep you posted if I find anything else.

Just want to take the opportunity to thank you for a great wad resource editor.

I'm afraid I haven't been completely weaned off of Wintex yet, but I'm getting there :) especially with the new load/replace (raw data) commands.

Good work.

The fact that you're a seasoned WinTex user could help... Could you identify any issues like:

1) Features that exist in WinTex but are missing from XWE

2) Things that are easier to do in WinTex

3) Naming differences - e.g. some stuff that's hard to find in XWE because in WinTex it's called differently

It's good that the load raw data command is in, but it only makes a difference for images. Most of the time it behaves the same as loading a lump with the load command. How come you mentioned this as one of the 'selling points'?

(I think one of the biggest selling points of XWE is that there's still a dude out there that fixes the bugs pretty quickly if you report them ;-)

I see this quite a bit. People often complain about bugs in XWE, but they seem to take no initiative in getting them fixed (i.e., reporting them). Then they just go back to WinTex.

I also get this alot at work. Despite being the main developer of a widely used application, people do not report bugs/crashes. They seem to be more intent on bitching about how useless the program is to everyone and anyone, bar the person who can deal with it (Im even on the same floor as them!).

[/bitch]

:)

Csabo said:

The fact that you're a seasoned WinTex user could help... Could you identify any issues like:

1) Features that exist in WinTex but are missing from XWE

A filter for LUMPs(like what you have for GFX, sounds etc. at the bottom left). all the other stuff That I usually use in Wintex is already covered in XWE.

Csabo said:

2) Things that are easier to do in WinTex

hmmm. Just about the only thing that comes to mind right now is working with textures. Don't get me wrong, XWEs "right mouse button->Add to texture" is a GREAT feature, but I don't quite grasp stuff like, say, how to stitch together various patches to make a 1024 sky. Of course that's just user ignorance on my part.

Csabo said:

3) Naming differences - e.g. some stuff that's hard to find in XWE because in WinTex it's called differently

Nothing comes to mind here.

Csabo said:

It's good that the load raw data command is in, but it only makes a difference for images. Most of the time it behaves the same as loading a lump with the load command. How come you mentioned this as one of the 'selling points'?

Well, I seem to recall XWE giving me some grief with textures/sprites in the past(automatic palette coversions) and possibly sound issues too, but it's a hazy memory now to be honest.

Csabo said:

(I think one of the biggest selling points of XWE is that there's still a dude out there that fixes the bugs pretty quickly if you report them ;-)

Very true :) My problem is that I've been using Wintex for years so it's hard to "trust" another tool, but I'm using XWE more than Wintex these days.

If I had to give you my personal #1 favorite feature in XWE, it would be the ability to directly edit text lumps (basically EDGE DDF) in the wad, instead of having to import from a text file everytime I make a little change.