Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S1lent

Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil Box Art

Yeah it's pretty boring. Too bad fantasy-style paintings are apparently no longer allowed, or something. Seriously what's the last FPS that had box art nearly as interesting as Doom / Doom 2?

Who cares we don't look at the box art anyway, we'd just be taking the case out of the box right when we walk through that door.

Hmm, Ling is right, I can't think of a game with better box art than Doom1 and 2. Atleast not any FPS.

That shit around his face looks stupid. , kinda like a "skull flower".

I remember alot of old Box art done from games done out side the company by artists. They were very good like Doom/2 was and Duke Nukem 3D too.

Besides its activision that makes this shitty box art.

Meh, I've seen worse. For instance, the HL2 box-art. It's just got a picture of some wrinkly old dude from the first Half-Life game.

But, then again, I have seen much better box-art than this as well.

Linguica said:

Yeah it's pretty boring. Too bad fantasy-style paintings are apparently no longer allowed, or something. Seriously what's the last FPS that had box art nearly as interesting as Doom / Doom 2?

?

AgentSpork said:

Meh, I've seen worse. For instance, the HL2 box-art. It's just got a picture of some wrinkly old dude from the first Half-Life game.

Depending on which box you got. But yea, having portraits of the main characters on their boxes was kind of a stupid idea. I think a battle between the combine and reistance would have been more interesting.

As for the box art... I don't think they could put something was gory as Doom 3 on it's own box. There'd be some cerned parent saying it's too violent and that stores shouldn't cary such a thing. Then they'll blame some robbery on it beause "he saw it on a box"

I remember Ultima VIII had a big 'ol pentagram with lots of flames on it.

But honestly I think that image looks great.

Diablo II has better box art than Doom1/2, imo.

If that head looked more like a horses head or something more animal like, maybe it might pass as pretty good. I like the idea of the wings though.

DoomDan said:

Even though I still think it looks lame, The original Doom 3 Box Art was only barely better.

It would have been better if they didn't show a metric ton of media of the Hellknght. Got boring.

Screw the box art, it's the game that matters in the end.

On another note, I kinda liked the Quake 1 box art - very subtle, but nice. Oh, one positive thing I'd like to mention about the RoE box art (after all these negative comments, we need some positives for variation ;-P) I like that there's all that fire.

The Maledict, though, is pretty tame - reminds me too much of the Diablo II Exp box art. Something more subtle and less clihé would do nicely.

On a related note: remember the picture on the RtCW install slash screen? They shoulda made that the box art for RtCW - would've given customers a nice, retro feel when they bought it, plus it's a pretty cool pic imho.

Don't you miss the days when box art was actually art, instead of game screens\models, that was at times crappy, at other times good, but consistently strayed as far away from the game design as it could without actually forsaking it?

wow. longest coherent sentence I have ever made.

Well it was much easier then to get away with so much interpretation, unlike now where there may likely be competition or confusion. I mean, the concept art nowadays is getting pretty close to what you see in-game, so why not just use the in-game shot? I personally can't wait until the day when games look as good as the cover of Doom does (for example) but of course we'll need alot more artists working on games rather then 'designers' imo