Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lutz

Question: Adding Colormaps

Okay, here's the deal: I would like to create and add 3 new colormaps (like TeamTNT's WATERMAP that came with BOOM) to the P:AR .WAD file. I have 3 .WADS that change the color the way I want them too, and each of those has two things: a PLAYPAL entry and a COLORMAP entry. Using WinTex, what do I do?

I gather that any colormaps have to go between the C_START and C_END entries in the .WAD file, but brute force copying-and-pasting doesn't put it there. Also, I would like to rename the entries L1MAP...L3MAP, but when I try to do that, WinTex doesn't recognize them as colormaps anymore.

Please, come to my aid and better mankind by either responding to this post or by e-mailing me at chris_lutz@hotmail.com

Guest Fanatic

With vanilla DOOM and non-EDGE/Zdoom/BOOM type of engines, you're stuck with replacing just the COLORMAP, which affects everything.

Using something where you can script things, you can use as many colormaps as you want (like I did in QDOOM).

With vanilla DOOM and non-EDGE/Zdoom/BOOM type of engines, you're stuck with replacing just the COLORMAP, which affects everything.

Yes, I know, but I'm using MBF and I know I can add stuff (since there are some new colormaps already in there that I copied from Caverns of Darkness. I suppose I should just e-mail Joel and ask how he did it.

Also, I would like to rename the entries L1MAP...L3MAP, but when I try to do that, WinTex doesn't recognize them as colormaps anymore.

It doesn't matter if wintex doesn't recognize them as colormaps. They're still colormaps, wintex doesn't alter them in any way. Also please do a clean-up with your next release, par1-4 had almost 8 megs of wasted space.

..and you are having problems adding the c_start and c_end markers? select->lumps and add them as new entries.

Just to clear something up:

BOOM, MBF, ZDOOM (and any other port derived from BOOM) support the special kind of "colormap" placed between C_START and C_END.

The DeePsea F7 Import tool can place these in a PWAD with any name desired. Use the Insert Lump in this tool to add the C_START and C_END control entries.

Using something where you can script things, you can use as many colormaps as you want (like I did in QDOOM).

And also like I did with Cacodemon Squad and the Special Fog effect in the first level of the Cacodemon Squad Public Demo. I used a Modified Colormap and a palette program to change the darkness to fog, and that FOGMAP is saved as a separate COLORMAP named FOGMAP.