Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

entryway said:

what's your system?

Well, it used to run OK with this same system before, anyway, here's the info dumped from DxDiag.

Besides, I've experienced various little problems with both prboom and glboom before. Once there was a problem that prboom.exe didn't respond to keyboard (only mouse), while glboom.exe was fine. The problem later disappeared, and I don't know what fixed it (another version? OS reinstall?). Both exes were running fine until I did a clean Win98 reinstall a week ago. After the reinstall, prboom.exe for some reason ran with the view rotated 90° and not stretched to the whole monitor; glboom was fine (no speed problems). Just two days ago, glboom all of a sudden started to run very slowly, and prboom.exe runs with correct view now. I don't have a clue what "fixed" prboom and what "broke" glboom. At about the same time I reinstalled TV tuner software because it didn't work after a win98 reinstall; maybe that could have some impact, maybe not.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this is not PrBoom-Plus specific, as I used to have these annoyances with the original PrBoom as well. So you're not obliged to put all your current work away and analyse my problem :P

VinceDSS said:

It crashes when you set game speed over 1000.
Either prevent the crash or ... ?

Fixed in 2.2.6.23. May be.

Bug in the official releases 2.2.6.22 and 2.2.6.23, related to the spechits stuff.

The spechits fix now only works when recording or playing back a demo, and not when playing with -complevel 0/1 (without recording). In some of the 2.2.6.22 test versions it worked OK.

On closer inspection, it seems that the problem arose in 2.2.6.22test5. Sorry - I only tested that with demo playback, so I missed it.

I found that the translucency button doesn't work ;-)
Edit: It works, if you restart the game. :-\ (If you try to turn it on/off while in the game, it makes no change until you restart the engine)
Another problem: Try staring a new game while you are already in a game. The screen won't refresh.

RazTK said:

Try staring a new game while you are already in a game. The screen won't refresh.

message comprehension approximate to a zero

entryway said:

prboom.exe
I never test it. Wait for next version. Thanks.

LOL... Thanks. But... who is that? (in the picture)

Another map with a possible spechits overrun: Eternal map31:

The list of LinesID leading to overrun: 2921, 2922, 2923, 2924, 2933, 2936, 2942, 2943, 2965.

The demo I was testing (et312225.lmp - it is in here) does desync with 2.2.6.23.

Interestingly though, it plays back OK using one of the 2.2.6.22 test versions. I have put a copy of this version here. This version has no specific knowledge of this map, and the overrun occurs within the first minute, but it correctly plays back a 22-minute demo on a highly complex map. Are there any spechits overrun demos that are known to fail with this version?

BTW, the demo is well worth watching in its own right (it's a very creative map). As far as I know, this test version is the only exe that will play this demo, apart from doom2.exe itself.

Grazza said:

Interestingly though, it plays back OK using one of the 2.2.6.22 test versions.

hehe. It is necessary to add the new command line switch especially for such cases:
glboom.exe -playdemo demo.lmp -i_am_feeling_lucky
:))

RazTK said:

BTW, I liked what you did with the demos playback. (when you press the ALT button)

don't forget that any demos produced this way are considered cheated :)

so don't think you are uber good because you get godly demos this way :)

(I unfortunately met too many players on zdaemon that boast about the great times they get with this specific prboom)

He might have meant the camera mode feature during playback, rather than the TAS re-record feature - both are activated using the ALT key by default.

entryway said:

-i_am_feeling_lucky

Nice. :)

It would be convenient if this were a cfg option too.

test1
Change Log
[+] Option for removing the "wipe" effect (prboom.exe)
[!] PRBoom compatibility: changes in processing overflow of spechit array
[-] PrBoom-Plus: The screen ceases to be updated after start of new game while you are already in game (prboom.exe)
[-] PrBoom-Plus: -skipsec broken (2.2.6.23)

fraggle said:

Lee Killough

Good to know that. Thanks.
Edit:

entryway said:

test1
Change Log
[+] Option for removing the "wipe" effect (prboom.exe)
[!] PRBoom compatibility: changes in processing overflow of spechit array
[-] PrBoom-Plus: The screen ceases to be updated after start of new game while you are already in game (prboom.exe)
[-] PrBoom-Plus: -skipsec broken (2.2.6.23)

What about the translucency? It won't change (On/Off) until you restart the engine. :-(

entryway said:

test1
Change Log

I've done some basic testing of the new version, and the four features/changes/fixes listed all work as intended for me without any obvious side-effects (though I never experienced the third issue listed, so I can't necessarily test that). A nice early Xmas present!

I've just tested the whole of the original Eternal demo pack with this new version (the "warp directly to the next stats screen" feature made it fairly quick and simple to test nearly two day's worth of demos).

There are three maps where spechits overruns occurred (including et31, as mentioned earlier):
et12: LinesID: 1350, 1355, 1356, 15, 1349, 16, 1348, 1362, 1361.
et25: LinesID: 638, 1910, 1911, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917, 1919, 1920.
et31: LinesID: 2921, 2922, 2923, 2924, 2933, 2936, 2942, 2943, 2965.

et122614.lmp plays back OK with prboom-plus both when it attempts to emulate the overrun, and when it does not.

The et25 demos (et252031.lmp and beginend.lmp) desync near the start, but they also do so with Doom2.exe (possibly they were recorded with a different version of the wad or exe), so it is difficult to say for sure if it is being emulated correctly in this case. The desyncs look the same though.

Edit: Found another possible overrun in Memento Mori:
mm28: LinesID: 2022, 2023, 2025, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020.
This one seems benign, and of the demos I tested, only occurs in 30mm8356. It doesn't cause a desync there though, whether an attempt is made to emulate it or not.

Andrey is doing great job fixing stuff here.

what about adding CAM support ? could be compatible with DDQSTATS but also add a couple features like adding comments ala QDQ... ?? I wonder if caming could be done in-game with Fastforward, pause and rewind ?

I wonder if he could make such a port for heretic too :) and maybe Hexen ...

Bug found (prboom.exe):
The engine always tries to draw the original status bar when you open the automap, so when you use the special status bar with F5 and then open the automap, the engine clears it: Before - After ;-)
(Note: when the eyes in the original status bar move, you can see it blinking for a second...)

Another bug (prboom.exe):
When you press the <End> key while watching the original demos from Doom2, Plutonia etc., the engine get stuck. ;-)

entryway said:

Thanks, but it is a mistake of an original prboom

So you are not going to fix it? :-\

test2
Change Log:
[+]Switch for better mouse support: Options\Setup\Status Bar/HUD\Smoother Mouse Control
Pass to Doom2\MAP12, press a forward key and look around you. It is awfully with standard handler.

What does smoother mouse control do exactly? (I mean, I'm supposing it does something beyond the higher FPS making control smoother does)

It wouldn't happen to get rid of that nasty hitch I get every 1 to 2 seconds (or so) whenever I run and turn at the same time, would it?

RazTK said:

When you press the <End> key while watching the original demos from Doom2, Plutonia etc., the engine get stuck. ;-)

Yes, it just keeps cycling through them, looking for a stats screen that isn't there.

A related issue affects the <PageDown> function, used to warp to the start of the next level. Up to version 2.2.6.21, this worked OK with the internal iwad demos - if pressed during DEMO1, it would go directly to the start of DEMO2, etc. From version 2.2.6.22 onwards, it just cycles through them (like pressing <End> does), forcing a Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

Nuxius said:

What does smoother mouse control do exactly? (I mean, I'm supposing it does something beyond the higher FPS making control smoother does)

I've written new mouse handler (without SDL library)

It wouldn't happen to get rid of that nasty hitch I get every 1 to 2 seconds (or so) whenever I run and turn at the same time, would it?

Try it.

RazTK said:

You didn't fix any of the bugs I posted here :-\

lies

Bug found (prboom.exe):The engine always tries to draw the original status bar when you open the automap, so when you use the special status bar with F5 and then open the automap, the engine clears it: Before - After

This bug has been fixed. And the second will be fixed in release too.