Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kris

How to use levels with EDGE v.1.27?

Well, I never paid much attention to EDGE before, but I went to the Source Ports section here at Doomworld and thought I check it out just for kicks. I downloaded it, unzipped it, and got it all set up. Turns out you can turn on GL graphics from the menu (an awesome idea, and one that more source ports **cough cough ZDoom and Legacy cough cough** should have, IMHO) and that alone makes this my new favorite SP.
The only problem is: how do you play levels with it? It doesn't support click-and-drag like ZDoom and it doesn't have from-the-console level loading like Legacy. Instead, you have to load it from the MS-DOS prompt. I am basically DOS illileriate. It says in the readme that you have to use the command line -file wadname.wad. I tried with one of my Doom levels and it doesn't work at all.
What do i do?

*sighs* RTFM

I never heard that one before, could it stand for "Read the fucking Manual?"

Go to a DOS prompt, get into the Doom/Doom2 directory that you have EDGE in, and use EDGE32 -FILE WADNAME.WAD (or GLEDGE32 -FILE WADNAME.WAD).

1. Go into windows explorer.
2. Right click on the exe file e.g. edge32.exe
3. Choose Create new shortcut
4. Right click on the shortcut you've just created and choose properties
5. In the first text box add at the end -file yourfile.wad
(where yourfile is the wad you want)
For example on my computer the textbox has: C:\Doom\EdgeDoom\edge127\edge32.exe
and to this we add -file text01.wad so that at the end you have:
C:\Doom\EdgeDoom\edge127\edge32.exe -file test01.wad
6. Now you just have to double click this shortcut to load up edge with your wad!! (All this sounds complicated but it's not really. At least you don't have to enter in Dos!)