Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
casper

do you think that maps with story are better ones?

is there anybody outthere who needs a story in a map?
is a story important?
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>

You don't need one. It doesn't really enhance the gameplay. Still, if it is a megawad/TC you're making, it would be best to have one.

You don't need storylines, but you gotta get yourself a theme for the level.

I don't really care who I am, or why am I there. But if I'm in a military base, I wanna see computer labs, guard houses, living quarters, recreation rooms, armories, baths, etc etc.

There's a lot of difference between a level, and a random assortment of rooms.

You don't need storylines, but you gotta get yourself a theme for the level.

I don't really care who I am, or why am I there. But if I'm in a military base, I wanna see computer labs, guard houses, living quarters, recreation rooms, armories, baths, etc etc.

There's a lot of difference between a level, and a random assortment of rooms.

Well, you do have hell maps. Those are fun to make because nobody has been there or have an idea of it so nobody can go: HEY! This doesn't feel like a hell map!

I'm doing a few doom2 maps right now and then I'm going to tackle a replacement for "inferno".

But you always follow some sense for Hell. Just take a look at the levels you're making. Everything's in the right place, no matter if it's and outdoor lava crater or a macabre gothic castle.

Just one that tells you how ya got there and why, BUT GOOD GAMEPLAY, WE NEED GOOD GAMEPLAY PEOPLE, THAT "IS" WHAT matters doesn't it?

Personally, I prefer a level that incorporates whatever story it has into the level (like that Trust ZDoom TC from a couple of months ago). I'm big into the immersion quality of gaming (I lose track of time when I play Q3 or HL), and I think a story really helps push that along.

However, as always, gameplay is essential. And layouts that don't suck are good too.

DC

Yeah, gameplay is numero uno, regardless of what the story is. If the level doesn't play out the way you, the player need it to, it'll suck. I've personally played a quite a few levels that were considered "the best", but I didnt' like 'em. I prefer the slaughter to puzzles and adventures. It kinda lowers the boiling on the blood when you got godmode all weapons, and a million and a half critters placed JUST right.

I prefer the slaughter to puzzles and adventures.

Keeping the doom tradition alive!