Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Opulent

Scythe2 Demos

I wonder what's the deal with this map (27); it tends to cause venetian blinds crashes on Doom2+. I've seen that before, on Doom2 on maps that didn't seem too special (detailed or whatever) before. Plus it seems like it doesn't happen if you run the map without monsters...

myk said:

I wonder what's the deal with this map (27); it tends to cause venetian blinds crashes on Doom2+. I've seen that before, on Doom2 on maps that didn't seem too special (detailed or whatever) before. Plus it seems like it doesn't happen if you run the map without monsters...

Strange thing. It ceases to crash after removal of the Thing #629 or after little shift to the right. In vanilla too. Somebody can explain it?

The problem disappears after:
1) ZenNode.exe scythe2.wad MAP27
2) zdbsp.exe -m MAP27 scythe2.wad
but does not work after
bsp-w32.exe scythe2.wad

Why people still use bsp-w32.exe?
Surely, ZenNode is the best nodes builder. It builds nodes very optimum and levels are working correctly in vanilla even when after any other builder we shall receive VPO or vanishing walls

entryway said:
Why people still use bsp-w32.exe?

Not sure, though in the text file Erik says he used Zennode (probably not on the last build of Map27, though).

But the problem still remains inexplicable
It in fact does not crush any ports
I'll look it more closely with sources of chocolate-doom
Later

Kristian Ronge said:

I did map 17 UV speed in 0:41 a while ago. So-so run, sucky ending. I'll get around to improving this shortly, I hope.

Neat. :) BTW, happy first birthday, Scythe 2! ^_^

I made a speedrun for map06 in 7.48, and a nomonsters in 7.05, but a TAS run in 6 would be nice, if possible. Kristian's maxdemo is kicking my butt right now.

xit-vono said:

I made a speedrun for map06 in 7.48, and a nomonsters in 7.05, but a TAS run in 6 would be nice, if possible. Kristian's maxdemo is kicking my butt right now.

Cool. :) Be sure to post them here, and I'll add them to the table once they're available. :)

Nice too see some action in map 6, Jim! :-)
Please don't try the max run, though... you'll go insane attempting it. The amount of luck required to get a good time is absolutely ridiculous. ;-)

I recorded map 23 UV speed/pacifist in 0:21. Thanks for the route and trick, DomRem.

I looked on Scythe2 table once again, I am missing there a tyson demo on map11 by Angus in time around 5:20. (maybe he sent it just to me, I dont remember now)

It's too late Kristian. I did a max in 52 and I also did a nightmare run for the same map in 7.

Gusta said:

I looked on Scythe2 table once again, I am missing there a tyson demo on map11 by Angus in time around 5:20. (maybe he sent it just to me, I dont remember now)

Hmm... I can't find that one in my archived demos or in http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/, so I assume he didn't release it yet.

How about changing that now, Angus? ;)

Hmm map1 max in 1:18 was already done by Method, sadly he never uploaded it. (because he said it's a horrible demo:)

My s211t526 is also a horrible demo (a damn failed linedef trigger cost me over 20 seconds), so I won't upload it. Under 5 minutes shouldn't be a problem, from Xit I'd expect 4:30 at least ...

I noticed that when I played back the demos with prboom I got some kind of error message, that spechit overflow you talked about, but indeed, the demo finished just fine anyways. I'm not sure what that is or what I can do to turn on this overflow emulation.

Opulent said:

s202-207.txt
---------------
Btw when I watched with prboom plus I got a spechit overflow and later a desync, so I turned off overflow emulation and that worked. I still don't understand what a spechit is though.

This demo is desync in Doom+ in the same way as in PrBoom+ (with turned on overflow emulation) for me. But it really works correctly in PrBoom+ with the switched off emulation. Does this demo really not desync on your system with Doom+?

entryway said:
This demo is desync in Doom+ in the same way as in PrBoom+ (with turned on overflow emulation) for me. But it really works correctly in PrBoom+ with the switched off emulation. Does this demo really not desync on your system with Doom+?

I get what xit-vono describes; it works fine on Doom2+, or PrBoom+ with emulation turned off, and desynchs with PrBoom+'s spechit emulation turned on.

myk said:

I get what xit-vono describes; it works fine on Doom2+, or PrBoom+ with emulation turned off, and desynchs with PrBoom+'s spechit emulation turned on.

It means, that we have a case of overflow dependent on system (it is not surprising) and I can help nothing. Perhaps, there is a sense to rerelease of Scythe2 with correction of dangerous places, but I don't think that it is necessary and ever happens.

Maybe Erik Alm reads this topic and will be more cautious in his next megawad

I had noticed something odd with Scythe2 map02 (see the Spechits Overflow list for details), but wasn't sure if in that case (Gusta's demo) it was just due to it being a -longtics demo, and that was screwing up the emulation. Since it seems that for this map we have an overflow that can lead to erratically-performing demos, maybe it makes sense to use Boom compat (or Boom itself) on this map.