Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Torn

Heretic: Treasure Chest

Hey, I have been lurking around on the board and it seems like many people were interested in mapping for heretic. I was thinking, sure why not. Heretic really need a original megawad, as it has none, zero, any. Just check the idgames archives for yourself. So here is a community chest type of project for heretic, going for 3 episodes. And if you have a better name but just "community chest", please post it in this thread. :)
I hope people will jump aboard. :)

Note: Doesn't have to be heretic vanilla valid, just limit-removing, so it can be played on sourceports like Jheretic or Zdoom.

Offical texture wad is here.
----

Episode 1:
E1M1: Torn *Done* No Name
E1M2: iori
E1M3: KingofFlames
E1M4: Psycho Siggi
E1M5: Kaiser *Done* Town Of WitchCraft
E1M6: Use3D
E1M7: Dreadopp
E1M8: t.v.
E1M9: pcorf * Done * Lucifer's Spell

Episode 2:
E2M1: AgentSpork
E2M2: DomRem
E2M3: zap610
E2M4: Tango
E2M5: HobbsTiger1
E2M6: SlayeR
E2M7: Torn
E2M8: lupinx-Kassman * done * Sky Gateway
E2M9: OmegaJ4 * done * The Aqua Tunnel

Episode 3:
E3M1: Xaser
E3M2: chopkinsca
E3M3: Ismaele
E3M4: Joe
E3M5: Danarchy
E3M6: Kirby
E3M7: Tormentor667
E3M8: alterworldruler * done * D'sparil's Final Hour
E3M9: Psycho Siggi

Episode Backup:
E4M1: Lorenzo * done *
E4M2: Torn
E4M3: Mechadon
E4M4: Liberation
E4M5:
E4M6:
E4M7:
E4M8:
E4M9:

Episode Backup 2:
E5M1:
E5M2:
E5M3:
E5M4:
E5M5:
E5M6:
E5M7:
E5M8:
E5M9:

7 maps done.

Heh, well what I had in mind was more like getting all the existing Heretic mappers or mappers with existing projects together to see if there was any chance of combining into a team to get a single large project out. But I suppose this could work too.

For me, I've got about 3 episodes in the works being revised for Eternity. I intended for it to be a full 3, but I am missing 1 map from E1, 2 from E2 and 3 from E3. Problem is, they're all my consistent style and I don't think they'd mix well with other people's, but it's possible.

So I don't know if I'll start a new one for a new project, but I think it's worthwhile sharing works-in-progress and seeing if perhaps there's a chance of combining projects for the sake of getting something out. After all, there's 5 episodes to replace, and CC3 is having a hard enough time doing 32 maps from scratch.

That's not to say I won't: I have some stuff in mind that I'm sure won't fit with my current maps because it's too complex and would throw off the design balance in the episodes. But it's not beyond the planning stages. When it does go beyond, I'll take a slot. Otherwise, I think dealing with WIPs is a good place to start.

I like the idea; I don't think I'll be joining though (not yet, at least), because I've already got too many projects going on.

Even though this is a community chest project, have you thought about organizing specific themes for the episodes? I don't know much about Heretic's episode themes, but seeing as it's not just one block of 32 maps like Doom 2 is, it would make more sense to organize them somehow.

Just a thought.

I'm excited about this, I have many projects on the burner but i too am intersted. I've never made a heretic map but I played the bejesus out of the game back in the day and think I could do a sweet one. I may be interested in episde 3 styled levels, blue blue BLUE!
Lemme try to finish some stuff off in the next few weeks and then I'll try and join.

Im in.. I'll take E1m7. Even though I'm project lead of CC 3, I always find that alittle distraction so to speak from time to time helps out..(atleast for me).

I've started on my map already. It's kind of refreshing working with a different set of textures than what I'm used to, even if they are quite limited.

Some random (early) screenshot:

esselfortium said:

Even though this is a community chest project, have you thought about organizing specific themes for the episodes? I don't know much about Heretic's episode themes, but seeing as it's not just one block of 32 maps like Doom 2 is, it would make more sense to organize them somehow.

Just a thought.

And one worth discussing.

I think most people mapping for this would be familiar with the original themes, so I would think something in a similar style would be a good start, though perhaps not as inspired by the original maps as, say, Flashback. At this point, I'd suggest people choosing map slots choose one where their map might fit into the original game.

Also, Torn, to avoid any further confusion I'll edit map requests into your map index if I see new ones that you haven't accounted for yet. If you don't mind that is :P

Well, so far my map doesn't seem to fit very well with E2 as far as I can tell, so if you decide to go with such a plan then I guess I'll have to switch map slots. :P

Heh, well I realize there's only going to be so much coherency in a grab-bag project like this, but aiming for similarities like difficulty or style or even size would help keep some kind of logical progression to the episodes. I'm not trying to limit skill or themes or size, but organizing them according to something of a plan could help people keep general goals in mind or better select the mapslot they want to replace.

Lüt said:

And one worth discussing.

I think most people mapping for this would be familiar with the original themes, so I would think something in a similar style would be a good start, though perhaps not as inspired by the original maps as, say, Flashback. At this point, I'd suggest people choosing map slots choose one where their map might fit into the original game.

Also, Torn, to avoid any further confusion I'll edit map requests into your map index if I see new ones that you haven't accounted for yet. If you don't mind that is :P

I feel so validated! :D

Sounds like an very cool idea too bad I don't have Heretic good luck with this project people.
Nice screenie AgentSpork if thats an early shot im even more impressed to see the finished map :)

Great to see people joining this project. :)
I have been thinking about this project for about 1-2 years, as Heretic has no megawads and it would be great to have one. :)

Haha, haven't logged in here forever... :P

Anyway, I see that E3M1 is still open... if I add something, it would be rather short, so maybe an 'intro' map slot would work well. I'll take it if nobody else minds.

Oh, and if anyone remembers Wimpy Heretic, I guarantee that my map won't be like that one again (ie, this will have some actual room to maneuver). :P

Also, is there even any sort of deadline for this one? Or am I just being my usual self and missed something entirely obvious.

Aleaver said:

Question. Are we going name the maps. If we do, mine is called Lost Wonder.

Yes, but maybe you all could write that in your text file, when you are finished with the map(s).

KingofFlames said:

I'll take E1M2! Mind if I submit the first level for my GZDoom episode?

Well, if it can run in limited-removing source port for heretic, then it is fine. Not if it uses any Zdoom features.

I'd love to see this completed hopefully around Christmas time. Would be a lovely gift.

Anyways, why couldn't people just think of the idea sooner? Like back in 2003 for instance?

I would've absolutely been glad to help you guys out at that time. Could've tried to contribut a map for either Episode2 or Episode3.
But nowadays I've only got enough time to play and to chitchat due to the fact that I need to work and worry about reapplying to a university...That shit takes away my time for mapping.

Anyways, I'll be monitoring your progress, folks.
Bless you all.