Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #287

What a boring week of /newstuff this week. Four WADs, one of which a skin, and another is a horrible waste of time! Where does this leave moi? In a very unhappy mood. You never want to make deathz0r unhappy. Why? because I get whiny and emotional and I MIGHT START BREAKING THINGS UNCONTROLLABLY ARGGGHHH ODA BOOGA HYUUUH

And on that note, let's get this over with already and bitch about Risen3D. That's honestly more interesting this week.

• Cookies on Dowels - Fiend
    Enhanced Heretic Port - SP - 156kb - (img) (img)
    Maybe it's just me, but I get giddy when there's a new Heretic map. It could be because they only appear once during a full moon, or maybe because I've yet to play a horrible map for Heretic. Well folks, today is no exception. Although it has some incredibly dark areas which I hate, it sure as hell beats any other damn WAD this week in quality. The gameplay is interesting enough to make me play through it at least more than once, the detail is quite satisfactory for Heretic standards (note: ~20 textures), and there's nothing else to really complain about other than being a bit too easy. You can stop reading this page now.

• Enforcer skin - RottKing
    Skulltag - N/A - 261kb - (img)
    Excellent, another skin by RottKing! Bringer of skins from many BUILD engine games, the latest in this series is the Lizard Enforcer from Duke3D, so if you're the type who likes to KICK SOME ASS AND CHEW BUBBLE GUM, look no further than my favourite feces-dropping enemy! And as an added bonus, Rott added a bot that uses the skin. Isn't that sweet?

• Gamarra's story: Part I "Gamarra sucks" - Giulio Galassi
    doom.exe - SP - 45kb - (img) (img) (img)
    X-Rated WADs make more sense than this, and that's saying a lot. Dedicated to "Gamarra", Giulio provides us with such nasty and personal remarks like "I wear shoes size 14" and "He often copies homework". What kind of insults are those?

• Pandora's Pox - Geo
    Enhanced Port - SP - 84kb - (img) (img) (img)
    Oh boy. I might be constructive and just point out a few things to Geo here for future maps:

1) Never use 0 brightness light flickers en masse
    2) Please oh please don't overdo it with thin hallways where it's impossible to dodge projectiles
    3) Make sure that it's not possible to hit switches from the other side of fences
    4) For crying out loud, I personally hate looking for invisible switches (aka single computer panels) to open doors
    5) Check your map for missing textures
    6) I hate not being able to see much since I like to use the default brightness level

But other than that, it's good. Keep it up.
There's also an update to SPACESHIP 1024, and Myk uploaded the GPL'd Doom source for great justice! Yes, I'm aware of "Untitled" in the archives, but I only review what I download on Friday nights. It's called effiency!

4) For crying out loud, I personally hate looking for invisible switches (aka single computer panels) to open doors

Most good maps use that to make secret area triggers, so that's not a problem for me.

Yay, an Heretic map !

ROFL @ the Gamarra map. Why would anyone make that?

Naan said:

Most good maps use that to make secret area triggers, so that's not a problem for me.

I agree. I've done it in a couple maps I've made before. For instance, that's the first step in getting to the super-secret area in my map for the Doom Enigma "Demo". I usually make sure to give subtle hints as to which console to use though.

I liked Pandora's Box (Pox? Box? Typo or deliberate, you decide) I thought it was quite imaginative, plotline and everything. I haven't seen a wad that uses the start blinking effect in forever, and it was done quite effectively. Although yes if more wads used it you'd soon get sick of them, but I'll give him this one :) Furthermore, the blinking is helpful - it makes it pretty obvious which consoles you're meant to press on :)

Yes there are bugs though, these are all the ones I can remember:

• It was odd not to have a yellow key, although the yellow doors aren't necessary (neither is the blue door) - I don't know if this is an oversight or a deliberate feature, as the doors would be accessible in deathmatch when you have all the keys from the start.
  • The reverse sides of many of the shutters need textures: linedefs 24, 190, 234, 753 at least, possibly others.
  • The teleporter in front of the sergeants (linedef 1527) and the teleporter behind the yellow door (linedef 1785) are both broken, I believe they have the wrong tag number.
  • The cacodemons behind that door and its opposite (things 103-106) are stuck together.
Other than that, pretty good!

Danarchy said:
ROFL @ the Gamarra map. Why would anyone make that?

Some kid wants to make fun of his friend, fair enough but it's not a proper map and it could be argued that it shouldn't be in the archive (I mean, yes, there's a lot of rubbish in there but most of it was made in good faith and meant to be played)

---Uploaded an update to Pandora's Box.

---My comments to comments and what has been updated are marked with a ---.

--- http://cixe.planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/doom/pandora.wad

Oh boy. I might be constructive and just point out a few things to Geo here for future maps:

1) Never use 0 brightness light flickers en masse

---I think the power goes out, which is why it goes to 0, you never read the .txt file did you? There's a legit story behind it.

2) Please oh please don't overdo it with thin hallways where it's impossible to dodge projectiles

---Yeah, its my first .wad :-) I did make up for it with the rest of my levels.

3) Make sure that it's not possible to hit switches from the other side of fences

---hmmm I need to check on that. You're right. Fixed I put it into a wall so you can't hit it with a switch.

---That's why there's blinking lights and a pointer. I've fixed this and made the invisible switches even more noticable.

5) Check your map for missing textures

---Fixed, I'm surprised the beta testers missed them.

6) I hate not being able to see much since I like to use the default brightness level

---Yeah, like I said the power goes out, where you need to trip a few switches to get the doors to work.

But other than that, it's good. Keep it up.

---Makes me feel like I didn't do anything good :-) But hey I got three stars for it!

=============================================================

I liked Pandora's Box (Pox? Box? Typo or deliberate, you decide) I thought it was quite imaginative, plotline and everything.

--- thank you, someone read the plot :-)

I haven't seen a wad that uses the start blinking effect in forever, and it was done quite effectively.

--- actually the .wad idea generator said power failure, so I made one.

Although yes if more wads used it you'd soon get sick of them, but I'll give him this one :) Furthermore, the blinking is helpful - it makes it pretty obvious which consoles you're meant to press on :)

--- golly thanks, and yes I tried to make it obvious, cause otherwise the beta testers at the forum would have complained to me about it.

Yes there are bugs though, these are all the ones I can remember:
It was odd not to have a yellow key, although the yellow doors aren't necessary (neither is the blue door) - I don't know if this is an oversight or a deliberate feature, as the doors would be accessible in deathmatch when you have all the keys from the start.

--- This only has something to do with the deathmatches.

The reverse sides of many of the shutters need textures: linedefs 24, 190, 234, 753 at least, possibly others.

--- yeah I should have checked those Doom Builder keeps removing them. Fixed

The teleporter in front of the sergeants (linedef 1527) and the teleporter behind the yellow door (linedef 1785) are both broken, I believe they have the wrong tag number.

--- Fixed, thank you.

The cacodemons behind that door and its opposite (things 103-106) are stuck together.

Other than that, pretty good!

--- thank you so much, I wish my beta testers for this were as good as you at picking up errors. After this level I picked up two of the greatest beta testers period.

Naan said:

For secrets I think it's fine, but if it's just to progress imo it should be made pretty obvious to the player.

I dont even play multiplayer but even seeing that Jack Bauer shit in every MP screenshot in newstuff is getting PRETTY FUCKING OLD

deathbringer said:

I dont even play multiplayer but even seeing that Jack Bauer shit in every MP screenshot in newstuff is getting PRETTY FUCKING OLD

Its really funny if you know the story behind it.

deathbringer said:

JACK BAUER SON!!!