Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

New Baron of Hell?

I got the following idea today (while doodling strange creatures in my lecture notes, as usual):

Just like the Doom Baron, it is a cross between a man and a powerful animal. Elephants are royal creatures, so the name also matches.

The Hell Knight could be given less manly tusks, to distinguish it from the Baron by more than just color.

Hippo? Surely it isn't that far from resembling an elephant? :-P A hippo would make a nice Mancubus, though.

There are some more doodles on my website, but not many.

Pretty nice. The body is powerful like the original baron. The tusks are fine but I'm not sure about the elephant trunk. To me it looks a little comical. Too much like an anthropomorphic thingy. The same monster with the trunk removed and a mouth made visible by the trunk's removal would probably look better IMO.

Maybe I have an anti-trunk thing going on. I thought it looked crap on the Doom3 Mancubus and on some AD&D monster that I forget the name of.

I did it without a trunk first for the same reason but thought it looked better with it.

Besides, there's precedent for being a little comical (Cacodemons).

I think that looks very good, even with the trunk, though I do believe it might look better w/o it. Good work!

Enjay said:
and on some AD&D monster that I forget the name of.

Malfera. Timothy Truman did the original artwork for it in an old module and it looked pretty good. You must have missed that version of the monster.

http://index.rpg.net/pictures/show-pic.phtml?picid=2120

I like this elephant monster. Since the Demon is already a wormlike monster, a trunklike appendage on this one's face fits in well.

The trunk is a bit amusing :) Maybe make it more like the Space Jockey's trunk?

Assuming you actually complete this thing (heh), what would we do with the existing baron (Lokito or whatever)? It's a nice sprite.

leileilol said:

tbh I liked the Lokito baron better. This one's just a man in an animal suit :(

you should have no problem with that :(
[/badjoke]

david_a said:
Maybe make it more like the Space Jockey's trunk?

If the trunk is not glued to the body, like in the current design, it can add movement to the figure by switching positions in different frames.

david_a said:

Assuming you actually complete this thing (heh), what would we do with the existing baron (Lokito or whatever)? It's a nice sprite.

Maybe, with a little adjustment, it could be the new imp?

leileilol said:

tbh I liked the Lokito baron better. This one's just a man in an animal suit :(

I feel like I've been here before :(

Me too. The lokito baron needs a clean-up, but it's a good sprite.

However, what about using this for the hellknight? I don't think we need to have the same sprite for Baron/HK as doom does.

I don't think this thing looks beefy enough. If you were to resize it and improve muscle tone in it or something, it would make a good Baron. Also, I'm not entirely sure it should be pink.

But another than that, this thing looks rockin'! :D

Resize it how? Are you saying it should be bigger than the original Baron? And what's wrong with the colors from the original game?

Jimmy91 said:
I don't think this thing looks beefy enough. If you were to resize it and improve muscle tone in it or something, it would make a good Baron.

I wonder what you mean by beefy; it looks sturdier but also a bit fatter than the one by id, which is fine considering both Fredrik's style and that it's an elephantlike monster. In any case, it is of the same height.

Also, I'm not entirely sure it should be pink.

Why not? Then the Hell knight can be brownish.

Jon said:
The lokito baron needs a clean-up, but it's a good sprite.

It looks out of place. Try and go for consistency. I like this one more anyway.

I don't think we need to have the same sprite for Baron/HK as doom does.

They should be very similar. They don't hurt each other for that very reason. Again, consistency (not only aesthetic but also in regard to the game's behavior).

leileilol said:
Because "Pink Elephant" is one hell of a double entendre.

Heh, more reason then; DOOM has impse, and now with Freedoom we got somewhere to start from.

That's one powerful pacaderm, fredrik. Totally fits in. Plus, it's a great graphic.
EDIT: I see the freedoom forum isn't that active. Sorry for the bump!