Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomshadow

Favorite DOOM 3 monster?

In my previous post I chose three favs. With more thought put into it, Mancubus comes out on top. Their footsteps and their growls are badass.

Too many faves to mention (vagary/cammandos/archvile/revs) but of note would be the hell imp witch has a slightly different look than the regular imps, like its been badly burnt or something, but looks cool. and hells hell knight has a slightly different look as well. they should have used them in other parts of the game as to add a little more variety to the "too many imps" argument. maybe even having a different kind of spawn to them as well.

The Revenant. I like how they look even better than b4 and the glowing green eyes. I didnt know if you shoot their rockets with plasma they burn away!

Mindless Rambler said:

Cacodemons. Its way too fun throwing a grenade into the gaping maw of one of those flying cheeseburgers.

yeah man cacodemons are the best. i like to blast em with a shot gun shell to the face though but grenades have their charm...

Glassyman said:

imps IMHO even if the imps were changed a lot.

Changed a lot for the better, now they have greater agility and more attacks, and they don´t look like lumbering mud golems anymore.

Tetzlaff said:

Changed a lot for the better, now they have greater agility and more attacks, and they don´t look like lumbering mud golems anymore.

Yes, now they are better. But I prefer the classic style.

I kinda hate how agile the new zombie soldiers are. Z-secs are their name or something? Why would a zombie be so tactical and agile?

Anyway, the Hell Knights are pretty much the best. They were the only monster that were a real huge challenge. Manucubus was cool because he was very similar to original, even making almost the same sound when he fires the guns.

Trites were very predictable though, every time I saw a tiny hole in the walls I knew Trites would come out of it.

Cherubs are kinda cool, but very annoying.

And yeah, they should've used those chainsaw zombies more, those are bad ass.

The pinkies though, they're not even pink anymore, nor do they look anything like they used to. But their growl is bad ass!!!! They're a bit too easy though.

And lost souls are SO annoying in that game! I finally figured out plasma gun works best against em though.

potnop said:

{...}Why would a zombie be so tactical and agile?
{...}
The pinkies though, they're not even pink anymore, nor do they look anything like they used to. But their growl is bad ass!!!! {...}

Z-Sec zombies aren't tactical and agile, they simply remember whatever moves they learnt in life, applying them on whatever looks familiar, without much reasonly thinking (they go for the player eventually nevertheless). It's also to be noted that lesser Z-Sec zombies don't wear a helmet -- and they're noticeably slower and more oblivious. I really think they're just better quality zombies than their civilian counterparts -- similar to Sarges/Zombiemen in classic Doom.
Commandos aren't zombies, though. They're humanoid devils. I won't expand on why they look like humans, I say they're all devils. Period.

The pinkies do look somewhat like the originals, as I could see them. They're mouth is similar. Their moving and biting speed is similar to that of the originals on -fast difficulty. Sadly, their growl is something I've heard a bit too much before Doom 3. It's a cheap big cat roar.

Well OK I guess I didn't know much about z-secs. It's a cool name though...

I never said the zombies with tentacles aren't cool. Those guys are awesome. And the ones with chainguns and chainsaws. I guess I forgot to mention them. They're the cool kind of zombie that I like, even though as you say they are humanoid devils. Those are the ones you mean right?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Burning Zombies, I always enjoyed seeing one of those, even if the encounters with them were less than what you can count on one hand. There's just something sickeningly humorous about seeing a zombie come crashing through wall panels, covered in flames and screaming bloody murder. But, as far as my own personal favorite...

It'd have to be the more intelligent Z-Secs. I loved the warning signals for when they were near, that gutteral gibberish between their comm-link. They seemed to show the most reactive AI in the game with my experience, from the duck-and-cover tactics, to trying to run you down (though I noticed that the SMG Z-Secs preferred to stay hidden instead of giving chasing like the pistol and shotgun-bearing ones) and even the shouts of surprise when you killed them, which drew any others in the area to your location.

Sure, nearly every monster is a blast to fight (who doesn't like pouring a chaingun ammo belt into a Hell Knight's skull?), so it's very hard for me to choose a favorite outside of saying I hate Cherubs (due to my odd phobia of children/infant-like creatures being used in horror settings. I blame the first Silent Hill for that conditioning) and the only too-numerous monster in Doom 3 are the Trites and Ticks. I don't mind fighting Imps 2 and 3 at a time as it presents a challenge and some real strategic fighting, but having to sit and empty out a pistol several times into Trite skulls just so you can move down a hallway... well, it's really my only serious complaint against Doom 3.

potnop said:

even though as you say they are humanoid devils.

I call devils those who in Doom 3 disappear on death (be it green blood trite explosion or generic burnaway). I'd call them demons, but demons are already there as a monster species. And in this case, tentaclers and chaingunners burn on death, while chainsawers, z-sec's and civilians don't...

I think the z-secs look too much like Counterstrike cops and too little like classic former humans. That's a minus...

Gun Priest said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Burning Zombies...

I thought those were one of the coolest improvised monsters I've seen in any game. Wasn't expecting that. My favorite monster has always been the Arch-Vile. He's a little weak in this game, but can still be formidable. Once I actually read his low health points, I took it alot less seriously. I tend to fight him with my shotgun anymore. So this detracts from him being my favorite for this game.

I'd have to say the best looking monster is the Rev, very well adapted. I also love the new Caco. I'd be hard pressed to actually pick a favorite. It *******ely wouldn't be the cyberdemon, he was most disappointing. If I could fight him with conventional weapons I'd be a happier man.

Mancubus, or the Hell Knight for me! :-)

Riddlebox19 said:

Mine would have to be the revenant for 1 reason alone, HE HAS ROCKET LAUNCHERS FOR SHOULDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hooray, you fou found the "post reply" button!

This is a hard one.

I really like the shotgun guys and the heavyweapon dudes along with mancubi and the hell knights.

The caco demons were bloody wicked too!

I can't really make a choice but pinky was just plain wicked even though he died rather easy.

(Talking like Sarge from Red vs. Blue)
My favorite Doom 3 monster would have to be, a dead Doom 3 monster [ha ha].

(Talking normal)
Sorry, I just had to do it. Anyway, mine would have to be the Flaming "Bernie" Zombie. When I saw one, it was like…

(Screaming like MC Chris)
B****, DON’T JUST STAND THERE, GRAB THE SHOTGUN AND SHOOT ‘EM! YOU DON’T HAVE TO LOAD IT, THE GAME ALREADY DID THAT S*** FOR YOU! SHOOT ‘EM, HE’S RUNNING TOWARDS YOU, HE’S ON FIRE, SHOOT ‘EM IN THE HEAD!

thekiller901 said:

(Talking like Sarge from Red vs. Blue)
My favorite Doom 3 monster would have to be, a dead Doom 3 monster [ha ha].
(Talking normal)
Sorry, I just had to do it. Anyway, mine would have to be the Flaming "Bernie" Zombie. When I saw one, it was like…
(Screaming like MC Chris)
B****, DON’T JUST STAND THERE, GRAB THE SHOTGUN AND SHOOT ‘EM! YOU DON’T HAVE TO LOAD IT, THE GAME ALREADY DID THAT S*** FOR YOU! SHOOT ‘EM, HE’S RUNNING TOWARDS YOU, HE’S ON FIRE, SHOOT ‘EM IN THE HEAD!

No now go away

My favorite Doom 3 monster would have to be, a dead Doo.. Oh that's been said already. Well in that case I'd say the archvile because unlike in Doom 2, he can manipulate the flames a bit.