Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #304

Belial said:

On the other hand, I haven't had time to dig into GoE, but judging from the demo it can be an awesome map. Too bad it requires Boom complevel.

It requires Boom complevel in txt only as additional protection and I am almost assured you will not have problems without it.

Well, the very first switch doesn't work without complevel 9, so I guess it is necessary after all.

Belial said:

Well, the very first switch doesn't work without complevel 9, so I guess it is necessary after all.

Check your default_compatibility_level in cfg. I think it equal to 2 or 3. But this level is a BOOM level and uses BOOM triggers which of course will not work at all with vanilla compatibility.

Belial said:

Umm, wasn't that what I was saying from the very beginning? :P

heh, I thought you are not happy, because this boom level requires forcing of boom compatibility instead of prboom's free style when you can change most of compatibility settings as you wish.

Boom = knocking living monsters off ledges.

Not something enjoyable in a slaughter map.

That's all.

Maybe entryway has a decent idea for this type of map, though; just use -1 compatibility level, but set each of the compatibility settings to Doom's behavior, except maybe the ones that affect the level... but in this case it seems to be merely switches. It might have other issues though, that aren't obvious (the stair building method may or may not have an effect).

entryway said:
heh, I thought you are not happy, because this boom level requires forcing of boom compatibility instead of prboom's free style when you can change most of compatibility settings as you wish.

He's saying it for sake of recording with full v1.9 compatibility, I'd say, which I agree to. It's better not to use Boom stuff unless it really makes a difference (such as conveyors use in the map or for tricks, wind effects, deep water, and so on), and not just a few switches here and there in an otherwise standard level. Even if PrBoom can allow you to set each compatibility independently, you don't know exactly which ones you need till you play the map. That's best remedied when the map is made, by the author (either using Boom stuff fully, or not at all), at least if he cares about demo recording.

Use3D I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at the closing sentence of your most recent post above. And It sure does get right to the point. I needed a good laugh today and got it. Thanks.

Belial said:

Boom = knocking living monsters off ledges.
Not something enjoyable in a slaughter map.

Really? It annoys me sometime, but I did not know that it depends from complevel. Is there no compatibility setting for that in prboom?

entryway said:
Is there no compatibility setting for that in prboom?

Yeah, it's one of the ones that comes from MBF (comp_falloff, I think). One easy way to set all the Doom stuff on is using the doom.cfg that comes with the PrBoom package as a base for the CFG. And I'm not sure if Boom's basic compatibility mode doesn't remove that as well, which is PrBoom's comp level 7.

myk said:

Yeah, it's one of the ones that comes from MBF (comp_falloff, I think)

I can't push cyberdemons into the lava from their columns in the latest room of GoE with complevel 2, but I can do it easily with complevel -1 when all compatibility settings are switched on.

entryway said:
but I can do it easily with complevel -1 when all compatibility settings are switched on.

True... looks like a bug. If you set all the compatibilities on (or just the one stopping monsters from falling off ledges) using MBF, you can't push them off.

At least a long wait allows more of a choice on where to begin.

In a way, the sense of symmetry found in my map was actually intentional.
I guess it's just hard to hide that I'm still a Wolf3D fan deep inside.

Oh well, at least I'm good at focusing on fun gameflow to balance the lack of non-symmetric detail.

myk said:
Yeah, it's one of the ones that comes from MBF (comp_falloff, I think).

comp_dropoff. comp_dropoff is monsters and stuff being pushed over ledges. comp_falloff is the torque simulation that makes corpses and everything else fall off ledges when they overhang. Yes they are badly named:)

myk said:
True... looks like a bug. If you set all the compatibilities on (or just the one stopping monsters from falling off ledges) using MBF, you can't push them off.

It is a bug, the trouble is comp_dropoff=1 basically doesn't apply in any complevel>=mbf. entryway recently fixed it to work in complevels>=mbf and <=prboom_2 for demo compatibility purposes.

Try using mbf complevel and comp_dropoff=1 with a recent (possibly test) version of prboom-plus (or prboom svn).

To fix it in best_compatibility (complevel -1) would require adding another compatibility level, demo version number etc. and there aren't very many of those left before the demo format gets broken completely so I feel a certain reluctance to just go and do it:)

The Lag said:

so, where's the infestation mod with new maps?

If I had a clue what you were talking about, I'd review it!

i'm really starting to like deathz0r's reviews. he still has his trademark "this wad is shit", but i think he's starting to be a little more open to things- and he gives good reasons for and against wads, which he didn't really used to do.

gg nextstuff

If you want to have one of the most "WTF?!" moments of your life, try opening TGRCP1 with XWE or another WAD lump editor.

Obviously, that "Tiger Files" or "TGRxxx" team must suffer from some degree of megalomania, Captain Obvious fetish, delusions of being uber-1337 h4xx0rz, a severe case of anal retentivity or all of these things put together. In particular, they must think that manually editing as many strings possible, embedding "special" lumps, and using a weird WAD layout must somehow make them super-technical.

Just look at the DEHACKED lump: they rewrote EACH ONE OF THE TEXT MESSAGES, making all quit messages IDENTICAL, spelled "medikit" wrong as "medkit"....some of the texts are unchanged but for an exclamation mark, or completely rewritten only to end up in a more verbose and longer form as possible!

I'm sure they retyped every single text string by hand even in the rare occasions where something wasn't changed, just to feel 1337 and uber for doing so or "doing things again the right way" or something. What next, hand-generated nodes or retyping even BINARY lumps with a hex editor, to make the WAD "TRGxxx" approved?

The texts themselves show a lot of residues of German grammar and Pointless Noun and Verb Capitalization, as well as "Pointless" "Quotes", if you "Get" what I "Mean".

The WAD is also full of mysterious custom lump markers (must be the mysterious TRGxxx technology...) plus a lot of recolored, edited or plainly ripped textures from doom.wad and doom2.wad.

The icing on the cake is that, though:

IWAD Needed : Doom2.wad
IWAD Address : HTTP://WWW.IDSoftware.com

like they were implying the wad can be DOWNLOADED from ID software, and that e.g. tnt.wad, plutonia.wad and Freedoom can't be used...

I don't know, either this is an interesting pathological case, or the guys are fucking geniuses.

Edit: this has postid 666555 so ph34r

...however the absolutely worst, unforgivable aspect of "Team TGR"'s super anally retentive maps is this (from the Dehacked)

GOTBFG9000 = You got the Bio Force Gun 9000!
OB_BFG10K_SELF = %o Doesn't Know How To Use The Bio Force Gun 10000k
OB_BFG10K_SELF_2 = %o Doesn't Know How To Use The Bio Force Gun 10000k
That's right people, they desecrated the Holy BFG. I rest my case.

Maes said:

GOTBFG9000 = You got the Bio Force Gun 9000!
OB_BFG10K_SELF = %o Doesn't Know How To Use The Bio Force Gun 10000k
OB_BFG10K_SELF_2 = %o Doesn't Know How To Use The Bio Force Gun 10000k

10000k? So, like... 10 million? Tigers Files fail at mathematics, along with everything else, heh.

Maes said:

words

Holy crap, I wish I looked at the WAD in XWE. I would have gone on for another seven paragraphs.