Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

Feature Request: Copying from one wad to another

Csabo, I know that this question has come up in the past, but it bears repeating. Can XWE be upgraded to incorporate a function to copy any lump/entry/object from one wad to another? This time I need to copy all the entries from one wad into another. It appears that the only way I can do this is if I save the entries into a folder and then load then up into my second wad.

In this thread you said "The Edit|Copy and Paste commands are for the lump list." If lumps can be copied within a wad, is it difficult to allow lump copying between wads?

EDIT: I have solved one of the problems, i.e., copying all the entries of one wad into another. I discovered the Merge function, which does exactly that.

This only solves a part of the problem I was addressing. It would still be nice to be able to copy and paste any type of object, and to be able to copy and paste lumps selectively from one wad to another.

Sorry, I'm not clear on what you mean by any lump/entry/object. You can do that with copy/paste. Select any number of lumps (use CTRL+click and/or SHIFT+click to select multiple entries, just like in an explorer window), then copy. Open the destination WAD, then paste. Is this not what you are looking for?

Those are exactly the steps I'm taking. The only difference is that I am opening two instances of XWE, and trying to copy from one wad to another. When I do that the Edit|Paste function is not available.

I tried it your way - open one wad, select the lumps to copy, close that wad and open the destination wad, paste lumps. It works just fine. I wonder why I didn't think of doing it this way.

Any idea why it would not work when copying entries from one wad to another when the wads are open simultaneously in two instances of XWE?

Yes, it definitely would be nice if you could have multiple wads (or indeed any game resource) open at the same time. In fact, this is one of the three main reasons I still occasionally use WinTex instead of XWE (the other two being WinTex's ability to automatically remove nonexistant patches from PNAMES, and its more flexible texture editing).

XWE doesn't really copy the selected entries to the Windows clipboard. It has it's own clipboard. The main reason for it is to have the ability of adding multiple entries, e.g. you can select one or more entries, click COPY, then select some other entries, click COPY again, and the first batch will not be lost.

Until recently (1.16+) XWE did not even have the capability of running multiple instances. The undo feature would mess up if you tried that. That is now working, you can safely run multiple instances. However I don't have a good solution for copying between instances yet.

I guess the existing way of copy/pasting is still a good "workaround".