Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kobalt2k7

Original, full quality Doom 1,2 soundtrack

I noticed that there is a low quality version of the Doom soundtrack floating around in MP2 form. I am not aware of a full quality, game usable recording of the game music on original synthesizer hardware.

I happen to (very luckily) own the original hardware that the Doom 1 and 2 music was composed an intended for, a Roland RAP-10 sound card.

Would you all be interested in a full quality recording of the sound track? It's not meant to be beefed up, but rather to be exactly what was intended when it was made. I'll need someone to host the files for me since I have no reliable host.

However, I do have a crap host that you all can leech a sample from. When the host breaks, it breaks. I can't do anything about it.

http://n.1asphost.com/Chazman/Demotrack.mp3_

Just remove the _ from the end of the file name.

Nice, it sounds way better than both my new machines, I'm also glad to say it sounds similar to my SB128, which is in my main Dooming computer.

Also, you should make the recording.

This sounds like the instrument set used on Bobby Prince's CD, which is good I guess.

Use FLAC instead and you indeed get full quality (lossless compression).

That sounds very good. I also agree that you should provide them as FLAC (as well as MP3 for those users that don't mind a lossy format).

edit: btw SiteSled is a good and free host.

Kobalt2k7 said:

Would you all be interested in a full quality recording of the sound track? It's not meant to be beefed up, but rather to be exactly what was intended when it was made. I'll need someone to host the files for me since I have no reliable host.

Sure. I'm still using the old MP2's but their quality is really not that great.
Your sample sounds precisely like what I have been looking for for a long time, especially the part of not being meant to be beefed up.

For hosting the files you can use one of the many free file hosting services out there, like for example Rapidshare.

BTW, the tracks I'd really like to hear on that particular hardware are the ones from TNT:Evilution MAP01 and MAP10.

Graf Zahl said:

BTW, the tracks I'd really like to hear on that particular hardware are the ones from TNT:Evilution MAP01 and MAP10.

The Final Doom music doesn't sound as good. It's very bright, loud, and a tad unbalanced. I'll record it anyway.

I'll start recording these later tonight.

Wow, that was probably the best sounding version of these tracks I've heard. Chalk up another vote for putting them somewhere in FLAC format (in addition to MP3)...

Kobalt2k7 said:
The Final Doom music doesn't sound as good. It's very bright, loud, and a tad unbalanced. I'll record it anyway.

Same as with a simple Sound Blaster, then. It's likely the contriburing music composers used different and varied hardware when doing the TNT music.

Sorry for the delay. Problems abound, avoiding suicide, etc (long story). I haven't forgotten the recordings, I've just been busy. Here's a little "teaser" that I had time to record:

http://kobalt2k7.sitesled.com/E2M6.ogg
http://kobalt2k7.sitesled.com/Map09.ogg

And as a bonus, this is from the Doomworld page:

When I was composing the songs for DOOM, I did not get to see any finished levels. In the case of DOOM II, there were some levels that changed very little from the very early days of development. One of these was what I called "Sandy's City" because it was a level designed by Sandy Peterson. Everyone loved playing that level and I decided that I had to write a song that sounded sorta "city-like." This song was the result. Originally I had a piano playing the part that the harpsichord is playing but no one at id liked the idea of a piano in any of the music. As a joke, I changed the patch to the harpsichord. I expected everyone to voice opposition, but everyone seemed to like it -- so, I left it in!
Sandy's City level made it into DOOM II, but there were several changes (made to raise the frame rate, I think). To me, the changes made the level less fun to play (but it's still a great level, especially for deathmatch).

http://kobalt2k7.sitesled.com/Original_Map09_with_Piano.ogg

Yeah, these sound great. And that original/piano mix sounds really good too.

I forgot to mention. You'll probably notice some hum and hiss in the tracks. I can't do anything about it because the synthesizer card is very old and just sounds that way due to tech of the era.

As far as I'm concerned, this should be the definitive soundtrack...

I could hear a bit of hiss, but only in the quiet sections and with headphones on. I didn't notice any hum at all (but then again, I was sitting next to a computer at the time).

I wonder how easy it'd be to make audio CDs. Have a CD for Doom 1, Doom 2, and Final Doom (iirc Plutonia reuses tracks from all of those and has nothing original on its own).

It was kind of humorous listening to the piano mix seeing as I play piano and often transpose doom music, including that very song. If I ever invest in a better mic I'll make a few recordings.

Bank said:
If I ever invest in a better mic I'll make a few recordings.

A guy YouTubed himself playing DOOM tracks on the piano.

Then I'd need to buy a camera : )

I'm very interested in the video game piano scene. I've been doing it for a long time, quite a while before it became popular and widespread. I recall very early learning the doom music, and still play a lot of 90s game songs. Duke 2 and 3D were some of my favorites, along with the earlier blizzard games (Warcraft II, Starcraft, Diablo.) In recent years I've added some Deus Ex tracks among a few others. I had a medley all written about a year ago but haven't had time to get it recorded.

It sounds identical to generic Sound Canvas GM set which used in RAP10, SCB55, SC55(mkii), etc. And DOOM Music CD by Bobby Prince ofcourse sounds like this too but with some digital implementations.
I have Roland RAP-10, SCB55 and LAPC-I (this one not related to subj, just noticed ;)) and these babies sound like that.
Roland soft synthesizer series "Virtual Sound Canvas" aka VSC sounds like that too. Just install it and enjoy.

It sounds identical because it *is* the RAP-10. The Roland VSC is not a particularly good emulation of the SC-55/RAP-10/SCC-1. It sounds better than the Microsoft synth, but it uses the same waveforms as the MS synth with a couple small exceptions.

The only way to get the real sound is to get a real synth or card. The closest cards to the official Roland devices are the early Terratec Maestro 32/96 and sampler cards. Those use a licensed copy of the actual SC-55 ROM, but have a different synth engine and still lack the sound of the real synth.

so let me get this straight, you are reproducing the music on the same hardware? its sounds very accurate if thats the case!!

one would think you just converted the songs to ogg and uploaded them haha :)

Kobalt2k7 said:
plus the bunny song.

Should have been "victor" instead. But it'll come, I know.