Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Weird Doom dreams.

I have dreamt of Doom many times, and what's common to most of these occurences is how Doom is "rendered" in my dream. It looks like a weird cross between reality and Doom: e.g. I always dreamt of Doom with me being actually inside it, not like I was controlling a game, and the looks of monsters and my surroundings were "real", not pixelated or cartoonish. However, the architecture was clearly very "Doomish" in appearance, despite the materials and shapes being realistic, except for water or nukage.

What disturbed me the most, in these dreams, is how the monsters themselves looked: in general they looked very close to the game, but again they didn't look pixelated or flat, something very hard to describe.

The most disturbing dream about Doom was however related to Archviles: in one infamous dream I had a year or so ago, an archvile was following me down the street but not for attacking me, but instead it appeared to mock me by doing a weird, bizarre and macabre dance behind me.

The other dream, more recent, had me kill several archviles with a BFG, only to see their dead bodies being somehow blown close to me: I knelt over to touch one of them: it looked like a mummy covered in dirty, yellowish pus-encrusted bandages, and to the touch their skulls and body felt just like a human body, but with a squishy feeling and crushed bones. It almost made me feel sorry for them.

One time I dreamt that I was battling a mancubus.
...and I'm not even going into the impse dreams.

i dreamed i was mapping once. then i dreamed i was playing it on gameboy. that's about it.

Hmm, just last night I dreamed about Doom. It was some weird cross between E1M8 of Doom and MAP03 of that heroes2z.wad file.

about 10 years ago I dreamt I was a vampire on the uss enterprise and I was playing doom in the holodeck. not playing on a computer, but in the game made "real". how many nerd points do I get for that?

Oh shit, this reminds me of a thread I started a few months ago about one of my Doom dreams except it was the most lively and realistic dream I had ever had by far. When I woke up I had to make a thread about it because it was too damn real and I could describe almost everything that happened.

It was one of those dreams where you wake up and you have to take a few minutes to recollect reality and convince yourself that it had never happened.

http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?t=33560&highlight=doom+dream

What happened in it was not entirely that amazing, but I practically memorized every single event that happened.

Never.

I took some blotter acid and played Doom, that was a weird time. There was a smoky, oozy look to Map 01. The textures swelled and it has a lot more of 3d look to it.

I rarely dream of Doom, though every now and then I dream of some fantasy Doom level, or at least parts of one. Also, once in a while, as I'm starting to doze off at night I get this really vivid short dream that seems so realistic, but only lasts a few seconds. One of these was on map25 (Bloodfalls) near the end, I was standing near the pillars watching these monsters, and suddenly a revenant came over and punched me. It only lasted a few seconds and I woke up afterwards, but my heart was thumping and I was shaking.

Bloodshedder said:

How do you timeline something like this? People have new dreams all the time.

And actually touching a dead or agonizing archvile was a pretty non-timeline experience, I can assure you.

Sometimes I dream not only of playing Doom, but I also get what I would call "mapping inspiration": it's like somebody showed pretty detailed maps of a level I am to build, or how to make a real place into a Doom map. Who knows, maybe one day I will start a "Dream mapping" series...

Maes said:

What disturbed me the most, in these dreams, is how the monsters themselves looked: in general they looked very close to the game, but again they didn't look pixelated or flat, something very hard to describe.

So they looked like colored versions of the clay models the monsters were based on?

Maes said:

Had you played lots of JDoom that day?

The most disturbing dream about Doom was however related to Archviles: in one infamous dream I had a year or so ago, an archvile was following me down the street but not for attacking me, but instead it appeared to mock me by doing a weird, bizarre and macabre dance behind me.

Deja vu that description, really. Had you tried wads with full REJECT?

The other dream, more recent, had me kill several archviles with a BFG, only to see their dead bodies being somehow blown close to me: I knelt over to touch one of them: it looked like a mummy covered in dirty, yellowish pus-encrusted bandages, and to the touch their skulls and body felt just like a human body, but with a squishy feeling and crushed bones. It almost made me feel sorry for them.

They're devils, you don't feel sorry for them.

I must admit that this game we all love has caused me a many a nightmare too. And I'm 47 years old!! LOL!! For me, the source of fear is always a Cyberdemon that has somehow gotten into my house and is "stomping" around out in the hall waiting for me to come out of my room. When I do come out, I bolt down the hall and dart into another room. And just like in the real game, I just make it around the corner when the rockets swish past me and crash into the wall. When I finally make it outside, it's balls to the wall as far as I can make it. When I think I've put enough distance between me and the house, I'll slow down and start walking. And as I do, I'll glance back just to make sure he's not following me. And without fail, I will catch a glimpse of that big ram's head in the distance. In his characteristic way, he's stomping back and forth from side to side while at the same time, managing to move ever closer toward me. No matter where I go to get away from him, he's still not far behind. And that's how it is until I wake up.

The only other thing I can think of about the dreams is that I feel like people in my family and in the neighborhood somehow hold me responsible for Cybie's presence and the resulting terror he has brought on the neighborhood. And I feel bad that I haven't done more to warn everybody about who he is and what he does when he sets his sights on you.

This could be a good idea for a map pack. Represent in a map a DOOM dream you had, as faithful as possible, then in the text file each mapper explains briefly the tale of his dream.

@printz:

JDoom? Never used it :-(
REJECT...well I guess it would kinda work that way, but without the bizarre dancing motion :-p
And yeah, I know they are devils, but they looked so helpless in my dream (well, anything mutilated by several BFG blasts will look kinda helpless...)

JohnnyRancid said:

Oh shit, this reminds me of a thread I started a few months ago about one of my Doom dreams except it was the most lively and realistic dream I had ever had by far.

I read that dream in the link. Sounds really cool, and very much the behaviour of a dream.

It's also given me a sweet idea for my upcoming mod. Nothing to be revealed yet, but suffice to say thanks for the inspiration...

I don't have Doom dreams anymore, but did when I was younger and was first introduced to the game. Its realistic and visceral nature was so new to me and so intense at the time that I just couldn't get it out of my head, nor stop playing. The dreams would usually begin as normal dooming situations, albeit in pitch-black rooms playing doom on some grim-looking terminal with wires sticking out of it and random knobs (like something out of Doom3 actually, or the hoverships in The Matrix). Something irrational would always happen like God Mode suddenly being defeated by a Cyberdemon somehow, giving me no escape. Or I would actually be IN the game, have god mode on to protect myself, only to find it deactivated somehow by another monster while I ran for my life!

Now the closest thing to Doom I dream of are ideas for the mod I'm working on! I harvest ideas for this mod like Pablo Escobar on Coca plants.

Actually sorry I don't think you dream stuff you did that day, but stuff you thought about doing but didn't yet you were tempted. Probably.

Because I just dreamt playing Doom, despite not having played any PC game since 14th August. It was a clear dream, and I remember most of it, because I had to wake up. It was a Doom 1 scene, with dark 112-lit hallways with SLADWALL, CEIL5_3, METAL, MIDGRATE and NUKAGE. First there was a hallway flanked by alcoves containing Sergeants, then a winding hallway with closets opening by each side, revealing Cacodemons in gory rooms, in front of scrolling faces. It ended by a similarly dark nukage pool, as in E1M4, smaller, with more metal, and a cabin with another Cacodemon, a door to the right, and a current pouring into the pool, ahead. 20th century-wise detail. The level used sounds from HEROES2.WAD.

There are two problems if one wanted to make maps off dreams, Vegeta:
- the person should have been wakened up, otherwise s/he'd have forgotten everything
- it wouldn't be a big map after all (WELL IT MAY BE, what's dreamt is only a part of the map, so you can forget this problem).

printz said:

There are two problems if one wanted to make maps off dreams, Vegeta:
- the person should have been wakened up, otherwise s/he'd have forgotten everything
- it wouldn't be a big map after all (WELL IT MAY BE, what's dreamt is only a part of the map, so you can forget this problem).

Well, I'm quite good at remembering dreams, especially if I dream of something which I thought I'd never figure out by myself when awake. This includes creative things, such as doom maps.

I typically remember a Doom dream well enough to sketch a map of what I saw (and, for some reason I can usually "ask" and obtain to see a map of my location in the dream).

Of course, to better remember dreamt Doom locations, I have to resort to generic descriptions like e.g. "it looks like a marble arena with spiral stairs" or "it looks like an enlarged MAP01 with toilets including 17 urinals and 20 separated shitters" (I'm not kidding, I even dreamt of this :-) ). No, I haven't dreamed of impse and cybie...yet.

Some of the things I dreamed would become very nice and fairly large maps, including architectures such as buildings with lounges, ships, and warehouses with a reachable balcony etc. The hardest thing is finding the will to actually map something...

i had a dream like doom but the monsters were furbys and one was huge-touching the 9000ft. high castle ceiling. i had a kickbutt chaingun but the rest of the weapons looked the same.

Strangely enough, I almost never had or remember Doom dreams even if I play hell a lotsa of it. At least not dreaming that I am fighting the demons, but I just remembered playing some beatiful detailed WADs where I explore some cave and reach an outside area where I see a so well detailed mansion far away that looked like the mansion in some Lucasarts game (Monkey Island maybe?). Then I woke up and imagined of making really beatiful detailed WADs :)

I guess it depends on how much attached I am in the doom community and if I wake up everyday and have furious thoughts about Doom editing/contributing to the community in my mind, because I have seen quite more dreams about the demoscene (like watching impossible demos, visiting demoparties in strange places, trying to finish my code before the deadline and such stuff :P) and with my involvement in the demoscene all those years I slept at nights thinking of demomaking, worrying about deadlines, etc. So it was really in my mind and dreaming of it, while Doom at the other side, I am really playing quite a lot but I am not yet so much attached in the community or having it everyday in my mind to produce hell of dreams.

Oh, I also remembered that I once dreamed that I have found an Amstrad CPC in an altair where someone had ported Doom and it had good resolution and played so smooth that I wondered how is that possible on the 8bits!

p.s. I'd like to see a dream where Cacodemon's fly around the balcony in my house and invade my room, oh wait, I was mapping already something similar to that with my room as a map ;)

I've dreamt plenty of dreams about doom during the years and can't probably even remember them all. Some are just plain weird and happen when I'm dreaming a completely different dream, with people from real life as dream characters. Then there might just be a door somewhere which I go through and suddenly find myself in doom. The strangest thing is that I usually remember the "design" of my doom-related dreams and have even used some dream-design in the upcoming megawad I'm working on with Pcorf. :D

Sometimes there have been talking cyberdemons & planning assaults on enemy hordes with an allied cyber or baron or whatever. These are usually just pure adventure dreams and sometimes I've just seen dreams of doom where I'm "spectating" and watching monsters kill each others in myriads of quantities :D

The human mind surely is weird sometimes.

I usually hate having video game related dreams. The last Doom one I had was just me in (what felt like) an hour-long deathmatch game. I think it was probably the first time I've been bored while I was asleep.

I've been having a lot of zombie dreams as of late. Not really about doom though. Last one I had involved headcrabs from Half-Life, which is weird because I only have the DC beta and I never play it.

I once had a dream that I was running through my tyipical day, but I was carrying around DOOM weapons and killing demons with corpses that swiveled around to face me like in DOOM, but the rest of my life was normal, in fact my friend said, "Dude! Check out their bodies!"

It was weird...

When Doom 3 came out and I played it, the next night I had a nightmare that a hellknight pitched me around on a running monorail...