Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Belial

Heretic demos (non-demopack and NM)

Vile said:

Also, a comment about e3m8 in nightmare skill... say you have the first D'Sparil on foot and a second one on the dragon.

Wait a sec, there's just one D'Sparil and there's no monster respawning in Heretic.

Belial said:
There's no monster respawning in Heretic.

Yeah, in the skills you can select. But Heretic-n has a category that is skill 5 plus the respawn parameter, which they call nightmare.

The curiosity in that level is that you get both forms of the boss at once when it starts to respawn. Had they added Nightmare like in DOOM one can suppose they would have hardcoded an exception so that wouldn't happen, but being that they made the hardest skill without respawn, they didn't bother.

Indeed. Here's a snippet from the text included with Vince's nightmare demo:

"comments: This demo shows that's it's *almost* impossible to finish
this map with the -respawn commad.
D'Sparil starts on dragon, when you kill that dragon, d'sapril
on foot appears. But because of -respawn, the d'sapril on dragon
will respawn shortly.
So I decided to focus on killing the D'sparil on foot. When he
died all monsters on the map died too, including the d'sparil on
dragon which then spawned another d'sparil on foot. And the sector
that is normally triggered when d'sapril on foot dies didnt work
since another instance of d'sparil on foot appeared.
The only ways to complete it are:
- if you can kill d'sparil on foot before the dragon respawns...
but I believe it's highly unlikely.
- sit on the dragon's spawn spot, but be prepared to be under
ultra-heavy monk fire + d'sparil's painful lightning blasts. "

Anyway: h1f3-250. This reminded me of doom e1m7 sessions... addicting as hell, even if 100% kills was based on a leap of faith.

About e3m8 nm, yes you are right, it could work.

But it remains very hard to know how much health the 1st d'sparil has. And once you think he is low enough and kill the dragon it may not be easy to finish off the 1st one because :
- he teleports ultra fast and you need quite some luck to hit him
- there will be 2 d'sparil on foot ...
- you dont have much time before another dragon appears

you are very welcome to try it :)

another problematic map e5m8 in NM ...

h1f3-250 uploaded, world class quality demo :)

Got e3m8 nightmare in 4:45. Sheesh, gets pretty hectic on the battlefield with so many purple donuts being tossed about. It's so chaotic that I wasn't even the one who killed the original D'Sparil (lucky!). I had two on foot at once and managed to get the original killed before another Dragon could appear.

Concerning strategy, I used as much of the flamethrower as I could to damage him in the beginning, then relied on the tomed dragonclaw to try and snipe him when he went nuts with his teleporting. Oh, and I forgot that the second pair of wings could reach the exit early when he dies, so I goofed a bit. Oh well, it's done at least. :)

EDIT: looked at e5m8 nightmare... yeah this is far worse. The only possibility that I can see is luring them all to the center so that you could strafe around them and attempt to keep fire equalized throughout the entirely group, then lure them into a corner so that you can use the flamethrower to finish them all as quickly as possible (doing it in the middle just gets you knocked around too much).

The chaos device could telefrag one, but leaves you in a bad position.

wow, truly impressive... you got lucky in the short timespan after the dragon's death :)

btw, email demos to me, I always have troubles to get the demos from your host ;)

as for e5m8, the ring's effect is already too short to finish off 3 maulotaurs. Your tactic is worth a try :) but it will need a big chunk of fat luck.

edit : to demos section admins... For non-demopack demos maybe there should be a "heretic demos" thread. It would be the right place for vile's nm demo, new heretic-n demos and even demos recorded on other ports ?

Well, we could ask Graaza again, or Opulent, so they could make a sticky topic... this would be very nice, and would attract more ppl too :D!... ammm btw, I'll be going to the beach on tuesday, and I'll be back only in the weekend, so, no demos this week hehe... maybe I can do one more before going, but I'm so lazy hahaha... but we'll see... see ya guys!

VinceDSS said:

edit : to demos section admins... For non-demopack demos maybe there should be a "heretic demos" thread. It would be the right place for vile's nm demo, new heretic-n demos and even demos recorded on other ports ?

Split as requested.

Heretic got quiet again, oh well. I've only been trying e5m8 nightmare once in a while lately. I'm convinced that it's possible, since the closest I got was having a maulotaur respawn just as the very last one was dying. It's all about luck, so attempts get boring. I've maintained that using the flamethrower with the ring while they all try to gang up on you is the way to finish them all at the same time, but there's no accurate way of telling how damaged each one is. It's easy to accidentally kill one before setting up the final trap. Oh well, in time, it'll be done by someone...

Heh, funny, I finally noticed that maulotaurs share the same weakness as doom's lost souls: their charge attack is stopped by ammunition and items such as the ones scattered around the battlefield.

Vile said:
Heh, funny, I finally noticed that maulotaurs share the same weakness as doom's lost souls: their charge attack is stopped by ammunition and items such as the ones scattered around the battlefield.

Heh, I think the little red guys get that too, when they charge/soar at an opponent.

Vile, I guess you are the best bet to nail e5m8 !! keep on working :)

It is indeed based on sheer luck, and I dont have time to wait for this oddity to happen :(

made a couple more demos,

3 black plague speed demos : e3m4s in 1:12, e4m1 in 1:35 and e4m4 in 0:28
(results of me trying to make some nightmare demos and forgot the -respawn command, then realised these were better than the current best time)

2 nightmare demos : h1m6s in 1:12, e1m1 in 0:28

a speed demo : e3m6 in 0:58

a nomonsters demo : e4m4 in 0:25.60

can be found here : http://www.geocities.com/peroxyd2s/Heretic/Incoming/

>> I didnt spend much time doing this.
Perhaps; but you spend far enough time on your previous runs - so this one is result of your great experience.
>> Your demos look way better than mine.
No. They are simply hard-worked short demos.

Hey guys, I just started playing some Heretic and thought I would consider recording for Heretic-n. My question is what config do you use that works best for Heretic. Are you able to use tools in the heat of battle effectively? Also, would you consider taking tyson demos? (I would interpret that as using stick, gauntlets, wand and tools to kill all the monsters).

>> Are you able to use tools in the heat of battle effectively?

Yes. Through manually reassigned 'use item' in cfg-file: key_useartifact <keycode>

for me it is 44 ('Z')

>> edit : heretic-n updated ...

And database structure updated perfectly. Good job. :)

I did a couple of max demos (black plague) for e2m1 and e2m2. The demopack is done so I chose to post them here. I heard someone mention something about longtics so I think my demos might not be good(I used the default settings).

hdemos.zip

hey xit, I am very busy at work lately, more than I thought I would be. On top of that, add plutonia 2, my other megawad project, buying a house and commuting 2h30 a day... that makes a stuck schedule :D

For your heretic demos, just like heretic-n states, email to < heretic . demos at free . fr > whenever you have a demo. I will put it in incoming within 24 hours. Btw, nice times and good to see you show some interest in heretic :D

Tyson will be accepted as long I get a few demos (let's say 3). The rules will be the same as the compet-n (weapons 1 and 2 only + the artifacts). Should be interesting to watch as the items will be quite helpfull :D (though I never managed to handle the stick as well as doom's punch, I guess the timing is different and needs practice).

As hitherto described, you can remap the item key by adding the line 'use_artifact xx' to heretic.cfg. Only downside is that if you open setup.exe again it will remove it. So once set, dont reopen setup.exe.

Also, something that I find super useful, with MS Intellipoint 4.12 (the last one for win98) you can map keystrokes to extra mouse buttons. I have a mx518 with 8 buttons, but the MS drivers allows me to remap 5 of them. So I remapped the middle button to Enter so I can activate my items. And the 2 buttons under the thumb are remapped to fly up and fly down, which helps tremendously.

Also, I run using the shift key (I dont use autorun). When running manually holding shift and using an item, it skips to the next item. When I have the item I want to use, I just release shift (stop running) and press my use key, it will activate it. It's very useful to select items while running/strafing and then use it by stopping running for split second.

Those demos aren't that great in my opinion. I just did a h4f5 which I think is pretty good, although not as good as my doom stuff. It should appear in incoming as soon as Vince gets it.