Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel17

Favorite Ultimate DOOM map?

So, of the original four DOOM episodes, which map is your favorite? Mine's E2M4, Deimos Lab.

How about you?

Thanks for this incredibly original thread!
Who would have thought that on a Doom forum someone would have posted a thread about their favorite Doom level???

YMB said:

Thanks for this incredibly original thread!
Who would have thought that on a Doom forum someone would have posted a thread about their favorite Doom level???

You're just bitter because he's stealing your "post pointless crap" shtick.

Joe said:

You're just bitter because he's stealing your "post pointless crap" shtick.

You got me :(

I agree on E2M4.
I like E1M8 alot though, even though it's THE shortest Published Doom map. I like it probably because of the fight with the Barons and Spectres on UV. o-o

I dunno if I can pick one out from the whole game. So I take one from each episode.
E1M6, E2M4, E3M3, E4M6.

Me neither. The best I can do is bring it to a tie between E1M7 and E4M6.

Anyway, picking a best from each episode:

E1M7, E2M4, E3M7, E4M6

and my second favorites in each episode, just because I can:

E1M3, E2M2, E3M5, E4M2

Hmm, I'm going to pick my favorite from each episode as well, since you're all doing it :)

E1M4, E2M4, E3M3, E4M8

Mithral_Demon said:

I agree on E2M4.
I like E1M8 alot though, even though it's THE shortest Published Doom map. I like it probably because of the fight with the Barons and Spectres on UV. o-o

Huh? I'm pretty sure the shortest map is actually

Prince of Darkness said:

E2 M9

As for my favorite Ultimate Doom map, I'd say...hmm. I don't really think it's fair to count episode 4 as part of the same thing, since e1-e3 were the first maps id made, and e4 were the very last.

Out of the original three episodes, my favorite map would almost definitely be something in episode 1. Maybe e1m5 or e1m7. Episode 2's maps all at least had some potential, but most of them fell way short of it due to them being so rushed. I do enjoy playing through e2, though. I'm not even going to go into episode 3's problems.

From episode 4, I'd probably say e4m6. It's the most visually-impressive iwad map I can think of, and it just feels huge and epic.

I have really fond memories of E2M6. It use to scare the shit outta me, but I liked how it played and I really liked the music (holy crap I hated that fake exit trap the first time I ran into it!). But overall, I'd have to say E1M3 is my absolute favorite. Dunno why, but I really loved that map.

blink182sean said:

i dont know the E#M# but the level name was Pandemonium.
Just the coolest level.

Thats in the third episode, so its E3M2 I believe.

My favorites for each episode are:
E1M8, E2M2, E3M6, E4M6

Mechadon said:

I have really fond memories of E2M6. It use to scare the shit outta me, but I liked how it played and I really liked the music (holy crap I hated that fake exit trap the first time I ran into it!).

I'll second this.

Another favorite is E4M2, which doesn't have quite as good an atmosphere, but I really like the gameplay in it. This was the first level that gave me a real challenge when I first switched to using the mouse.

Let's see...

None of the E1 levels really stand out that much (I like them all plenty) but I would probably go with E1M7.

E2 has some close ones, as well as some which aren't so great in my opinion, but it would probably be a tie between E2M2 and E2M5.

Some of the E3 levels are super fun, but others (E3M2) are just annoying. However, I love E3M3. Maybe my favorite in the episode, actually...

I don't know the E4 levels that well, but if I remember E4M6 correctly, it was pretty awesome.

Extremely difficult question... so many good ones.
-from a design and explore standpoint E2M2
-from aha-experience E3M9
-never will forget the look of E2M5

Overall it's a close tie between E2M9 and E3M6*.

*is for me more in the spirit of DoomII than DoomI - sandbox as some would call it.

You know E4M8 is like E6L10 of Wolfenstein - the exact same tendency to put some more obstacles before the boss fight.

I hate how when I play a classic game or Doom 1 episode wad, when I get to the boss level I only see an arena with the boss as the only enemy. It gets worse if that boss is easy. What about tension building...

A real good example of a Doom 1 map is E4M1. What a good monster balance this infamous little piece of hell has.