Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zemniomega

Doom Connector 4

It's time to announce Doom Connector 4's first major release.
Owning the rights to DC4, this isn't really a vendetta. So, without further delay(but with a new web site [**]), Doom Connector 4 (v1)!

http://doomconnector.co.nr/

Masterservers are [quote]releh close[end quote] to being coded because we actually have the codes. Also, ping timeouts are completely bytes in the wind.

Bon Appetite!!!

Just on a pre-emptive note:

If CodeImp states that you are misrepresenting anything about his code or the use of it, etc., this goes bye-bye.

And if anyone else starts weighing in (as happened before) with claims that you have acted improperly (e.g. by claiming ownership of code that isn't theirs to own), then they go bye-bye too, unless their claims are backed up 100% by CodeImp.

More generally, no turning this into a shitfest.

Otherwise, everyone please keep this thread about this actual resource. Thanks in advance.

Oh, sure. It wasn't really me. It was between Anonymous and Zorcher and I shouldn't be stating anything that would spark anything. But yeah. It's 100% genuine and if you want to use it, you're free too. :) Thanks for your time and support, man.

Oh we're at this point again :P

As I stated before, there is no license with this code, each is free to do as he/she likes. So carry on.

Zemniomega: Cool, but I'm not going to be using DC4. I'm sorry, but I just don't like Marcus Koller. So if he’s got even the slightest bit of power, I'm staying the hell away.

Its nothing to do with you, but I just had a bad past with Marcus (I won't go into detail. He at least deserves some respect). Considering he has privileges that are above a standard user... well.. I'm just repeating myself here :D. Otherwise, Good luck. Hope this lasts long.

Yeah, I can't say Marcus has done anything that makes me ok with him having any more rights than a standard user.

Someone keeps pm'ing me on oftc asking for permission to make a dll for odamex and requesting the protocol specs. For whomever this is that disappears whenever I try to respond Odamex is Free and Open Source Software, and its specifications are freely available on our wiki at http://odamex.net/wiki. The launcher specifications are available at http://odamex.net/wiki/Launcher_Protocol. As an additional fyi, this protocol is scheduled to be updated in version 0.4.0, expected to be released "soon". If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email or contact me on the Odamex message boards.

... pays yearly to maintain that copyright ...

This is nonsense. Copyright doesn't work that way. Anyone who says something like this has been conned or is trying to assert something that isn't true.

Yeah. The fee in the US is just a one-time $45, if I am not mistaken. Besides, suing as threatened there would mean hiring costly legal services, and likely no gain other than making them stop using it. At least, no gain worth the time and effort.

Another reminder of what to do with a non-open project when leaving it behind: Put it under the GPL so that idiots can't rub their insincere egos on any remains.

myk said:

The fee in the US is just a one-time $45, if I am not mistaken.

If copyright for software works anything like it does for pictures, then there is no fee or application. Works are automatically copyrighted to the photographer or photography studio.

Well said, copyrights are automatic for any work where copyrights apply (which includes software), regardless of whether or not it is registered.

I should have mentioned explicitly that I was referring to registering a work with the Copyright Office...

You can't even pursue a claim in court if it isn't registered. You also can't claim statutory damages or attorney's fees if you didn't register it before the infringement.

It doesn't matter. DC4 is shit and the code is old. Just forget about it. I'm tired of putting up with all this crap. Don't think I'm being emo. I just don't want to deal with all this shit that I am. DC4 is offline and its site is down. Merry Christmas. You won't see me supporting the Doom community any longer. Have a good day. It's just a stupid game made about 15 years ago. You guys make it into something you can make money off of, which you can't. Get off your high horse already.

insertwackynamehere said:
Yeah copyrights are implied upon creation but try proving it without registering the copyright.

If you have evidence, such as development versions and release logs or backups it shouldn't be too hard... legal fees are a problem, though, unless you're rich or something. Though as Bloodshedder noted you'd have to register it to make the claim... once you registered, you'd be in the same position as someone who had registered it beforehand, as far as proof of copyright is concerned.

myk said:

If you have evidence, such as development versions and release logs or backups it shouldn't be too hard... legal fees are a problem, though, unless you're rich or something. Though as Bloodshedder noted you'd have to register it to make the claim... once you registered, you'd be in the same position as someone who had registered it beforehand, as far as proof of copyright is concerned.

From the sounds of all this, you might as well register, but why do people NOT register? it sounds like there is no benefit to not do it.

I don't know much about copyright law, but if you have a project/product that has not been registered, what protects you?

RTC_Marine said:
From the sounds of all this, you might as well register, but why do people NOT register? it sounds like there is no benefit to not do it.

It costs money. If you make 1000 smaller works which only give you a small amount of income, paying $45 for each may be rather taxing, and if you never have any copyright issues to deal with, also worthless.