Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Doom 4 in Motion, id Is Hiring

What Myk said :)

I'm not particulary looking forward to new Id games. Good engines, yes, but the games themselves tend to be pretty generic and not much suited for replay. I guess that's what happens when you "business-fy" gamemaking.

So the announcement of "doom 4" does not invoke any special sentiments here, just like an announcement of "quake 5" (or whatever number of nails they are on nowadays) wouldn't.

What Id needs, are game developers calling the shots instead of their programmers.

Mordeth said:

What Id needs, are game developers calling the shots instead of their programmers.

Who do you think Tim Willits is

leileilol said:
Who do you think Tim Willits is

A game designer who is NOT calling the shots. Try & read :)

[EDIT] To clarify: a (long) time ago there was this interview with Carmack about upcoming Doom3 features. I think I mentioned this one before on this forum; tried finding it again but failed. Anyway, here Carmack stated that he blocked the request for players to be able to interact and open deskdrawers (or something along the same line), since he thought this made for messy gameplay. Same for the number of control keys available to the player, which he thinks should be kept to a bare minimum. But simply said: ít's a game designer's job to determine what a game should have; and a programmer's to make it happen.

When a game designer asks for something and the programmer plainly refuses - not because it's unfeasible, but because he thinks the game ought not to have it - you have a problem.

Have they confirmed tech 5 will be used for Doom 4? Because 6 is in the works (Tech, not Doom).

Jim Rainer said:

Halo 2's engine is a proprietary engine.

What the hell definition of proprietary are you using that includes the Halo 2 engine and not Doom 3's?

Spare me your technicalities.

Arch-Valentine said:

Since this dude is on a shitmart computer, he has probably never experienced Doom at Ultra Quality (please correct me if I'm wrong) and obviously is comparing Halo 2 screenshots vs. Doom 3 screenshots. Pathetic.

Actually, I'm comparing based on actually playing the games. You shouldn't have to set graphics to ultra quality to get good model quality.

Jim Rainer said:
Spare me your technicalities.

That's a lame attitude. Now the next time such a conversation like this occurs you and whoever didn't know the proper use of these words will know better and any such clarifications (which were necessary to understand what you were attempting to say) won't be needed. Optimistically speaking, that is.

myk said:

I think DOOM 3 has a great engine, but its aesthetics don't move me much, especially the creatures.

Wrong forums; try Doom3world.com for that environment, perhaps. Personally I don't care for Halo, but this is a "classic" DOOM site mainly, with only some attention to DOOM 3, but the usual user here loves the DOOM games from the 90s for some reason, and may or may not like DOOM 3. Some like is as much as DOOM, others don't care about it, or and others just dislike it. Many have stated on these forums that they prefer Half-life 2 over DOOM 3, for example.

It's weird to dislike DOOM or DOOM II here, but DOOM 3... not necessarily.

True myk, i agree but I've been around these forums as long as anyone because i love the original doom.

The argument was between Doom3's graphic quality vs Halo2.
I was not defending Doom3 because i love it as a game.. actually it's quite the opposite. In my opinion, it was garbage compared to the original Doom; However, it did have great graphics which were undeniable at the time.

Mordeth said:

A game designer who is NOT calling the shots. Try & read :)

[EDIT] To clarify: a (long) time ago there was this interview with Carmack about upcoming Doom3 features. I think I mentioned this one before on this forum; tried finding it again but failed. Anyway, here Carmack stated that he blocked the request for players to be able to interact and open deskdrawers (or something along the same line), since he thought this made for messy gameplay. Same for the number of control keys available to the player, which he thinks should be kept to a bare minimum. But simply said: ít's a game designer's job to determine what a game should have; and a programmer's to make it happen.

When a game designer asks for something and the programmer plainly refuses - not because it's unfeasible, but because he thinks the game ought not to have it - you have a problem.

I get what you're saying. But I agree with Carmack; that would've been tedious game design. Next thing you know, you're expected to look underneath piles of paper inside those drawers to find the appropriate key card with the appropriate ID number on it.

Carmack's position is different than a mere programmer, also. He's not hired by a company to do programming, he's the co-owner of the company and with decades of experience with game design.

Obviously the direction wasn't the best, as many didn't enjoy the games as much as Id had thought.

The VPA (the hand-held computer) served the same purpose of investigating as looking through drawers for key cards would, and was a much better idea to boot.

Mordeth said:

I'm not particulary looking forward to new Id games. Good engines, yes, but the games themselves tend to be pretty generic and not much suited for replay. I guess that's what happens when you "business-fy" gamemaking.

So the announcement of "doom 4" does not invoke any special sentiments here, just like an announcement of "quake 5" (or whatever number of nails they are on nowadays) wouldn't.

I'll have to agree with this. I guess that may be the same reason I'm not so excited about their new offerings, either.

I think what Id really needs is Romero, or somebody like him. From the impressions I have of them, Carmack and Romero make a good team.

gemini09 said:

I think what Id really needs is Romero, or somebody like him. From the impressions I have of them, Carmack and Romero make a good team.

And American McGee to spice the team !

Mordeth said:

Exactly how I feel.

An idea. If its a retelling of Hell on Earth.. Day and Night sequence. During the day you can see, at night, vision is limited. This is where a weapon with a built it light would come in handy. That would be freaky as hell.
No night vision though, unless they limit your use of it, like a low battery life and you have to pick up cells for it (which would be rare).
I would like to also see more classic monsters that more closely resemble the originals.

Good, that is an example of pure gameplay, that would have to be among the features to be implemented ALL before the game story, just as I said in the other Doom 4 news thread.

But I think the id guys will just implement this as a novelty, static feature, among a couple of others, then embed everything through a rigid storyline.

Personally I enjoyed both Doom 3 and Quake 4...but I do like the whole dark future tech thing so the immersion worked for me. If it features cities and stuff along with more monsters it'll probably be cool, I don't expect it to take long to play through though sadly, production costs and all that. Dunno if this comp can take it (can handle Q4 with not much slowdown), but by the time this is out I'll probably need a new one anyway.

myk said:

If they make a large scale thing a multiplayer focus would be more epic.

Yeah, if they can get full servers without featuring any ZDCTF remix maps. Mind you if they make both humans and hellspawn playable like GvH it could get interesting.

gemini09 said:

The VPA (the hand-held computer) served the same purpose of investigating as looking through drawers for key cards would, and was a much better idea to boot.

Although with the latter they could've had Doomguy muttering "someone's gonna pay for making me find these frigging keycards" in a badass accent every time he does it.