Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KennyJC

Merging texture wad and level wad.

I was trying to think of the easiest way to do this... so basically I just loaded the texture wad with XWE and merged the level wad from there which was a straight forward procedure. This however meant that I had to delete all of the unused textures and I did manage to delete off all/most of them. Although I had to delete them manually since the 'List Unused Textures' was generating an access denied error which was puzzling since I double checked that the temp files folder and my entire doom directory was not read only.

However I was only deleting the 'patches' and 'floors'. There are still mentions in the 'textures' and 'patchnames' of the textures I deleted. Seems really untidy, so I figure I have not gone about it the right way?

How would you do it?

I just tried an alternative route of extracting all the textures that I had used from the texture wad and insert them into the level wad.

It seemed to work well enough despite some textures coming up missing (this because the original texture wad had the patch names different to what they were defined in 'textures') which was what I expected and isn't a big problem.

What I didn't expect was what happened with the floor textures.

They turned out looking like this:

What the hell? I've been at this for hours and am no closer to fixing this.

When you take the approach that you talked about in your first post, you need to make sure that you delete textures from the texture1 and texture2 lumps, and delete patches from the pnames lump, if you've removed the graphics that those entries refer to. This is mostly true for vanilla wads as vanilla will simply crash if the pnames and texture lumps don't make sense.

XWE's "list unused textures" function saves a list of unused textures to C:\. I imagine you have to give XWE some administrative access for this to work, if you're getting "access denied". I imagine there's also a way to change this directory in a config file somewhere.

It's easy to remove extra textures from the texture1 and texture2 lumps in XWE, but XWE doesn't seem to have any special function for removing extra pnames, unless you want to change massive amounts of numbers by hand. Slumped, on the other hand, does this beautifully. (Though you still have to find the unused patch names and remove them one at a time.)

OK, well I have it pretty much the way I want it, except
I'm having problems with one of the switches.

Basically the switch is 3 textures and the first two animate, then when you click the switch it goes to the last texture. The problem is that I forgot to add the last 2 switch textures until the end, so when it animates, the 1st texture is on it's own so it animates between the switch texture and a brick texture which is next in line.

Is there any way I can make it animate to that texture and the one at the bottom without starting the whole process over again? I have no energy to start it all over again!

When you click the switch it does go to the desired third switch texture so that's ok.

I guess it's not THAT important for the switch to animate, so if it's not possible, I will just make it so that it doesn't animate and be done with the whole sorry thing.

Creaphis said:

When you take the approach that you talked about in your first post, you need to make sure that you delete textures from the texture1 and texture2 lumps, and delete patches from the pnames lump, if you've removed the graphics that those entries refer to. This is mostly true for vanilla wads as vanilla will simply crash if the pnames and texture lumps don't make sense.

XWE's "list unused textures" function saves a list of unused textures to C:\. I imagine you have to give XWE some administrative access for this to work, if you're getting "access denied". I imagine there's also a way to change this directory in a config file somewhere.

It's easy to remove extra textures from the texture1 and texture2 lumps in XWE, but XWE doesn't seem to have any special function for removing extra pnames, unless you want to change massive amounts of numbers by hand. Slumped, on the other hand, does this beautifully. (Though you still have to find the unused patch names and remove them one at a time.)

Just for future reference, how do you delete things from the texture lumps? When I deleted the texture name it didn't actually delete the entry but replaced it with the first texture of the standard doom2 textures.

In XWE, when you're looking in a texture lump, and you have a specific texture selected, you can click on "Textures" in the menu bar (ie. next to "help") and click "Delete" to get rid of that one texture.

For animated textures it generally is necessary to have all of the textures that are part of the animation next to eachother in the list. But you don't have to go to much effort to set it up that way now. With the method above, delete the textures that are supposed to animate, and then add those textures again so that they in one place in the list.

Thanks.

At least after this headache I will know what I'm doing with the next map which uses the same texture set.