Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Rocket/Plasma/BFG Jumping demos

All of these demos were recorded on ZDaemon with normal gravity and no air control, but feel free to post demos using any port and settings.

RJSPACE - rjspace9.wad

MAP01 in 5:55 (all keys and weapons)

MASTER JUMPS - masterjumps5.wad & masterjumps6.wad

MAP01 in 1:25 (masterjumps5)
MAP02 in 0:29 (masterjumps5)
MAP03 in 0:53 (masterjumps5)
MAP04 in 0:12 (masterjumps5)
MAP05 in 1:31 (masterjumps5)
MAP06 in 3:58 (masterjumps6)

RJSLOTH - rjsloth3a.wad

MAP02 UV in 4:38
MAP02 UV in 6:47 (no shortcuts)

RJUMPQ - rjumpq.wad

MAP01 in 0:12
MAP02 in 0:07
MAP03 in 0:11
MAP04 in 0:20
MAP05 in 0:33
MAP06 in 0:53
MAP07 in 0:33
MAP08 in 0:41
MAP09 in 0:52

I don't know if we're counting demos on maps that weren't designed with rocket jumping in mind, but seeing this thread again inspired me to record a little demo on Memento Mori MAP15, reaching the secret exit well under the current Compet-N UV speed record by way of vertical rocket jumping. It requires GZDoom 1.0.26 to play.

mm15r030 - Memento Mori (MM.WAD) MAP15: Karmacoma by Florian Helmberger in 00:30 (UV speed)

Some more ZDaemon demos without air control:

RJSPACE - rjspace9f.wad

MAP01 speed in 4:10 (with teleport exploits)
MAP01 speed in 5:28 (without teleporter exploits)
MAP01 max in 22:49 (getting all points)

RJSUR - RjSUR4c3.wad

MAP01 in 1:05
MAP02 in 0:56
MAP03 in 0:54
MAP04 in 0:40

Earthquake's rjspace is the most fun rjump map I've ever played. There are many different ways to go, many different shortcuts with varying difficulties, and it includes the rocket launcher, plasma rifle, and bfg (it was even supposed to include the hitscan weapons as well, but their effects didn't work online). Also, he made 3 versions of the armour bonus to be used as "points" and scattered them around the map for players to find in order to add to their armour stat on the scoreboard: green armour bonus = 1 point, blue = 5 points, red = 10 points. If I counted correctly, in this version of the wad there are 87 armour bonuses in the map, totalling 203 points. After they've all been picked up, they all respawn (at 20:13 in the demo).

Some of the jumps and routes in the rjspace demos are credited to dewww and hokis. We've been stopping the timer at the moment we stand directly in front of the icon of sin hole at the exit.

In ZDaemon, you can display the timer by going to Options, then Display Options.

TimeOfDeath said:

Some more ZDaemon demos without air control:

I just get a "Cannot play non-ZDaemon demos. (They would go out of sync badly.)" message when trying to view these.

Hmmm, I'm guessing you're not loading the demos with zlauncher.exe? At the top you can go to Local, then View Demo, then choose the demo and wads.

Here are some demos from dewww and hokis on rjspace9f:

MAP01 speed in 4:45 by dewww (with teleporter exploits, no air control)
MAP01 coop max in 30:30 by dewww and hokis (with air control)

Also, I barely improved my MAP01 speed to 4:02 (with teleporter exploits, no air control)

TimeOfDeath said:

Hmmm, I'm guessing you're not loading the demos with zlauncher.exe? At the top you can go to Local, then View Demo, then choose the demo and wads.

Ah, that works, thanks. :) (And shame on ZDaemon for neither being able to play nor even recognise its own demos from the command line...)

The Green Herring wrote:When I get to the part where I do the trick, I jump
and do the rocket jump at the same time, just so I can get thrown higher into the
air. Not sure if this is required, but it helps!

I tested some vertical rocketlaucher shots with and without jump
I've the impression that the combination will let you jump more then 2 times higher then when using a vertical rocketlauncher shot.

Dewww posted some new rjspace9f demos on his rocket jump page:

MAP01 Coop Max in 20:18 by dewww and hokis (getting all armour points, with air control)
MAP01 superjump to BFG platform with rockets by dewww (around 7:40 in the demo. This is the first recording of this trick and I believe the first successful attempt, despite the few rumours a couple of people started that might state otherwise :)

Edit: ZDaemon demos

hi everybody, i've been lurking around for some time and i finally decided to join
since timeofdeath and hokis have been slacking lately, it's only me on the rj speedrunning scene on zdaemon now.. i'm not quite sure if it is an interesting topic for you guys, but i feel the need to share my lonely battle against the clock with someone :)

all of the following are zdaemon demos and i store them on my personal rj pages with a short description to each. i clear out obsolete and outrun demos, so some links previously posted by ToD are dead already.

first, my addition to rjspace9f, the best jumping wad there is:
map01 in 4:13 ... a bit slower than timeofdeath, but i use a faster route from the gold key, with some luck i'll beat him one day :)
map01 coop max in 17:56 ... by me and hokis, there's aircontrolling on some of the jumps

and some interesting things for masterjumps9y:
map02 in 0:25
map03 in 0:52
map07 in 1:55
map09 in 5:43 ... this one is still pretty raw and unpolished, but the map was never covered by ToD and his robotically precise aiming. so it's the founding record i guess :)

Damn... I hate you. just kidding :P Cool new demos! :D
Interesting route on rjspace after the gold key.
I couldn't download the mj map07 demo, but nice on getting under 2 mins. Damn that one jump to hell.
mj map02 is really getting low.

I have a demo for masterjumps9y map09 from Feb 22 in 5:02. The key part is ugly and I tried to improve but couldn't.
Also, I guess it's worth mentioning that a month or two ago I was playing on the Doomed Earth mj server and got :49 on map03 and 5:22 on map06, but wasn't recording... I hadn't rj'ed in a while and was playing casually, but ended up being a lucky s.o.b. on some crucial jumps. I'll try to get a new map03 demo, but screw map06.

Edit: Here's mj map03 in 0:48.

Edit2: Gamma improved his map04 time recently?

wow, that map03 is awesome! i can still imagine two seconds save in the first part, i occasionaly got to the big room around 0:19.. but that plasma is impressive work!
about map04.. i thought gamma had done it in 0:11 a long time ago, am i mistaken?
i was sure you had a better map09 demo and i haven't been running it properly myself yet, it's just a random .. what's the term, first exit? :) it seems so annoying. first, there's the tedious keys part, the same jump 12 times ffs! THEN there is the part that just tests my luck, those acid floors make no sense.. i heard it's easier with chasecam on, but i'm more confused by that than by the jump.
map07 demo reuploaded, it crashed on upload and i didn't noticed. damn that other jump to hell :)

I just watched your map07 demo and it's sick!
Gamma's best on map04 should be 0:13, assuming he hasn't improved recently.
Yeah, the first part of map09 is death. But I love that map because almost every jump is unique. The acid floors are hilarious heh. Morrison really thought up some cool stuff.

Your rjspace run scared me into playing it tonight and ended up with a 3:47. Still a couple mistakes, but I got lucky.

Edit: After the 3:47 on rjspace9f, I started working on doing a run with two bfg-to-plasma jumps at the exit shafts. On the 571st attempt I got 3:31.

what the hell?! how am i supposed to get even close to THAT?! :)) not only you breeze through the new shortcuts, you use plasma for both shafts? totally incredible, sick and i don't even find any more words :p

i had to give you some surprise in return for this, so i was doing some mj9y these days:
map09 in 4:56, it's still sort of lame, but it may press you into some serious running on this one.
map01 in 1:29, i was drilling this for 14 days. this was probably my 1500th attempt, give or take a billion. there's nothing much novel about the run, it's just pretty fast :) i lost 7-8 seconds just before the exit button, that's just too funny to spoil, enjoy the show.

ow, i knew this will happen, i just knew. great stuff. anyways, there's one more jump to make it faster. from the red key, it's possible to strafejump off the red tooth onto the wall over the pit and avoid falling down. it saves some seconds, but i have cca 50% success rate at that. and by the way, my faster movement is actually caused by doing the jumps in a very sloppy way, not spending too much time in the air :)

EDIT: map02 in 0:24 and also map04 in 0:12.

i'm through with 02, i hate it now. i evened your time on 04, but in one of the attempts, i luckilly hit the platform of the corner white wall just as i was flying by and got boosted into the ceiling in the general direction of the exit pillar. of course i panicked and screwed it, but i suspect it can be done in one lucky jump :)

Amazing demos but one question: I want to make demos but when I start my own zdeamon server I jump less far than sever online. So do you what the problem could be?

hmm.. i'm just guessing, but i think you're connecting to a far away server with high ping. therefore, when you shoot and jump, it's delayed a bit.. which is actually good :) for most of the 'normal' jumps, you should fire, then wait wait wait a bit, then shoot. this gets done 'automatically' for a high ping server, from my experience on american servers. on a local, you have MUCH more time to place your actions. try different delays between shooting and jumping, you'll be surprised about the different heights and lengths of your jumps. e.g., for a fast and long jump, it's better to aim a bit above your lowest possible y-axis range and make a shorter delay. for a high, slower and shorter jump on places with less room, you want to aim the lowest you can and wait more with pressing the jump key.
i hope i'm addressing the right problem :)

masterjumps9y map04 in 0:11. yeah, in one jump :) it's different than i wanted, though. the original plan was to continue off the white marble corner, not plain wall. it might provide faster air travel, but i really don't want to try after this one :)

doomknight> ping to your local server is irrelevant, i was talking about the online server where you jump farther

heh crazyness :P :)
Here's masterjumps9y map01 in 1:20, from a couple weeks ago. Some different jumps, but there's still a mistake. I kept trying for under 1:20 but I couldn't manage the last superjump without luck, so I gave up.

You don't know me, but your demos have made me determined to actually finish rjspace9 instead of struggling on the first jump for hours. I've spent hours practicing and just recently tried recording demos. On my first time all the way through, I got through in a little over 45 mins. On my 62nd try, I got it in 23:38. That was with a lot of mess ups and was really only my 3rd time all the way through the map with no cheats :P.
Rjspace9f in 23:38
Normal gravity, air control was at .003 just to make things a teenie bit easier.
Am I any good?

For some reason, when I play the demo on my computer, the direction the actor faces is sometimes way different than where I was really facing. Is this a normal glitch, and does everybody see it?

Now, it would be interesting to do a speedrun with no teleport exploits, all MONSTERS, keys, and weapons. And I mean NO exploits. I think the jump from the clear platforms by the red key to the big stairs to the blue key is a teleport exploit.

hi, welcome to the fold :) first of all, being able to complete rjspace means you're good, no matter the time. second, i could name only cca ten people with better time /or the ability to run a better time/ to exit.

i know all the public servers use some small amount of air control, but seriously, don't use it. i noticed it only a few times and it was all laziness on relatively easy jumps :) considering the time you lost on some other places, being able to save 10 seconds on the small window after blue key seems pointless.
the angle of view bug is quite common in zdaemon demos, it's caused by moving/looking around during teleportation. wait without moving a tiny bit after every teleport and you'll be ok. and when it happens, another port fixes the problem. it might turn up at spawning too, but i saw that only in one of ocelot's 1on1 demos, so i assume it doesn't happen to mortal players :)

now, i watched you breeze through the first parts of the map in a perfect way and then struggle at some later jumps, i might have a few hints for you:
the large void superjump: try aiming a bit higher and more 'into the wall' with the last rocket you shoot during the wallclimb. it helps a lot.
the stair islands leading to yellow key: you don't swing the mouse low enough with those straferun jumps. it leads to the rocket exploding still before you and it doesn't give you enough forward momentum.
yellow key jump: from the rear ledge, you need only 1 wallclimb rocket after the superjump. the second one sent you over the YK platform.. it's better to fall short than to have to climb the islands again.
bfg room: it's not really the hard part :) place yourself at the end of the red arrow and run backwards. shoot at the tip of the arrow, but DON'T JUMP. you'll get it reliable in 5 minutes of training.
one more hint: you're good with bfg, but your plasma jumps need some improvement. aim the mouse around much slower, in more fluent moves.
ok that would be enough i guess.

btw you rise an interesting point with that teleport exploit for the 'pure run'. the right way might be to use all the see-through islands and then jump in the direction of the blue platforms of hate and despair :) the question is if this is necessary, because i don't think it will make any time change, both routes are almost equal.
it all depends how strict you want to be with separating.. 'skill jumps' from exploits. in my bfg run, i defacto made a pure record run, because i didn't use any teleport exploits. on the other hand i flew around all three locked doors, which is another type of exploit. well, timeofdeath might have something to say about the matter, too :)

Thanks! I've gotten pretty much every jump on the first try at some point, but never all in the same run!
For the red to blue "exploit", if you could manage to land on one of the stairs, it would be a little more "skill jump" than exploit.

What I was thinking, was do a speed run and do every jump including those in the unused corner, while killing all "monsters" on the way, but that would be kinda pointless, if it could be done faster without having to go the long way.

Btw, I saw your bfg run, and all I have to say is ZOMFG! :P

What purpose do the commander keen "monsters" serve? Are they just easter eggs, for fun?

You're so helpful, dew :) and welcome Andy. Here are some new demos:

Nes's rjump_n1 in 0:54

RJSLOTH11 map10 speed in 11:31 & max in 31:20

Nes was my original rjump teacher. His rjump_n1 is from October 2006. It was a really tricky map and inspired me to make rjsloth map02 later in 2006. rjsloth11 has 3 maps, map02 (original rjsloth map), map06 (the new version of masterjumps map06 by Morrison and me), and map10 (the new version of map02). Map10 was changed a bit, some jumps aren't as hard, and you can get plasma early by pressing the 4 plasma switches. Also, plasma spawns at the start on all difficulties except ultra violence. Plasma's also available on a star-shaped platform but you need more than one player to solve the puzzle. There are also a couple shortcuts for a speedrun route and 5 zombiemen to kill for the max route. So hopefully the map is more playable (but it still can't compare to the godliness that is rjspace :). All jumps are possible with just rockets, but some are really annoying so I get plasma first. Some jumps are even better with rockets than plasma. So yeah. Also, on map02, it's possible to rjump to the exit without getting the red skull.

Wow, you actually had a teacher?! You're so lucky, I had to figure almost everything out on my own, until I found this thread.

(BTW, just a random question: Does anyone know the name of the song on rjspace9f?)

that stuff on rjsloth11 is completely mad. the map scares me :)
anyways, i'm still trying to get the bfg jump on rjspace in under a minute, so i can crush your pathetic speed :) i already got there once, but in that moment my mind switched from bored routine to nerve wreck and hand tremble. [url='http://grayswandir.wz.cz/rj/definition.of.FAIL.108.rar']watch the demo[/url], have a laugh.. the amount of failure at plasma and forth reminds a coen brothers movie :) you can even notice how my hands were shaking

Ouch, I'm surprised your computer is still alive after that. :)
But you'll get it eventually. :(
And when you do, I'll have to try out that jump to bfg and suffer what you've already been dealing with (if I'm even able to do that jump, that is...)