Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

esselfortium said:

That is why you do not do that :P
(edit: actually i don't think that'd cause any problems at all. it still looks right with idbeholdl, since the textures' brightness changes too, of course.)

I meant that it would stop working if you changed the sector brightness of the main slime sector without changing the brightness on the outer rim. I spoke in this especially roundabout way to prove to you that I've gained understanding of the trick, while leaving everyone else in the dark, as per proper procedure. Well, almost in the dark - ATTENTION EVERYONE, I'VE GIVEN YOU A HINT.

Aaand, before you all recover from the shock that Essel's given you, here's something even more impossible:

And a better view in GZDoom:

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/4251/3dgzfc7.png

This isn't even part of a level I'm making. I just put this together in the hopes of stumping somebody, since I want all the fun that Essel is having.

Flat bleeding again + another self-ref sector, rendering the seemingly free area below impossible to pass.

Wow. That's a really cool trick, Creaphis. I'm impressed! Now why aren't you mapping for KDiKDiZD? :P

Also, printz, I'm not sure if you could have possibly been farther off with that guess.

Before bashing everything I say, because it's not the exact guess, may I ask if it's a sunken middle texture while the floor is normal?

esselfortium said:

Now why aren't you mapping for KDiKDiZD? :P

Because I'm extremely unreliable. By staying out of it I'm basically doing you a favour.

Creaphis said:

Because I'm extremely unreliable. By staying out of it I'm basically doing you a favour.

Aww, you're no fun. :(

And printz, yes, that's most of it. The rest is just a trick involving the texture itself :P

@Kyka: those last three screenshots look good. :) The first one is kinda wierd, and the second one definitely looks Star Warsey.

pretty neat shots kyka, i love the use of stock textures.

also, creaphis, you have me stumped. that is a pretty neat trick there.

Thanks for the feedback guys... I really appreciate it.

Creaphis and Essel... You guys have done amazing stuff... I have come up with a few neat tricks myself recently, but not like that.

How on earth did you guys pull stuff like that...??

RjY said:

If the player tries to run underneath the hanging body in this screenshot, it's going to block his path, assuming Doom or Boom game behaviour. May I suggest switching it for one of the non-blocking types?

Thanks for telling me this! I do all my testing with ZDoom which causes me to miss things like that.

Although this map is designed with ACS and other Hexen features, so I don't know if other source ports will recognize that kind of format.

Printz already guessed what my trick is, though I understand that it's still hard to figure out how bleeding flats can be turned into a 3d-floor effect. Well, you can all at least rest assured that this trick is by no means perfect - if you're too close to the effect, or looking at it from the wrong side, it won't work. If I was going to use this "observation box" in a level I'd have to fiddle with it some more yet so that it would look right from a wider range of angles, because as it is, when the revenant goes too far back in his box, his feet show through the floor.

StupidBunny said:

Thanks for telling me this! I do all my testing with ZDoom which causes me to miss things like that.

Although this map is designed with ACS and other Hexen features, so I don't know if other source ports will recognize that kind of format.

In that case, your map will need to be played on ZDoom-based ports, so you can leave that hanging decoration as-is.

esselfortium said:
AdBlock is blocking them because of /ads/ in the url :(

Well, they are ads, after all :p

myk said:

Well, they are ads, after all :p

well, actually "testimonials" but whatever. Ashun Doom!

esselfortium said:

AdBlock is blocking them because of /ads/ in the url :(

Privoxy does the same on my PC <temporarily disabled so I can see what the fuss is about> heh.