Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agent_Ash

Beautiful Doom -- 4.7 released!

FINAL version 4.7 can be downloaded here:
http://ashigaru-rostov.narod.ru/mods/Bdoom47.zip (indirect link)

THE FILE NAME HAS BEEN CHANGED
to Bdoom47.wad (previous versions were named Dbeaut**.wad with ** standing for version number)

Previous version 4.6 can be downloaded here:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15839

I removed the full list of changes that was present in this post. You can read it in any txt that is included in any BD archive.

Version 4.7 improvements:
- Gibs and blood are improved, gibs behaviour is different, blood doesn't disappear,
- fixed blood coloring, now looks much better,
- Spider Mastermind now CAN hit you with sv_smartaim 3 (different code for her attack),
- improved the script that shows the warning on the screen when smartaim is < 3,
- Plasmagun sprites fixed (correct hand),
- 'secret found' sound changed to the one from Painkiller,
- added much better weapon smoke effects,
- added missing decals for enemy projectiles,
- fixed incorrect decals for Arahcnotron's plasmaballs,
- reduced BFGBall trail (it obscured the view too much),
- fixed Burning Barrel sprites.

And check out new Spider's and Cyber's deaths! ;D

Now this mod seems like something that I'm finally satisfied with.

I recommend latest GZDoom. Should work fine starting with GZDoom 1.1.04, but I HIGHLY recommend GZDoom 1.3.17 or 1.2.01 -- both are OK, thought 1.2.01 may have some bugs (as 4.7 went through certain adaptations to become compatible and not buggy in GZ 1.3.17).

You will need to use SV_SMARTAIM 3 (Smartaim - 'Only Monsters') in order to autoaim only at monsters. This way you won't be shooting at shootable decorations or gibs while monsters are present. Don't worry, there's a script in this mod that'll continuously show a message that will remind you about it.

To see full blood effects, try switching blood type to Sprites or Sprites and Particles. That's not necessary though.

This mod improves Doom as much as... as I could wish it. You might not like it, perhaps our views about enhancing Doom are different.

At first: all the objects are interactive. You can shoot the living impaled body, you can break the floor lamp, you can shoot off skull from the red column, you can shoot off heads from the stick with impaled heads, etc., etc., etc. Some objects, which are least interactive, are changed to be obstacles for bulelts, as well as projectiles, that means that you can hide behind brown tree, etc. The only objects not remade are that pile of skulls and candles and that little grey tree.

Many objects are visually enhanced. Lamps have lens flare, the torches, candles, candelabras have new fire effects, floating eye above the candle looks cooler, as well as floating skull rock. Also some powerups float in mid-air.

There are five special functions which let you change the presense of some effects anytime in the game:

"Blood toggle" (default T): toggles particle blood on and off, helps a lot when you're having slowdowns. Also removes all the blood drops present in the level.
"Advanced gibbing toggle" (default Y): if you don't like new gibbing, or your CPU is too slow, you can turn it off and get usual sprite gibbing animation back, as well as usual bosses' deaths. Also removes all the gibs present in the level.
"Weapon effects and debris toggle" (default U): lets you toggle on and off smoketrails for fireballs and rockets, ricochet flares, smoke effects and emtpy casins and explosive barrel or glass pieces. Also removes all the debris and empty casings present in the level.
"Enhanced fire effects toggle" (default I): this function turns on/off special animated halos around light sources. It affects torches, candles and similar light sources and also turns Arch-Vile's and Lost Souls' fire effects from particle ones to sprite ones and back.
"Global Timer Toggle" (default O): toggles a timer in the top right corner of the screen. Upper red numbers show total playtime, lower blue numbers show level playtime.

There're dynamic lights included. Also there're new 'warp' effects for liquid textures. In addition there're 'splashes' for any floor (thanks to Enjay) and footstep sounds, also unqiue for every floor texture (thanks to Enjay). Player is higher, so you're now as low, as you're in doom (even lower than any zombie, it's humiliating).

There's one change among powerups. I'm sick and tired of Doom so-called Invisibility, which mostly does only bad, as enemies start firing projectiles in unexpected directions. So, Partial Invisibility is replaced by Complete Invisibility. When you pick it up, you get completely invisible for 30 seconds, but the usage of any weapon reveals your for about 2 seconds, so this powerup is generally useless in combat but great in running away.

Medikits, stimpacks and powerups have unique pickup sounds, as well as ammo and most other items.

There's some fun gore added. Enemies spurt blood when hit or fall dead, the ones which can be gibbed are torn into many gibs (heads, hands and heads are unique for every zombie and imp), which also bleed. Blood vanishes in order to save performance, but gibs stay and they react on being shot again, so, especially when using rocket launcher or BFG, you can make gibs fly around again and again. You MUST use sv_smartaim 3 to play this mod with autoaim.
Many enemies have additional death animation. Mostly for these death animation there's more blood.
If you're annoyed by blood dripping sounds, comment the line
gibs/blooddrop bloddrop
in SNDINFO lump.

Enemies which use firearms drop empty casings, have new attack sounds (the same as new sounds for your weapons).

As for weapons, they are also enhanced. They mostly look like original ones, but animation is much smoother (which I for some reason haven't seen in other enhancing mods). I changed most of the sounds and added some (for example weapon selecting sounds), many of them are from Doom 3, not all though. There're additional effects, like empty casings, smoke on the end of the barrel.
Also I changed doomguy's gloves to black. Sorry, never liked original brown ones.
There are some little changes in weapon physics. As follows:

1. Fist: now right-handed and not as useless as the original one; it's slightly faster and it's silent.
1. Chainsaw: now black and cool, is slightly more comfortable to use: it doesn't have an effect when you're drawn to the enemy which you're sawing (you know this effect in original Doom).
2. Pistol: usual, sprite slightly changed (side-viewed, like in Neodoom), casings, smooth animation and other stuff is present.
3. Shotgun: usual, except for effects, sounds and animation.
3. Supershotgun: has an alternative attack, which lets you fire from one barrel, then from the other; if you fire from one barrel and then press primary attack button, you reload one round and get ready to use dual shot; single shot has the same spread as dual and is more powerful than usual shotgun shot; sprite changes to indiacate the amount of rounds in barrels.
4: Chaingun: has two attacks: primary is absolutely usual, secondary is very fast and with large spread, but needs to spin at first and cool after.
5. Rocket Launcher: usual, except for effects, sounds and animation.
6. Plasmagun: almost usual, though some changes with sprites (I never liked the original one, it reminds me an accordion). Plasmaballs are now round and leave trails behind which looks cool.
7. BFG9000: BFGball is slightly improved and also leaves trails, like plasma, there are some effects.

Except for secondary attacks of SSG and Chaingun, weapons physics is absolutely original. Although there's also vertical spread for bullets, which is obviously because the mod is made for free-look.

There are other things, like improved and sometimes changed sprites and effects for monsters' projectiles, various other objects. Well, virtually everything's been remade.

Wow, nice work! I really love the new weapons sounds, especially the shotgun and the chainsaw when it's up against a wall.

The only oddity that I found (in the 15 minutes I've spent so far playing with it), is that blood decals show up in water. Other than that, again, nice work!

Pretty good. A couple nitpicky criticisms though.

1) The splashes are pretty extreme and happen at funny looking places. You might want to work on the water a little bit.
2) The SSG sometimes makes the normal firing sound when you're firing it repeatedly.

Other than that, I like it, especially the blue blood for the cacos, that's awesome.

Edit: Oh and I don't like the Doom64 Lost Souls, but, meh.

Shaikoten said:

Edit: Oh and I don't like the Doom64 Lost Souls, but, meh.

They aren't Doom 64 Souls, they're just recolored, and with their flames as particles rather than part of their sprites. They look kind of odd, though. They're clean white, and it makes them look metal. They should be a little yellowish so they actually look like bone.

Also, the speed of the Marine's hands during the super shotgun's reload is ridiculous. Why not slow it down, and load both shells at once, like the original?

It's no Doom Enhanced.
Black gloves ew, horrible pistol kickback (like a squirt gun feeling), chaingun aiming at the ceiling it seems, half-life sounds, and that awful Descent explosion :(
The gunshot ricochet sparks are very awful as they feel like little glowing dirt specks than sparks, having unrealistically great horizontal velocity
it's more like COUNTERDOOM than Beautiful Doom
oh and it works fine in zdoom
but it won't go in my skins/ folder that's for sure.

Ah, not bad. I do wonder what's the point of the double pistol since it's rate of fire is the same as the single pistol. Isn't the point of having two pistols to shoot twice as fast? hmm... =/

Also, the smoke on the Lost Souls seems to be in front of the demons instead of behind or on top of them... prehaps it should be repositioned? And they explode into red flames when they die, which is strange considering they're not on fire in this mod.

The Spiderdemon exploding was funny, though I doubt something that big could be made to explode into a dozen pieces believably. I wonder if Cybs explode too...

Neways, this is looking pretty nice so far. It seems there are just a few more things that need to be thought about for this mod. Keep up the good work. =)

I actually like this so far. The splashes are kinda funky, and so are the rocket explosions, but everything else is... Enjoyable

Death-Destiny said:

I wonder if Cybs explode too...

They sure do.

This is a good start. One tip I'll give you just quickly is this: Add this codepointer to the frames where your gibs and gore come to rest:

A_ChangeFlag(NOBLOCKMAP, 0)
This way, such objects will look correct on elevators without causing framerate issues with crushers like just having NOBLOCKMAP always off would.

Trasher][, do you mean, that turning off NOBLOCKMAP will make objects move with platform normally? If so, I'll surely do that.

I remade Lost Souls to make them have normal fire, separate from them. Well, in my version it shows behind them. Perhaps I should check it again. It was 3 a.m. when I finished, I could miss something.

Mik57, what's the problem with rocket explosions? I like it. Except for some sound bugs, I don't get why they appear.

Death-Destiny, Dual Pistols, SSG and Chaingun have secndary attacks. As for pistols, their secondary attack is rapid two-handed fire.

leileilol, I don't have half-life sounds.
Is Descent explosion bad? You're free to give me other sprites, I don't mind changing them.
I see you've seen a lot of ricocheting bullets to talk about its realizm. However, I made ricochet in PK style.
It does work with my skins/ folder.

RiffRaff1138, I'll make translation for Lost Souls. As for reloading SSG, it's really not easy to load two rounds in both barrels at once. Besides this way it reloaded in great "Advanced Weapons" mod, so I decided to make it like this. If I didn't have to keep the same quite fast firing speed, I'd have made this animation less ridiculous by slowing it.

Shaikoten, splashes appear because of many objects, ricochet, casings... I don't think they appear where they shouldn't.
Bug with SSG sound? I found one with rocket explosion sound, but didn't notice one with SSG. Perhaps I don't have it.

alien8, yeah, I'm not sure I know how to make blood vanish in water. However, the blood vanishes itself after some time.

Reuploaded the file. Now gibs and empty casings don't stay in mid-air when floor lowers under them. Also they now slowly fade out and vanish (not that I like it, but one should be merciful to one's CPU), however blood decals stay on walls.

Also I recolored Lost Souls, so they look more like the original ones. And fixed a number of objects, so now they really all react.

By the way, you all comment so much the weapon changings, but this is actually NOT the main point of the mod. The main point is intercation. Have you tried shooting various objects? They all react. I especially like the reaction of twitching and impaled bodies, or heads on a pole. This all took a lot of time to do.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

Trasher][, do you mean, that turning off NOBLOCKMAP will make objects move with platform normally? If so, I'll surely do that.

Yeah, but in my mod I had a problem where if I just had the flag turned off at spawn I'd suffer massive slowdown issues if the objects spawned inside a solid space, like the crusher on MAP06. However, I'm not sure if your gibs are bouncing objects (DOOMBOUNCE etc.) or not, so you might not have this problem.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

alien8, yeah, I'm not sure I know how to make blood vanish in water. However, the blood vanishes itself after some time.

I'd use +EXPLODEONWATER, or if that doesn't work in the case of deep, swimmable water, use

A_JumpIf(waterlevel > 1, "StateName")
to jump to a state that removes the object.

I like what I'm seeing so far, the only thing I think that could make it better is to use WildWeasel's kickback script.

Trasher][, yeah, gibs are bouncing. Blood isn't. I simply added -NOBLOCKMAP to gibs in the latest version and I wonder whether perfomance rises if I make the flag turn off like you said, just at the death animation. But how can a solid object spawn in a solid space? What's the problem with the crusher?

Patrick Pineda, what's WildWeasel's kickback script? Interested.

Still see no comments about interaction. Tried to summon LiveStick or TechLamp or HeadsOnAStick or something?

TawmDee, perhaps. Wonder what you could advise, 'cause I think I'm outta ideas for now.

I'm thinking about removing Dual Pistols from mod. It's somehow... not classic, and i don't really like them myself. What would you say?

I say keep them, they don't really hamper the wad.
I've been playing through some of the levels on the Ten Community Project and I'm suffering some massive slowdown in closed areas when fighting enemies.

I like what you did with the debris animations. Especially the head-on-a-stick.

Jekyll, I just checked and the bug I was talking about doesn't seem to affect how you did gibs.

TawmDee, that's because enemies bleed not only when dying, but when getting hit as well. That's nice, but now I'm really thinking about removing this feature...

New update. Fixed some bugs with interaction (mostly with torches and hanging torsos).

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

As for pistols, their secondary attack is rapid two-handed fire.

Yes, I can see that. That's not what I meant. I was just wondering why there is an option to make it shoot the same speed as the single pistol. If you're using Dual Pistols instead of just one, I doubt the player would ever elect to shoot half-speed. I'd have just made the dual pistol's primary attack the rapid-fire and not give it an alt-fire, but I guess that's just my personal preference, though.

Hi Payne, I really like what you've done here. Though if I may just say that I really liked the blood staying on the ground (as zdoom's does on the walls) but now it kinda seems like the floors are made of sponge...

Either way I still enjoy seeing what Doom might have been like if it were made in the Build engine around the time of Duke3D. Sweet.

HackNeyed, I like blood staying as well. But we can't make in ZDoom Build's real pools of blood, which you can step in and leave foorprints, like in Duke3d. Besides, when I attack a bunch of Pinkys with a chainsaw, blood spurting out of them kills my cpu.

Death-Destiny, well, the answer is quite simple: with non-rapid fire you fire with about twice less spread, in other words, you fire in the way you fire with one pistol. So after getting dual pistols you'll never need to use one pistol again. That's the point.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

HackNeyed, I like blood staying as well. But we can't make in ZDoom Build's real pools of blood, which you can step in and leave foorprints, like in Duke3d

I know nothing about ASC, but I think you can

It wouldn't look nearly as good as in DN3D - Zdoom/GZdoom doesn't support floor decals, so you'd have to fake it using a MD2/MD3, which doesn't work in ZDoom, and aaah!

Heh. IT is kind of fun to shoot the crap out of decoration objects. not DECORATE, decorations.

Oh God, the stacked impaled heads. I thought the single impaled head was great, but I just now tried shooting a stack. That is just fantastic. Would it be possible to make the head gibs bounce around when you shoot them, so that after you knock them off the stake, you can continue to knock them around?

RiffRaff1138 said:

Would it be possible to make the head gibs bounce around when you shoot them, so that after you knock them off the stake, you can continue to knock them around?

BTW, that's an idea! I remember this kind of fun in Blood... however, I have to check it. I'm not sure. The thing is that when an actor enters its Death state (with gibs it is the moment when they stop moving and lay still on the floor) it becomes non-interactive and can't be shoot. Though perhaps it can be changed. I'll try. If it works all right, I'll make all the gibs not fade out but stay, and they'll bounce off explosions, etc. All right, I'm leaving to try it...

After 10 minutes of checking:

Yes, it IS possible! All right, I'm going to remake the gibs...

Well, here you are. New update. Gibs don't vanish, and you can shoot them again and again. BTW, you don't have to shoot them exactly, you can use rockets or even BFG. Blood of course still vanishes, and I'm not going to change this fact, otherwise I'd have to say goodbye to normal framerate.