Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nemark

Stuck in Eternal Doom.

Oh jeez, yeah. That map. I remember having to look in an editor, and even then I couldn't figure it out. I probably had to idclip my way past it. And this is coming from a guy who figured out map 31 without trouble.

Zdoom will not work as intended there. ZDoom is not fully compatible with Boom. I suggest using either prboom+ or Risen3D to play Eternal Doom, especially map 28.

I just clipped through to finish the map. I'm pretty sure I got the full feel of the map so cheating didn't take away from it.

Thankfully, I'm now almost done with Eternal Doom and I'll be able to move onto another megawad. I just don't get what people see in this megawad. The gameplay is annoying and time consuming and it even looks pretty bad. I guess it was good for it's time, but I've played other wads of the time that are much more satisfying.

I remember that part, as well as a ledge on map 3 always were buggy with zdoom. That switch in map 28 drove me crazy, and I thought I had missed something and as a result, I went through every room in the level over and over again to see if I missed something! Nonetheless, it was visually better than when I first played it with vanilla doom.

It seems forever since I played that wad, (which I'd rank as my favorite add-on), and it's been a year since the long awaited Eternal Doom 4 demo came out too.

I hope we find out more info on the status of the latter down the road to! :D

Nemark said:

I just clipped through to finish the map. I'm pretty sure I got the full feel of the map so cheating didn't take away from it.

Thankfully, I'm now almost done with Eternal Doom and I'll be able to move onto another megawad. I just don't get what people see in this megawad. The gameplay is annoying and time consuming and it even looks pretty bad. I guess it was good for it's time, but I've played other wads of the time that are much more satisfying.

I would like to see how you will play map30 :) It's very hard to find all the keys there. You will kill 95% monsters for the first hour, but you will search for the exit for next four hours.

Sounds fun. I'm sure I'll be able to do it (unless ZDoom thinks otherwise) but I'll probably have a grimace on my face the entire time.

Oh! So it doesn't work in (G)ZDoom! Well, that would have also been my problem then. Good to know.

Nemark said:

Heh, you're just like me - grinding through levels to get them done, as if playing a game you're not really enjoying was anything other than a waste of time. I try not to fall into that silly pattern anymore.

If I had known what all the Eternal Doom maps were like ahead of time, there are some I would still play, but playing through all the less-than-stellar maps is just unnecessary.

Map30 is worth seeing, but no matter how thoroughly you explore it you'll miss something crucial. When you're stuck, instead of searching and agonizing, just play a demo of the level until you see something you didn't know about, then continue.

hawkwind said:

ZDoom is not fully compatible with Boom

Eternal isn't Boom wad :)

If Nemark want to play it with prboom-plus:
pr(gl)boom-plus -file eternal.wad -complevel 2

I can't get bored to play map22 again and again.

IMO map17 and 18 are the weakest from the set, being short filler type of levels.

map 30 (Excalibur) is both the most detailed, and the hardest (and that's an understatement!). It took me several days to find out how to complete this wad due to hidden switches, that impossible key puzzle in the southwest of the map, and lots of backtracking, but I liked how it wasn't just a cliche "small romero head boss room" level(although there is one at the very end).

I can only imagine how the team will top this level 30 for the fourth installment, cause if that wad eventually does go to 30+ levels and the final level is more mazelike, and architecturally stunning, then I'll be amazed and very impressed!

I am sick and tired of you whining and complaining about ZDoom compatiblity!

If you find something that doesn't work, please F*CKING report it HERE!!!

How are those bugs supposed to be fixed if you keep them secret? But well, then some people got less to complain. Great!

ZDoom has these problems because of your attitude, not because it's inherently bad.

Haha, ZDoom has bugs, take that Graf Zahl! Your skill is not enough!

Man, way to lose your temper...

• He isn't really keeping it secret if he posts about it in a place you (a dev) post on almost every day.
  • One doesn't necessarily know if it's a bug or just that a (compatibility) setting is required.
Actually, if ZDoom aims to be a widely compatible engine, it would benefit from a (ZDoom) community-maintained list of compatibility requiring WADs on its wiki, or even as a document somewhere in ZDoom's package itself. Even with known issues, people may be unaware of what to apply.

This doesn't just concern ZDoom, though, as you can have similar problems in PrBoom or the like if the correct compatibility level or settings aren't used, but it's much easier to just apply compatibility level 2 or 3 for vanilla levels. A "vanilla" setting in ZDoom applying all the compatibilities that may produce critical bugs would help ZDoom in this respect.

myk said:

Haha, ZDoom has bugs, take that Graf Zahl! Your skill is not enough!

Man, way to lose your temper...

:D

What really pisses me off is that people don't say, 'look, a bug' with a recommendation to report it but just flat out say 'ZDoom can't do it - use another engine.' That's simply not the right way to do it. Much of these problems predate my involvement in ZDoom. I take bugs that break vanilla maps very seriously and would like to know about them without having to actively look for threads like this one.

myk said:

• One doesn't necessarily know if it's a bug or just that a (compatibility) setting is required.[/list]

• Sadly not. I already tried that.

Actually, if ZDoom aims to be a widely compatible engine, it would benefit from a (ZDoom) community-maintained list of compatibility requiring WADs on its wiki, or even as a document somewhere in ZDoom's package itself. Even with known issues, people may be unaware of what to apply.

Agreed.

This doesn't just concern ZDoom, though, as you can have similar problems in PrBoom or the like if the correct compatibility level or settings aren't used, but it's much easier to just apply compatibility level 2 or 3 for vanilla levels. A "vanilla" setting in ZDoom applying all the compatibilities that may produce critical bugs would help ZDoom in this respect.

I was thinking about something like that, too. But admittedly it's not high on my list of priorities. At the moment I don't even have enough time for ZDoom.

Quick note: MAP28 is now playable but it requires setting a compatibility option:

"Self ref. sectors don't block shots"

In this case with this option off the shootable line was blocked by another one and with the option on its action didn't get triggered. The second scenario was obviously a bug but the first one can't be unconditionally reactivated because some maps require the altered default behavior. Nevertheless, this is one of the options which I recommend to always switch on unless some map causes problems.

EE had this same problem until recently, although in our case it was caused by modifications to the clipping code that allow you to shoot floors and ceilings. I had to add a comp var for that ;)

Finally done. That last map was actually kinda fun. The switches were enabled by the user actually taking action to them, not stumbling over them like Map 28. That's what was mainly bothering me with that map, but now onto Hell Revealed.

I don't know if this helps (or if you even care anymore!), but shooting the glass with the plasma gun worked for me.

Informme said:

I don't know if this helps (or if you even care anymore!), but shooting the glass with the plasma gun worked for me.

If you had looked at the last post in this thread before giving it a three-year bump, you'd have seen that the OP had successfully finished this megawad already.

Gez said:

If you had looked at the last post in this thread before giving it a three-year bump, you'd have seen that the OP had successfully finished this megawad already.

I joined this site yesterday with the sole purpose of making that comment. The whole notion of "bumping" was new to me and I actually had to look it up just now. I'm not interested in whatever forum politics goes on here; I just saw a question from someone stuck on the level I'm currently stuck on. And regardless of whether the original poster has since gotten past it, my post was for anyone else that might be there now. If you have an issue with 3-year old threads resurfacing, you might suggest to the administrators that they be closed to new comments. It's strange to me that someone would respond to a positive/constructive post just to say how pointless it was. Perhaps in future you will glance your eye over new posts and simply close them if they're not relevant to you personally, without comment. I actually appreciated the response I got from the member Evolution. He didn't need to make it, but it was nice to get and it didn't make me feel like a piece of shit when I was trying to be helpful.

Informme said:

<Snippet>

Congratulations, you've just made an ass of yourself.

Perhaps in future you will glance your eye over new posts and simply close them if they're not relevant to you personally, without comment.

See, then he wouldn't be able to get his jollies by playing backseat moderator and being a general dickwad; and if he just reported it to a mod like a good little snitch, he wouldn't get the answers he's trying to provoke.

You get guys like these on every forum, as well as sycophants riding their tail. Worst thing you can do is give them attention, it's what they want. Just ignore and move on, vocal minorities are just that - likely, most normal people feel the exact same way you do.

Gez said:

Not to mention that the problem this was about has been resolved shortly after this thread was posted - 3 years and 2 months ago!

Current ZDoom will play that map just fine.