Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
perkristian

Smoother weapon sprite animations - Released!

I can live with it too, as it's a minor sacrifice for such a great project.

EDIT: Something that keeps bothering me though (I don't suggest you improve upon this yourself, it's just a quirk of mine) is that, especially with the smoother animations, is how the regular shotgun "transforms" in shape and color, from it's ready/shooting frames, to it's cocking frame. It's clear that they redrew the the shotgun from scratch for the ready frames, and used pictures of the toy shotgun for the other frames. I'm debating whether it would be best to make a frame in between that kinda morphs them together (which I imagine would come out pretty bad no matter how good you are), Replace the ready shotgun frames with the one from Doom Alpha, or just put up with the weird look.

I love the plasma gun though. It looks less like a retarded delay and more like the desired recoil motion it was supposed to have.

Some Doom weapons have a little weirdness to them, the shotgun is such a classic and is probably best left untouched. The chaingun seems to have big notches cut into the barrels, wonder why?

Hopefully I'll release the new animations soon. I am sort of between projects as I'm also restoring an old chainsaw at the moment :-D

Is it a McCulloch Eager Beaver? :)

If you mean the dark area visible on the left barrel, I think that's probably intended to be shadowing or some dark detailing. I guess the purpose would be to to break up the color so it's just not a mass of silver.

Alot of Doom sprites are strange when you look at them too closely, especially that shotgun.

Super Jamie said:

Is it a McCulloch Eager Beaver? :)

It's a Homelite XL Automatic - not related to Doom in any way, just looks cool and reminds me of the chainsaw Peter Jackson used in Bad Taste.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here is the smoother weapon sprite animations for Doomsday available for download:

pk_weapons.wad - place this in: Doomsday\Data\jDoom\Auto
pk_weapons.ded - place this in: Doomsday\Defs\jDoom\Auto

Chainsaw, Rocket launcher and BFG is not changed yet, but I've included new idle frames for the chainsaw.

If you want the pistol/chaingun sound I used in the YouTube videos, use this version of my sound pack.

Enjoy!

Thank you so much! The pistol and shotguns look great :)

I get a crash when I try to fire the chaingun or plasma rifle, with R_GetSpriteInfo: invalid sprite number -1. at the commandline.

Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6.2 under Linux. I have the files under /usr/local/share/deng and the paths above. Does this happen to anyone under Windows?

Very very nice. I have a problem though, but has to do with the music. I can't hear game music no matter what I do.

Lovely! I anxiously await the Dehacked version of this. Whoever is the one stepping up to the plate, my patience is on you.

Gonna wait for the chainsaw, rocket launcher, and BFG before I start. Need to know how many frames those are going to take.

EarthQuake said:

Gonna wait for the chainsaw, rocket launcher, and BFG before I start. Need to know how many frames those are going to take.

As I will wait too..the BFG doesn't have many movement frames tho.

I will also wait till someone does some work so it works in ZDoom ports.

Mr. Chris said:

As I will wait too..the BFG doesn't have many movement frames tho.

I will also wait till someone does some work so it works in ZDoom ports.

I imagine the Muzzle flash is what will have frames added to it. Maybe the gun will quake a little right before it fires, and have a strong recoil after it fires.

Honestly, I can't imagine what the chainsaw is going to get. I think the idle frames can just be faster, and the bobbing won't look so jagged. Everything else seems fine for it.

Rocket launcher would be nothing more but added recoil.

I think the only things that would be of much benefit to have more frames of would be the BFG muzzle flash, and perhaps the chainsaw to make the idling and attacking more fluid. The rest of the movement (the shaking, recoil, etc) can just be done by moving around the original sprites a bit when inserted into the wad.

I made a wad some time ago that just gave all the original hitscan weapons a bit of "recoil" with duplicate frames adjusted at different positions, and the results were nothing short of amazing. You can go a long way with this simple method. :)

Also, something that would be nice is if the muzzle flash sprites only covered pixels where the muzzle flash changes the appearance of the underlying sprite. For example, the chaingun as compared to say the super shotgun/plasma rifle. When you're in a dark room and you fire, you can really tell the difference here and see the hard lines where the muzzle flash overlaps the original sprite. I think a small bit of work in this area would really make the muzzle flashes look good.

EarthQuake said:

and perhaps the chainsaw to make the idling and attacking more fluid.

How about a swinging motion between idle and attacking? Haha it would look cool if he lifted the chainsaw above his head and swung it downwards, texas chainsaw massacre style.

I've started on the BFG and have made something like JohnnyRancid (you've read my mind) said; when triggered the lights flashes and the gun shakes before it fires. This required a lot of frames, more than the SSG actually.
The Rocket launcher should be fairly simple, just a smoother recoil.

The chainsaw is a problem as the ideal thing to do, is to make a smoother "lower down to sawing position" sequence - keep sawing animation looped while pressing attack key - than raise up the saw when attack key is released. Don't think this is possible to do in Doomsday, so the saw will stay as it is. However, I’ve thought of making it being pull started when chosen.

EarthQuake:
I’ve made a better transition between the gun and muzzleflash on the chaingun; take a look at the second YouTube video (or inside the WAD). It wasn’t finished in the first video.

Haven’t progressed that much on the sprites lately, got a Doom track finished and working on another...

perkristian said:

Don't think this is possible to do in Doomsday, so the saw will stay as it is. However, I’ve thought of making it being pull started when chosen.

I didn't think so. How would the chainsaw look if the idle motion just played the two frames really really fast? Since the two frames are relatively the same, I imagine it would look pretty good, or would it look like the chainsaw is violently shaking out of control?

Tried to speed up the chainsaw idle frames to play twice as fast and that looked fairly good, but the sound was also played twice as fast and that's not good. I also tried to add more frames to both the idle and start up frames but that only caused strange behaviors in the game.

Nice work perkristian ! I'd just like to add that this mod also works in Risen3D. (with weapon models disabled) :)

Now if something could be done about that ... wooohooo !

Do you plan on working on this anymore than you have? I'd like a dehacked version of this at some point if anyone cares.

I haven't been in Doom-editing mode lately, can any DeHackEd work be done with the current wad? Hopefully I get to it later, don't want to force myself to do it as it would just turn out crappy then.
Why not try Doomsday ;-)

EarthQuake said:

I'd also like to know. So I can get to work on that DeHackEd version. :D

Is there reallya need for all the weapons finished? If you only manage to get 3 or 4 weapons done, then it's still worth doing imo.

perkristian said:

Why not try Doomsday ;-)

I did download Jdoom just to try it but this computer is a bucket of shit and runs jdoom at an average of 6 FPS.

All the common weapons are done anyway, particularly the shotgun, super shotgun, and chaingun. Even weapons I don't particularly use like the pistol, plasma gun, and fists are done too right? I can live if the chainsaw, rocketlauncher, and bfg arent done.

Sounds like you need a new video card. My secondary computer is really old, but it has a newer, cheap video card and runs jDoom effortlessly.

BFG, chainsaw and rocket launcher remains.

Started on the BFG, but wasn't happy with the result. It also ended up being way to many frames. There's no movement frames originally so it works without a refreshment. Never use this weapon either.

The chainsaw frames seem difficult to work with and it looks nice enough as it is, so it'll be left for now.

The rocket launcher really needs a touch up. Only 1 frame for the recoil looks really bad. Even though it's a weapon I rarely use I want to give it at least a slightly better recoil. Give me a week and I'll have it done.

Awesome work! I can barely wait for a non-Doomsday version. I will definitely add this to my list of permanently used addons once the Dehacked version is complete.