Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arrrgh

What's your least/most favourite IWAD level?

Like the title says, which of the Ultimate Doom or Doom II levels do you like(and hate) the most? Please explain why, like say if it's the theme, architechture, gameplay or whatever.

My favourites would have to be E2M4 becuase of the E2 techbase style in general, and the atmosphere - it was one of the spookiest Doom levels IMO. I also really liked E4M2 because it was challenging and jumping from platform to platform was really fun for some reason. MAP15 was my favourite DII level. Butt-ugly but really fun. One of the worst levels IMO was probably E3M5. No idea why but I really didn't like it. Also I hated E3M8 and E2M8 becuase the fight with the cyberdemon was incredibly boring and the fight with the mastermind was a joke.

Favorite Ultimate Doom level: E4M2, I love the look and feel of that level (and really that entire episode)

Least Favorite Ultimate Doom level: E2M5, cause it's just really boring.

Favorite Doom II level: Tenements, I don't really know why but it's one of the levels I play the most.

Least Favorite Doom II level: Nirvana, it's just plain awful. Feels like something I made my first week with a map editor.

Favourite Doom Level- E4M2 (Perfect Hatred)
Most Hated Doom Level - E3M8 (Dis)

Favourite Doom II Level - MAP26 (The Abandoned Mines)
Most Hated Doom II Level - MAP28 (The Spirit World)

Wow, another one of these...

Favorite: e4m6, map14/29
Least Favorite: e2m9, map31

Doom 1

Favorite: E1M7 - atmosphere, music and layout combined are just perfection
Least favorite: E3M8 - a big pile of nothing. What a waste

Doom 2

Favorite: MAP14 - along with MAP29 probably the only Doom 2 level that looks good.
Least favorite: MAP30 - I found the idea of this level bad in 1994 and the 666+ variations that have spawned since them never managed to change my opinion about the boss wall. There's absolutely no skill involved in beating this level - only luck.

Doom

Love: E2M4, because of music, colors and some fun fights. E2M9 because it seems like an ammo waster first, but can be MAXed with a few shotgun shells, E3M6 for being the only open level in Doom I, E4M2 for the challenge, E4M6 for the clever design.

Hate: E3M7 because of too many teleporters and to few monsters, E3M8 - what a joke, even without using the BFG. E4M8 - uncreative, final battle too easy compared to other fights in that Episode.

Doom II

Love: MAP07 for dead simple gameplay, MAP08 (not really once I managed to work out all tricks and traps, but it was fun to play the first time), from a pistol start MAP11, MAP26 are cool, too.

Hate: To many maps to enumerate here. Everyone who plays pwads regulary knows how many Doom 2 maps are below the potential of the game given the new monsters.

Doc Faust

Ultimate Doom:

Favorite: E1M3 - First off, I love dark halls; it's Doom ambient music perfection. The map layout is great too, the first area you see after opening the door is very memorable, and so are several other areas such as the nukage pit and blue keycard area. It makes good use of contrast between interior and exterior areas, and has whole chunks of map you might never find without looking for them. Just overall a great map, and it really stands out, even among with other E1 maps.

My runner up would have to be E1M7, for the exact same reasons. The two are very close for me. E1M7 is larger and has better use of 3D space, allowing you to see almost every part of the map near the beginning.

Least Favorite: E2M9 - Fun concept, make the barons fight the cacos, but boring in execution. It seems like it was thrown together at the last second, and the ending key "puzzle" was unbelievably stupid.

Doom II:

Favorite: MAP02 - Tough choice here, I've never really liked Doom 2 as much as the original, so I've played through it far less. There are quite a few maps I like, but I had a much harder time pinning down a favorite. I really like this map though, it has a nice layout and a nice concept. It feels sort of like a real place, in the same way Doom E1 did, which is rare among Doom II maps.

Least Favorite: MAP24 - Again, a tough choice, since there were so many maps I just found to be either boring or irritating (or both) in Doom 2. This one takes the cake on the latter though, I think this sums it up: Vanilla Doom, mouse turning, no novert.

Doom 1:

Best -- E4M9. Very cheerful level for such a black episode. It has lots of monsters and it's very free in layout. Could be fun for modtesting too.

Worst -- E4M4. If you want a good gothic style level, play something like the Darkening or Crusades. This one, from the official set, looks like a stub, full of bugs and too short.

Doom 2:

Best -- MAP10. Perhaps the fact that Tom Hall had a hand in it helped. Very wide-open, like E4M9, but also difficult from a pistol start, having all sorts of monsters inside, including a Cyberdemon that doesn't want to give up easily.

Worst -- MAP22. Another way-too-short example, like E4M4, and it's worse in that you have very low chances of survival from a pistol start, as the mass of chaingunners and revenants are a real threat in that cramped space. It doesn't help that if you manage to survive, the rest of the level is but a couple of minutes to the exit.

doom 1:

love: e2m2. there are prettier maps, but i found testing my berserking skills by bashing imps between crates very enjoyable, and the music is perfect.

hate: e3m8. a complete anti-climax.

doom 2:

love: map11. 0 of destruction. maybe because it was the map in the first demo... anyway its architecture made it stand out. tied with inmost dens i think.

hate: map24 by far, for exactly the reasons dragonbrethren posted. awful.

Doom
E1:
♥ M7 -- great connectedness with the many windows, it just flows great.
♠ M6 -- far too many traps that close the doors and open monster closets. Boring.
E2:
♥ M4 -- the best example of E2 architecture, followed by M5
♠ M3 -- the worst example of E2 architecture :p
E3:
♥ M3 -- though M7 is a close second
♠ M6 -- ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly; the worst-looking Doom 1 level
E4:
♥ M5 -- I like the layout and it's one of the few E4 level that isn't too bug-ridden
♠ M1 -- I'd like it much better if there were a bit more ammo, or a berserk pack, or if they had imported the Hell Knights from Doom 2 and replaced some of the Barons by their weaker cousins. The end of the level is tedious when you want to get max kills.

Doom 2
Starport:
♥ MAP02 -- short and sweet
♠ MAP06 -- absolutely ridiculous
Outpost:
♥ MAP10 -- large map with memorable areas
♠ MAP08 -- one of the many gimmicky maps that plague Doom 2
City
♥ MAP14 -- excellent work on architecture in that one, very distinctive
♠ MAP13 -- urgh
Hell
♥ MAP26 -- mostly by default
♠ MAP30 -- worst boss ever, completely nonsensical

Doom 1:

love: E2M5. I don't know why, but this is the level I think of when I think of Doom.
hate: E2M7. I find this level dull. I don't enjoy trudging through places like the crate room or the "vats"

Doom 2:

love: MAP01/MAP02. Strong start to a decent game.
hate: MAP15. Just feels like an amateur pwad level. From the large open places to that little rock ramp in the lava with the blue armor (still scratching my head on that one). Don't get me wrong, it's got some interesting parts. But to get there you have to go through some unpleasant territory.

My favs are Hanger(Nostalgia)

My fav thats not Nostalgia is.. lemme think of its name.. ugh! cant believe I forgot it but Its that one with the Barrels all over th.. GOT IT Barrels of Fun! :) I love that music track it has as well.

least fav is all of Episode 4.. not liked Episode 4 much..

Gez said:

The end of the level [E4M1] is tedious when you want to get max kills.

Really? Just save all your 12 rockets and use them all to kill the four barons. They'll suffice.

printz said:

Really? Just save all your 12 rockets and use them all to kill the four barons. They'll suffice.

Umm. A baron takes at least 6 rockets to kill.

Doom 1
Like:E1M4 - Good solid level, good gameplay.
Hate:E2M4 - This level was confusing. The BFG pit is strangely not filled with lava, doors that require you to walk on water.

Doom 2
Like:Map06 - I quite like this map, it's got quite balanced difficulty but I really think the Spider Mastermind is a bit much. Maybe 4 barons would have sufficed.
Hate:Map23/24 - What the -- The architecture on these maps is awful. Map23 is quite fun though.

Chrome Bolt said:
Umm. A baron takes at least 6 rockets to kill.

Lure the barons in a cramped position and deal out splash damage. A good trick for this is to hide behind the iron bars where the red key has been and wait until all four barons gathered on the ledge the other side. Twelve rockets are in most cases enough to kill 'em all.

Chrome Bolt said:
Like:Map06 - I quite like this map, it's got quite balanced difficulty but I really think the Spider Mastermind is a bit much. Maybe 4 barons would have sufficed.

Just crush it!

Doc Faust

Fav Ultimate Doom E1 - Map 2 - classic and mazelike in every way.

Least Fav UD E2 - Map 9 - While I don't hate this map, it just falls at the bottom for episode 1. Too linear.

Fav UD E2 - Map 4 - So many different textured areas, and a great atmosphere.

Least Fav UD E2 - Map 9 - My least favorite in all of UD. Seems like an afterthought level, and has too simple of a design.

Fav UD E3 - Map 6 - So many challenges I had with this level, and it's open atmosphere makes this one of my favorites

Least Fav UD E4 - Map 7 - Too much of the same textures, and I hate that maze area in the north of the map!

Fav UD E4 - Map 2 - Short, but fuckin' hard! Looking back on this though, I like the design of the level and the placement of monsters

Least Fav UD E4 - Map 9 - I don't know, I just never found this level that fun to play.

-------------------------------

Doom 2

Fav level (1st third) - Map 5 - creepy, mazelike, plus, a tense soundtrack as well.

Least Fav (1st third) - Map 2 - Again, I don't hate it, but it's just not too memorable for me.

Fav Level (2nd third) - Map 19 - I loved playing this level, and always had fun trying to figure out where to go next inside the casle section of the level.

Least Fav (2nd third) - Map 17 - Mostly repeated designs and it just never stood out to me as a classic.

Fav Level (last third) - Map 24 - big, big, big - Every moment of this level is memorable to me

Least fav - (last third - Map 26, Just like map 17, nothing in this really stood out to me
--------------------------------------------

Ultimate Doom:
Episode 1
Best - E1M7
Worst - E1M4

Episode 2
Best - E2M4
Worst - E2M7

Episode 3
Best - E3M7
Worst - E3M3

Episode 4
Best - E4M6
Worst - E4M7

Doom II:
Best - MAP29
Worst - MAP10

pizzabob18 said:

Doom 2

Fav level (1st third) - Map 5 - creepy, mazelike, plus, a tense soundtrack as well.

Least Fav (1st third) - Map 2 - Again, I don't hate it, but it's just not too memorable for me.

Fav Level (2nd third) - Map 19 - I loved playing this level, and always had fun trying to figure out where to go next inside the casle section of the level.

Least Fav (2nd third) - Map 17 - Mostly repeated designs and it just never stood out to me as a classic.

Fav Level (last third) - Map 24 - big, big, big - Every moment of this level is memorable to me

Least fav - (last third - Map 26, Just like map 17, nothing in this really stood out to me

wat

[QUOTE
Just crush it![/quote]The crusher doesn't always kill it. But nevermind, it's severly weakened usually.

I can't stand The Chasm from Doom 2. MAP30 also annoys me. I always mouselook. I'm pretty certain the Doomguy can look down two feet, and anyway he does so for other monsters.

I liked MAP20 a lot. It was... let's say, a surprise.

in ultimate doom, my fave level is E1M8. the first introduction to the baron of hells
my least fave, E2M7. sooooooo boring!
Doom 2 fave level, MAP32 grosse. short but snappy!
least fave. MAP24(?) the courtyard. also boring.

Doom 2

Most favourite = MAP26. The overall theme is consistent.
Least favourite = MAP13. Randum textured city.

Ultimate Doom

Most favourite = E3M5. Great atmosphere.
Least favourite = E2M2. It's boring, and usually a containment area should not have slime pits. That's pointless. So, unconsistent theme here, too.

Doom Favorites:
Most - E3M9 (Always enjoyed the large battles)
Least - E4M1 (Hard as hell on Nightmare)

Doom II Favorites:
Most - MAP28 (Always liked the hellish theme/music in this one)
Least - MAP14 (Thought the stones design was ugly and uninspiring)

e3m1 is my least favorite level. It just has so many things wrong with it.

1) From the beginning, a lift that abuses textures and looks like crap . How difficult would it have been to make a matching eye switch for the organic texture (or vice versa)?? The eye switch texture not matching with the organic hell texture really sticks out like a sore thumb. Considering DOOM's texture patch system, it probably wouldn't have even took up that much space to put in a texture for this.
2) Then, a small looking "keep" with misaligned textures. It gets worse. If you look around the keep, it has no thickness! How hard could it have been to add a couple extra sectors and linedefs to make the keep look like a keep instead of a flat panel?
3) Once you open it, you get to fight 2 cacos. Which wouldn't be so tedious.. if you had something more than a pistol.
4) The shotgun with lava is a lame gimmick trap. Having a door permanently close behind you would have achieved the same purpose without annoying the player.
5) The next room is okay - a decent fight with a caco and a few imps. But someone forgot to unpeg the door tracks of the door leading to it. Whoops! Seriously, after this and #2, I'm beginning to think this was rushed.
6) After that, you have to fight several demons in a narrow room where they can only go forward or backward. Pretty bland and boring, and only useful for slowing down would-be speedrunners. You just stand there and shoot until they die.
6) Afterwards, you arrive in a room with several pillars which look like they're there to fill up space. They just seem to be there without any real purpose. Except being in the way!!
7) Okay, pretty cool, you get to fight some imps. Then, you open the door and go through the tele- WHOOPS! That was an exit! Too bad you didn't know, since there's no exit sign. At least you don't have to suffer playing this level anymore.

--

My favorite is probably e1m5. I love the use of lighting at the end of the level. Might seem kind of gimmicky now, but back in the 90's (when my age was a single digit), it scared me. The light flashing for a brief moment then going back out really kept me on my toes, and the room was set up well for such lighting - fighting in that room was an interesting challenge.

Why oh why did they not have John Romero map for e2/e3? :(

Ultimate Doom
Favorite: E2M2. There's something about the combination of gameplay, visuals, and music that makes this map perhaps the creepiest map in any of the IWADs.
Least favorite: E3M3. A jumble of mismatched rooms and corridors using just about every texture in doom.wad.

Doom II
Favorite: MAP29. The epic feel and expansive layout make map29 deserve its position as the most imitated Doom II map ever.
Least favorite: MAP24. Razor-thin catwalks in ugly pipe textures over inescapable lava pits. Walls made out of slimefall textures. Walking over those catwalks while Lost Souls attack you. Need I say more?

Spleen said:

3) Once you open it, you get to fight 2 cacos. Which wouldn't be so tedious.. if you had something more than a pistol.

The idea is that you're supposed to dash past the cacos, grab the shotgun, and come back around to kill them. Of course, there's enough space that you can easily tickle them to death with the pistol.

For all its faults, E3M1 has nothing on E3M3, E3M4, or E3M6 in sheer revolting nastiness.

Favourite Ultimate Doom level: E2M4, Deimos Lab. There's just something incredibly atmospheric about it.

Least favourite Ultimate Doom level: E2M9, Fortress of Mystery. It's too small and tedious.

Favourite Doom2 level: a draw between MAP17, Tenements and MAP26, The Abandoned Mines. I just love their architecture for some reason.

Least favourite Doom2 level: MAP09, The Pit. I just really don't like the concept behind it and there are way too many switches for such a small level.

Doom1: Best E1M7
Doom1: Worst E3M8 unfortunately.

Doom2: Best hard to pick. But I have to say Map01 for all the wonderful DMs I've had in this map over the decade.
Doom2: Worst. Easy. Map10 I never liked this map.

Graf Zahl said:

Least favorite: MAP30 - I found the idea of this level bad in 1994 and the 666+ variations that have spawned since them never managed to change my opinion about the boss wall. There's absolutely no skill involved in beating this level - only luck.

No skill?

Graf Zahl said:

Actually the kind of skill needed is when to pull the trigger in relation to your position on the platform, while also having to aim straight. And kill offending monsters early (I say it's rather inevitable to have an arachnotron and some fliers spawned).

In Ultimate Doom, my favourites are:

E1M3. Very memorable and gripping, this was the one that really drew me into Doom back when I first played it in '98.
E2M4. Dark and quiet, a nice contrast to the rest. The music really helps create the atmosphere.
E3M5. An oppressive, labyrinthine, truly hellish environment. A bit rough round the edges, but it still achieves what it set out to do.
E4M2. Hard, but fun. Looks good too.
E4M6. Probably the best-looking map in the set; as far as architecture goes, it set the bar quite high.

Least favourites:

E1M9. Not truly terrible, just a bit rubbish compared to the rest of E1. Probably why they used it as the secret level.
E2M6. Arrrgh, a dark maze. Fuck off dark maze.
E3M3. Confusing, ugly mishmash, the less said about which the better. "Pandemonium" is a very appropriate name.
E3M7. Dull-looking, repetitive and far from explanatory; first time I played it, it took me nearly half an hour to work out what the hell I was supposed to do.