Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
esselfortium

I REALLY need help on this huge new project

Also, does anyone know how I could implement food into the levels? It would not effect the player, except it would stop enemies while they ate it so you could mow them down with a shotgun. You could lure imps into a room with them, so they would slow down for ya. I got this idea from someone on a New Doom forum. Does anyone know how I could do this?

I have no idea if this is correct or not, but maybe, just maybe if you made a dummy player and gave him food sprites, and made it invulnerable, it might work. But I'm really not sure.

stop enemies while they ate it so you could mow them down with a shotgun.

idea from someone on a New Doom forum

Well, I made the opening room so far, but I still have to plan out the level before I continue working.

No one ever joins existing projects, they just try to start their own, and that's why there's so many that never get released. Eternity celebrates its 5th anniversary of development today, and one of the chief reasons why is a lack of mapping help. To the few mappers who have contributed, I thank you all.

Lesson 1: don't assume that existing projects will consider your work subpar -- often times mappers approach me like I expect them to be professionals in the map design business. While I do have quality expectations, I'm not a detail freak. You don't have to be Afterglow or kdoom (who is contributing some maps, btw ^_^) to make a map that would do for Eternity TC.

Lesson 2: don't expect other people to help you -- the DOOM community is already too thinned out both in sheer number and in talent distributed between existing projects -- if you can't do it yourself at this point, you might as well see about joining an existing project -- it can be just as satisfying -- if you think I'm a hypocrite for saying this, consider that I *have* done a large amount of work across the board on Eternity -- coding the engine, doing some sprites and textures, and mapping, not to mention story line & plot development, and managing the whole project, which is a lot of work.

Lesson 3: know your limits -- back when I started Eternity I was too ambitious -- I believed I would have dialogue and scripting in months, and its turned out to be years -- in my case, the experience and motivation gained has been worth it, but most people won't invest that much time in something, so start out simple if you can.

Thus sayeth Quasar.

Lesson 2: don't expect other people to help you -- the DOOM community is already too thinned out both in sheer number and in talent distributed between existing projects -- if you can't do it yourself at this point, you might as well see about joining an existing project -- it can be just as satisfying -- if you think I'm a hypocrite for saying this, consider that I *have* done a large amount of work across the board on Eternity -- coding the engine, doing some sprites and textures, and mapping, not to mention story line & plot development, and managing the whole project, which is a lot of work.

I'd actually rather work on a project, because I don't have as many ideas or motivation if I'm just making levels for me.

It's an interesting project, I think I can help. Please e-mail me at vegeta@topmail.com.ar

Actually, I rarely work on the projects I am involved in. I much rather just make some level I feel like making at the moment. If I have to do something, I easily lose interest.