Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

What do you love and hate about Doom 64?

The thread name speaks for itself.

I really love the atmosphere of Doom 64, it's really dark and creepy at times. I love the colored lights allot as well. I think the music is good as well since it makes everything very creepy. But what i don't like are the bland textures, the somewhat disappointing enemy sprites (the zombies look like a shitstain) and the shotgun sprites and animation were disappointing in particular (NO reload animation? Really?). The level design was also dull at times. Oh! And having to use passwords (assuming your playing the actual game on a actual N64 and not the TC or the Doom 64 EX) to load your game is stupid since the N64 is more then powerful enough to support save game files.

Discuss.

I love the atmosphere of Doom 64. I have never seen an atmosphere created as well as the Williams/Midway FPS's (which is what I like to call the group of PSX Doom and PSX Final Doom, as well as Doom 64 and Quake 64). I personally prefer PSX Doom, but Doom 64 is just as good. I'm not really a fan of some of the redesigned sprites, but I can live with them. Some of the levels before the end were bland as well. Also, what is up with monster behavior? At some certain levels, such as Even Simpler and The Absolution, monsters refuse to infight. Any explanation?

I love the music and SFX though, a lot better than PC Doom. I also like the colored lighting, which doesn't look so awkward as PSX Doom.

With saving, if you own a controller pack, you can save games and load them like the PC.

Overall an epic game, just can't beat levels like Altar of Pain and Dark Citadel.

I don't like that the zombiemen and the shotgun dudes look almost the same (hell, might as well be absolutely the same - i cant tell the difference), and yeah the textures could use some contrast i guess. I love everything else though. I think it's the only non-PC doom anybody needs to bother with (well i also love the snes port for nostalgic reasons).

I like its atmosphere and music, and some of its levels. I like how lost souls only take one shotgun blast to kill (if I remember correctly). Can't really say there's anything I hate.

What do I love? The atmosphere of the mid/later levels (past Even Simpler) and I adore the music, it's just simply creepy and fits the theme of the game well.

What do I hate? The lack of revenant and chaingunner. I understand the cartridge limitations on the N64 but I would have loved to see what they look like D64ized. I also dislike the fact the former sergeant is just a gray recolor of the zombieman and harder to distinguish from a distance.

Krispavera said:

I like its atmosphere and music, and some of its levels. I like how lost souls only take one shotgun blast to kill (if I remember correctly). Can't really say there's anything I hate.

I think lost souls can only take a single shotgun blast at pointblank range before being killed in the PSX version of Doom as well. It was to make the game less difficult since you could not save your game while playing.

Mr. Chris said:

What do I love? The atmosphere of the mid/later levels (past Even Simpler) and I adore the music, it's just simply creepy and fits the theme of the game well.

What do I hate? The lack of revenant and chaingunner. I understand the cartridge limitations on the N64 but I would have loved to see what they look like D64ized. I also dislike the fact the former sergeant is just a gray recolor of the zombieman and harder to distinguish from a distance.

The stupid thing is, there were actually larger cartridges back then. But they decided to use the smaller ones for some reason. And yea, i agree about the zombies, plus they also just the sprites for the zombies just look plain ugly and poorly done compared to the zombies from the ordinary Doom games.

No complaints at all really. The only thing that bugs me is the N64 controller

(dont tell me to use Doom64ex! I have an N64, and I'll use it if I want to!!)

I neither love nor hate it. I think it's OK. It's a good, fun "port". I use quotes because, to me, it feels more like a different game that is very similar to Doom than actually truly a Doom game.

Back to the love or hate thing though... The sprites, I like some of them but others look a bit... I dunno, caricature-like (eg caco). A lot of the sprites are quite blurry looking too and I agree with the comments about the zombies and their similarity. I also agree that the textures could use a bit more contrast.

I'm not that fond of many of the levels but their scripted effects can be quite impressive and many play and look better than a lot of the Doom2 maps.

The sounds... the sounds... My initial reaction with the sounds, especially when I first heard them on my PSX (I played the PC version first), was that they were cool. However, I quickly tired of them and I don't really like the way they sound like they've had their treble reduced (or whatever they did) and their echoeyness increased in a very "contrived to be spooky sounding" way.

The music, I like.

Enjay said:

I neither love nor hate it. I think it's OK. It's a good, fun "port". I use quotes because, to me, it feels more like a different game that is very similar to Doom than actually truly a Doom game.

I sort of 50% agree with that. I don't agree that it doesn't feel like a Doom game. But i still think the game felt like it's very own game set in the same universe as Doom rather then as a direct sequel like it was suppose to be.

The whole spooky atmosphere they tried to go for sometimes feels as though it falls flat with all those goofy sprites.. I really can't say I like any of them at all, except maybe the cyber demon.

Doom 64 and PSX doom's music basically amount to a bunch of background noises, it's not really music at all... I honestly have to put some actual music on or I might fall asleep playing Doom 64. I can see it making great atmosphere music.. but it just doesn't work for me here.

I'm a bit biased having played the pc version long before any console version, but I really can't see why anybody would like them more than the PC version if not for nostalgia of having played Doom 64 before any other version.

Doom to me has always been about high speed game play with fast/catchy music. Take away the catchy music, slow down the game's pace, and you've got yourself a Doom game that I don't want to play.

I don't think Doom64 has enough texture color themes. All the texture tend to fall into a grayish category and relies heavily on colored lighting to create a colored atmosphere, while Doom 1 and 2 have textures that are grouped into themes that look good when used together. There's a kind of art to that.

I feel as though if we didn't have Doom 1 and 2 and only Doom64, none of the user-made maps would look unique.

Despite the difficult to create user-made uniqueness, I love everything else about Doom64. The double headed chainsaw, which doesn't appear to serve any physical purpose other than monster slaughter. It's increased speed makes it even more useful. The pistol shoots faster, the shotgun slightly faster, the chaingun faster were all thankful additions. I like how some monsters' health is decreased, particularly the imps, demons and lost souls, making the regular shotgun more useful. And also making the double mouthed Pain Elemental an agreeable enemy balance.

I kinda miss the revenant, archvile, and chaingun guys though. However they were kinda the monsters that determined whether you have 100% health or 0% if they caught sight of you before you can see them. Which is really bad in really long maps, which Doom64 has, so it's not all that bad.

i played doom 64 first, but as soon as i got the full pc versions i almost stopped playing 64 entirely. i still play it now and then though.

there isnt much actual music to speak of, but i like how they kept the opening, ending and stats screen from doom 64 and the menus from psx doom musics pretty much the same music but altered. makes it sorta seem like it was the soundtrack from a movie or something.

i like the weapon sounds from doom 64, and the chaingun looks 400% more awesome than the pc chaingun, but the shotguns dont look right without a reload animation.

since i first played doom 64 i was a bit confused when i saw a demon before an imp. for a short while (before i played the pc version) i thought that the imp was the demon and the demon was the imp! but that might just be me. the demon from doom 64 reminds me more of a grizzly bear. the zombies were confusing at first as well (first time i played the game, i actually thought they were other guys here to help me. i soon figured out they werent when they started shooting me!). i still cant really tell the diffence between a pistol zombie or a shotgun zombie, mostly due to the games lack of light in most places. heck, even with the light amplication visor its still really dark.

i couldnt actually get past the first few sections in the first level cause i couldnt find the "use" button. after i few tries i eventually found it. the controls are okay but they just dont stand up to a keyboard and mouse.

i do miss the revenant, vile, chaingunner and mastermind in it, and the mother demon just reminds me of the queen alien. im suprised no-one has tried to "doom 64-ize" the monsters missing from it. id try, but im absolutely uselss with sprite editing.

neg...
-shitty animation... due to catridge size
-feels laggy
-some of the artwork reminds me too much of quake
-sprites look too Nintendo-ish, toy doom
-mancubus looks like a drunk pedophile
-no arch-vile
-laser sucks, chainsaw looks silly

pos.
+atmosphere + lighting
+good level design
+mostly interesting addition/interpretation of the doom theme
+pink demon looks beyond awesome
+has a unique charme

Sure the zombieman and sergeant look very similar, but aren't they supposed to be the same guys, different weapons? Makes full sense to me...

What I played was the Doom 64 TC for PC, not the original, so I had no new 'music', instead merely the Doom 2 tunes, which I didn't hate, they fit well with the maps. Did I miss anything? Do the Doom 64 background noises sound like the much newer Doom 3?

I love about Doom 64 the new ambience. The selection of colours on a colourless world make for a harsh, but SF kind of place. The monsters look terrific and much better than their Doom 2 original counterparts, which look cartoony and saturated. Mancubi really look like giant demonic hogs, not fat old men, and Pain Elementals are upgraded as nightmares incarnate, not the placidly dumb beings from Doom 2. The guns sounded louder, too.

I don't like the monster sounds, though; they resemble livestock too much this time. I had no problem with the simple shotgun, but I didn't like the SSG, as the firing sequence appeared glitchy to me (the barrel open noise was mysteriously missing).

The gameplay was different from Doom 2; it was emphasized on plasma ball throwers. I play only with keyboard, to better emulate having no mouse for TV play. I was glad the dangerous sergeants weren't much used, so the gameplay resembled episodes 2 and 3 of Doom 1. Instead, barons and knights (also cacos) were Overused, causing me to quit in disgust by MAP14; it became damn Repetitive... Maybe the old Doom 2 music had to do something with this pain, as well as the feeling that nothing new would appear any more. MAP07 was clever though, mainly thanks to those Elementals. The Arachnotrons were scary too, due to their improved firepower.

I'll probably ditch the subsequent levels of original Doom 64 TC, and look for some less repetitive custom wads made for it.

printz said:

What I played was the Doom 64 TC for PC, not the original, so I had no new 'music', instead merely the Doom 2 tunes, which I didn't hate, they fit well with the maps. Did I miss anything? Do the Doom 64 background noises sound like the much newer Doom 3?

Some would argue your missing all the atmosphere without the original music.

I hate the fact it was for a console that failed in my country, ONLY for that console, and cant be played on any port I have.

Hurry up Kaiser :p

I love almost everything. The only things I dislike is the lack of SSG reload animation, and the controls, and Absolution improves the controls.

Ragnor said:

I hate the fact it was for a console that failed in my country, ONLY for that console, and cant be played on any port I have.

What country are you from? I though the N64 took some sold amounts of ground during most of it's life time even though the PS1 took most of the consumer base.

I think it was a great game with great additions to DooM especially colored lighting, level design, sound.
The music is awesome ; ok some tracks are boring less boring as some DooM2 tracks IMO and it's more an ambient track with weird noises but there was also ambient tracks in PC DooM like "they are going to get you", "sinister", "dark halls", not only fast paced metal.
Also the PSXDooM music is much darker and despair than DooM64 that is just weird and spooky.

sprites look too Nintendo-ish, toy doom

I think the design was very unequal the zombieman, imp and baron look-like correct but some like lost soul look-like bullshit.

They released it after Quake was out and they didn't put 3Dmodels,
but ok if it was for having some crappy md2, the bigger sprites are fines.

DoomKn1ght said:

They released it after Quake was out and they didn't put 3Dmodels,
but ok if it was for having some crappy md2, the bigger sprites are fines.

The reason for that was explained in previews - to keep the performance with crowds of them good on the N64.
I'm glad they aren't models, as nobody in the 90s knew how to make good 3d models, not even id software. (until early 99 when they got serious with steed and scott)

leileilol said:

The reason for that was explained in previews - to keep the performance with crowds of them good on the N64.
I'm glad they aren't models, as nobody in the 90s knew how to make good 3d models, not even id software. (until early 99 when they got serious with steed and scott)

Yeah that right but turok was out in 1997 too and models where quite good IMO. I know there only a handful drawn on the screen at the same time. The sprite are very good although they are "toy-ish". I was impressed at the time compared to the PSX.

I don't like hearing the PSXDoom64 sounds in PC Doom mods. (I like it even less when they're mixed with Quake sounds.)

Otherwise, no opinion on Doom64 itself.

Ragnor said:

Are you living under a rock or something? D64EX has been out for quite some time.

Enjay said:

I thought so too. In fact, it felt more like a Quake clone for me with the Doom setting.

_bruce_ said:

neg...
-shitty animation... due to catridge size
-feels laggy
-some of the artwork reminds me too much of quake
-sprites look too Nintendo-ish, toy doom
-mancubus looks like a drunk pedophile
-no arch-vile
-laser sucks, chainsaw looks silly

pos.
+atmosphere + lighting
+good level design
+mostly interesting addition/interpretation of the doom theme
+pink demon looks beyond awesome
+has a unique charme

agree with pretty much everything here, provided we're talking about d64 for the pc here, since i never had the patience to play doom with a controller on a console. i'm not a big fan of colored lighting, but it's ok. sounds and music create a more sinister atmosphere than doom's.

hardcore_gamer said:

What country are you from? I though the N64 took some sold amounts of ground during most of it's life time even though the PS1 took most of the consumer base.

Here in New Zealand, Nintendo was almost always crushed into the dirt by the competition, Sega destroyed them in pretty much every aspect during the Megadrive vs SNES years, then Playstation killed both Sega and Nintendo. I only ever saw Doom64 once, on a very small N64 display hidden in a corner, surrounded by Playstation stuff. I remember being all "oh hey, Doom! What the hell is this THING, this isnt a controller, theres no shoot button!"

The gaming community here is very fickle, Dreamcast died almost as soon as it came out, anything Nintendo is looked down on (To the point that some Nintendo games make it to Australia, but not NZ, which is bullshit, Au/NZ counts as one region now), pretty much everything here is 360/PS3/PSP with PC, Wii and DS as side options.

And Kaiser, I thought Doom64EX was still being worked on, I knew there was a versio you could download. Has it been all finished up now?

The only thing I disliked were the sprites. The sprites didn't felt scary enough or something. Or maybe its just because I am so used to the ones in doom(2). The cacodemon in particular didn't looked menacing enough imo. It felt more cartoon-ish. Other than that nothing else really bugged me.

I liked the music and sounds, the levels were pretty cool as well. Maybe it would be interesting to re create the Doom64 levels for Zdoom. Kinda like KDiZd, chuck loads of Zdoom tricks into them :p

Loved:
The atmosphere
The lighting effects
The sounds and music (Aubrey Hodges is an effing legend)
The level design
The scripting
The Unmaker

Hated:
The controls - more the joypad's fault though
The Even Simpler glitch
The missing monsters
The drastically redesigned monsters (ie the Cacodemon and Pain Elemental)
Some of the music directly inherited from PSX Doom doesn't sound quite as good as it did on the PSX (Mt. Erebus/Altar Of Pain comes to mind)
The fact the the Lost Souls could just hug you to death
The fact that Midway canned D64II.

@Gez: You're gonna absolutely HATE my mod then...