Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

The Green Herring said:

Here's a collection of max demos for the second speedmapping session I participated in. Includes two speed demos.

Totally awesome speedrun of my MAP01, I never even thought to do that!

I'm only about 30 seconds behind you on MAP07. I think with a good optimised run, less than 1:45 is not out of the question.

Your timing in dodging the Archvile hitscan attack is so precise, every time. It's really quite impressive.

The Green Herring said:
Jodwin's second level is a brown techbase, most of which is rather dark. You get the BFG near the end, but you get only one shot, leaving the remaining twenty cells completely unusable. This is actually my first exit ever; all previous attempts ended either with my getting slaughtered near the red key, or getting nuked by the cyberdemon at the end.

Good level for the ending. That reminds me of Knee Deep in the Dead, where all the cells gathered through backpacks are of no use. Here, though, the BFG will have 3 shots (instead of just double) in nightmare, which isn't bad for a level that's already pretty deadly to push.

A little off-topic considering this is a demo thread, but heh... Letting the player have only one BFG shot in that map was intentional, lets say that the 20 extra cells are more like an unfortunate side effect of providing the player with a backpack. If given an extra BFG shot, depending where you would have used it it might have made the arch-viles or the slaughter fight too easy (as in, easier than intended). In general, I like giving players limited ammo on the big guns and making them use that ammo as well as possible or facing tougher fights because all the good stuff was wasted on zombies or imps... (see claus map27 :P)

It's interesting seeing how another person plays a map. I usually sit tight and don't let myself get surrounded but you go straight in there. Nice demos.

I tend to play very aggressively, especially when recording speedruns. It frequently yields good results, even if it means I get killed a lot in the process. ;)

Anyway, here are three new UV max demos. Two are for very old Doom levels, and were recorded with Ultimate Doom; the other is for a Boom level which is currently in newstuff/, and was recorded with Boom itself. Check them out.

MEAT-353.ZIP - MEAT.WAD by Carolyn Schulenburg in 3:53
NIN-449.ZIP - Nine Inch Nails (NINDM.WAD) by Jason Staples in 4:49
nr4u-320.zip - No Rockets For You (ww-nr4u.wad) by WildWeasel in 3:20

I did Doom City on all standard categories.

Category          Time
--------------------------
  UV-Speed          0:37
  NM-Speed          0:57
  UV-Max            2:34
  NM-100S           1:10
  UV-fast           2:43
  UV-respawn        1:53
  UV-pacifist       1:01
  UV-Tyson          4:31
--------------------------
Actually, this wad is the second wad which I have ever played. The map is short and easy but very fun and great. There are real buildings (a supermarket, a convenience store, a bank, a library, etc...).

I was surprised and impressed by the map very much when I played first. I was reminded of this wad recently, so I recorded these demos.

Enjoy!

doomcity_lmps.zip

dr2008v2 map 10 (death destiny's 'soulscarred universe') uvmax in 28:35.

The end could be faster but speed is harder on long maps. I'm pretty sure one of the secrets can't be triggered. I did complevel 9 (probably supposed to be 2 or 9 but I have a tendency to guess wrong).
Cybers can sometimes be cornered by enemies preventing them from moving/shooting causing them to infight/die, which can affect ammo available, speed and difficulty. On 2 previous runs I accidently got the yellow key too early while running backwards, thus triggering the viles and dying.

just saw anima's hmp max. Its better quality with a faster route. Probably 10 min or more could be shaved off my demo, heh.

d2102835.zip

I'll post something sloppy this time, in this thread of very good and outstanding demos...

MAP04 Tyson

2002ADO Miscellanea:

E1M1 (The Entry): Stroller in :46
E2M1 (Station Alpha): Pacifist in 4:10
E3M1 (Gatehouse): Tyson in 3:52

adomisc.zip

^ Any reason why those aren't Doom compatible? (2002ADO is.)

In any case, finding them in the folder where I place demos I still need to watch, I had to come back to the thread to check out who recorded them because the text files don't say :p

(You can sign as vdgg, if you like, no problem.)

EDIT: Same goes for your PL2 Tyson, which I moved here as that thread's for (Final) Doom compatible demos (as per the title.) Keep up the good work, although in the future I recommend recording in the usual demo formats (Doom or Boom) according to what the WAD requires, if you don't mind, as it makes the demos fully comparable to most others.

The 3 demos for 2002ADO were recorded with doom.wad version 1.9ud (12408292 Bytes), because it's the only version of doom.wad I have.

I was pretty sure the Tyson demo for pl2.wad was OK in terms of compatibility and posted in the right place. Isn't -iwad plutonia the same thing as -complevel 4?

Not signing my textfiles is dumb, of course, and will be corrected.

The -iwad parameter simply selects the IWAD, the main WAD file to use, while the -complevel tells PrBoom itself how to behave as an engine and what demo format to use. Normally PrBoom has its own engine behavior, -complevel 17 or -1, which is roughly based on MBF, and has various settings that affect all sorts of different individual compatibility aspects, such as whether lost souls will bounce on the floor, how stairs are built, how things behave near ledges, whether pain elementals can spawn an infinite anount of lost souls, and so on. The lower compatibility levels, such as Doom (2-4) and Boom (9) ignore most of these individual settings and behave like doom.exe, doom2.exe or boom.exe, and produce demos that can be played back with those.

If you open your demos with a hex or text editor you'll see they start with Ö.MBFæ while Doom v1.9 demos start with an m, which is 6D in hexadecimal, or 109, which marks version "1.9" of Doom. If you try to play your demos with Doom or Chocolate Doom they will not find that "109" version marker and will close with the error "Demo is from a different game version!"

You can also see the two sticky threads about demo compatibility levels, for more info.

I did some maxes on Ruba's new megawad Killing Adventure. Instead of using zdoom, I used prboomplus with complevel 9 (the secret lift in map05 didn't work with complevel 2).

map02 0:52
map03 1:31
map05 0:39
map06 0:59
map13 3:46
map16 2:18
map17 1:14
map20 0:49
map21 2:19
map22 2:39
map24 1:19

demos: killadve-tod1.zip

edit: put map17 1:14 instead of 1:20

Updated my demo three posts up with a faster one by 24 seconds.

@gggmork

Wow gggmork! That was quite a run. I love your lengthy demos! How do you prepare or find the time to prepare for such a sizable level with all that back tracking?

It's better to make a new attachment in your current post, unless for some reason you want to stop people from seeing your old demo (not sure why that would be.)

HackNeyed said:

How do you prepare or find the time to prepare for such a sizable level with all that back tracking?

For a big/long/complex level, I typically do an iddqd run or type 'tntem' in prboomplus to get a feel for where stuff is. Then I usually open it in doombuilder and spend awhile planning on what appears to be a fast route. For some maps there is a non-obvious walk over line or something so this is almost necessary (in this map for example, it was much easier to look in doombuilder to see that there was an important reverent-horde releasing walk over line near a main central switch). If the map has difficulty settings, it helps to filter/delete all non-uv things when looking in doombuilder (I wrongly thought a huge horde of uv reverents was demons for awhile).

For long maps I tend to do a practice uv run with saves which helps confirm which routes are reasonably safe/fast/possible. So the final run is fairly planned. That run could probably be a lot faster, like not sure if causing that huge infight at the end was faster or slower (but it seemed safer), and long levels require playing more safely to do it in a reasonable number of attempts.

@gggmork

Thanks for the info, it confirms some ideas I had and gives me others. I applaud your endurance and I think I'll stick to the cozy maps and maybe work my way up to the epics.

@myk

OK, I'll remember that for the future.

100pctv2.wad max/reality 1:19
(the map was intended for max/reality)

Also, a max movie from September 2008 on barbamaps6.wad (infinite ammo coop wad)
MAP01 - 6:44 - no deaths, soulsphere
MAP02 - 5:44 - no deaths, bfg
MAP03 - 3:53 - no deaths
MAP04 - 3:56 - no deaths, also reality
MAP05 - 3:04 - no deaths
MAP06 - 3:10 - no deaths
MAP07 - 3:42 - no deaths
MAP08 - 2:57 - 3 deaths, bfg
MAP09 - 11:10 - 2 deaths, bfg
MAP10 - 5:00 - no deaths, megasphere
MAP11 - 4:05 - no deaths, also reality
MAP12 - 4:42 - no deaths, also reality

TOTAL - 58:07 (zdoom 2.2.0)

vatosquare-singleplayer max 10:50 (zdoom 2.2.0 with infinite ammo)

Vatoloko posted that map on the ZDaemon forums. It looks like a remake of SQUARES but apparently he's never seen that map before. heh

EDIT: btw, I'm still using zdoom 2.2.0 because I can't get "no bfg aiming" to work in the newest zdoom. I type in the dmflags in the batch file, but it still aims bfg.