Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #353

I always knew that Ruba was an unsung genius, and Killing adventure only proves it. With everything taken into account, the mediocre level design, the presentation, the disrespect for serious Doomers and Dooming, it has to be one of the most entertaining releases this year.

Is it objectively great stuff? Hell no, but I enjoyed it a lot.

There's a glitch in Cyberdance? Can someone elaborate, as I only tested it with Skulltag (my default engine)...and what's this monster-proof sector all about by the way?

Mr. Chris said:

There's a glitch in Cyberdance? Can someone elaborate, as I only tested it with Skulltag (my default engine)...and what's this monster-proof sector all about by the way?

There isn't a glitch. The reviewer was presumebly confused or was thinking of a console version of Doom.

By monster proof sector, one could assume he means the fact that monsters can't enter the tower at tall, meaning you can just sit in there and pick at the Cyber everytime he passes an enterance, while the bad guys on the pillars outside can't see you to fire at you.

Maybe I'll revamp it later to make it hell for the player..but if I recall, the original id E2M8 ammo rooms were low enough to keep the cyberdemon from entering too..no?

Mr. Chris said:

Maybe I'll revamp it later to make it hell for the player..but if I recall, the original id E2M8 ammo rooms were low enough to keep the cyberdemon from entering too..no?

No. He could enter. He couldn't go in the inner nave, so it was kinda easy to just climb on a step opposite his chamber, just high enough that your chaingun and shotgun shots would hit him but low enough that his rockets would explode on the switch pillar. The fight with Spidey in E3M8 was challenging by comparison.

Heh, E1M8 is the least abusable of all boss levels in the original Doom trilogy.

Bloodshedder said:

If reviewing activity doesn't pick up, we might have another Chronicles in... about 6-8 weeks.

No, I'm lazy now.

Bloodshedder said:

If reviewing activity doesn't pick up, we might have another Chronicles in... about 6-8 weeks.

If people want it, I can turn on overdrive mode, but my reviews seem to gather likers and haters.

Captain Toenail said:

I might like to try reviewing something, but I do not know where to send the review/screenshots, the Reviewing Centre does not make this clear as far as I can tell.

The review center will automatically submit your review to the proper channels; for the screenshots, put them on an image host like majhost.com and drop the links into the Notes field on the right.

Jodwin said:

I always knew that Ruba was an unsung genius, and Killing adventure only proves it. With everything taken into account, the mediocre level design, the presentation, the disrespect for serious Doomers and Dooming, it has to be one of the most entertaining releases this year.

Is it objectively great stuff? Hell no, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Yea, i guess some people here just can't take a joke and hate everything that's not very serious.

Still, the maps have to be well made even though they are suppose to be funny.

A bland room is never pleasant too look at regardless of if or not the map is meant to be funny.

Gez said:

Heh, E1M8 is the least abusable of all boss levels in the original Doom trilogy.

Hmmm... I dunno, run forwards off the lift that takes you up to the star-shaped arena and run between the two baron rooms. The barons won't even wake up until you fire and you can conduct your fight with the spectres in the flat area beyond whilst the barons mong around in their cupboards. Then, when you are ready, peek around the side of the cupboards from the lower area and take pot shots at the barons, shepherding them so that they stay on the raised platform and near the cupboards. Like this, the level poses almost no threat what so ever. Not that I imagine many people have problems with it these days anyway. Mind you, I remember thinking how almost impossibly hard it was "back in the day". LOL

Has Ruba ever actually posted anywhere, or does he just post his masterworks and leave it to our fertile (and apparently jaded) imaginations to make up who he is based on his levels?

Just wondering.

Kyka said:

Has Ruba ever actually posted anywhere, or does he just post his masterworks and leave it to our fertile (and apparently jaded) imaginations to make up who he is based on his levels?

Just wondering.

No...he is here amongst us right now.......FOR I AM RUBA!!!!(Takes of mask).

hardcore_gamer said:

No...he is here amongst us right now.......FOR I AM RUBA!!!!(Takes of mask).

I know you're just kidding. But I wouldn't be surprised if you hadn't been.