Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

All I can say is: I'm very proud of myself. This is my second C-N entry in which I actually beat someone else's time (= not a table filler). What's more, the old record was set in 1998!! This level features somewhat slow gameplay, with a single-shotgun fights for 2/3 of the time, but the weapon possibilities were luxurious for me, after all those Tysons...

Memento Mori II, MAP10 (Clear for Death) UV Max

m210-641.zip

Yeah, I noticed that too, but thanks! it means somebody actually cares. Sent a link with the .zip containing a new text file to you and to Andy Olivera, so it should be fine at DSDA. I didn't replace or put a new attachment, because I like tracking the download couter :)

I just found skogsto's new Doom2 NM run now.

Gingercat said:

Scogs, that was sensational. There were quite a few times where I found myself grinning and saying "Hell yeah! That was sweet!" or maybe "NEAT!!"

Same here! Though, one of the times I said "Nice!" while watching the run I was actually referring to a preposterous jump a cat made from my desk to my bed.

Creaphis said:

Though, one of the times I said "Nice!" while watching the run I was actually referring to a preposterous jump a cat made from my desk to my bed.

Demo? ;)

Memento Mori II 2nd Episode Run (levels 11 to 20)

+--------------------------+-----------------+
      |        Single level      |  Cummulatively  |
+-----+--------+--------/========+========\--------+
|     | Pistol |   My   |        |        |   My   |
|Level|  start |  best  |  This  |  This  |  best  |
|     | record |  time  |   run  |   run  |  time  |
+-----+--------+--------|--------+--------|--------+
|  11 |  2:01  |  2:04  |  2:21  |  2:21  |  2:04  |
|  12 |   :35  |   :44  |   :49  |  3:10  |  2:54  |
|  13 |   :57  |  1:16  |  1:52  |  5:02  |  4:20  |
|  14 |  4:04  |  4:36  |  4:52  |  9:54  |  9:16  |
|  15 |  3:19  |  3:43  |  4:09  | 14:03  | 13:47  |
|  16 |  2:21  |  2:19  |  2:55  | 16:58  | 16:18  |
|  17 |  1:17  |  3:22  |  3:31  | 20:29  | 19:57  |
|  18 |  4:09  |  4:44  |  4:44  | 25:13  | 24:41  |
|  19 |  8:37  |  9:50  |  9:50  | 35:03  | 35:03  |
|  20 |   :49  |  2:13  |  2:13  | 37:16  | 37:16  |
+-----+--------+--------\========+========/--------+

3716m211.zip

Thanks Hitherto. I view movies as the most satisfying achievements. I have absolutely no idea when I'll be able to do something similar (late 2010?).

Memento Mori II again:

MAP09 (Sabbath Sewer by Mark Klem), Tyson in 41:13

m2094113.zip

Memento Mori:

MAP10 (The Mansion by Alden Bates), Tyson in 17:00

A trivial, slow-paced, pistol oriented Tyson map. Only 86 monsters, so I was very surprised to see it hasn't been done before. Nothing special.

mm101700.zip

Archy said:

This is my first.

Looks like as first TAS with slowmo and permanent S50.

# 1090 * SL50, 1025 * SL40
# 965 * SR50, 465 * SR40 
your config please?

I did not use any third party software for this demo. However, i did use Final dooms doom2.exe(size 722629 bytes) for this in DOSBox 0.73.
My .cfg file is in this .zip file.

my cfg.zip

OK. I understand your technique. May be your demo is fair one. But anyway, IMO such technique of constant stretching is perversion. As result, this demo is simply unpleasant to watch.

# DOOM ][ LMP file:         pl11-246.lmp
GF50 SL32               #  2076 (59.31s) 
GF50 SL24               #  2077 (59.34s) 
GF50 SL24               #  2078 (59.37s) 
GF50 SL32               #  2079 (59.39s) 
GF50 SR8                #  2080 (59.42s) 
GF50 SR50               #  2081 (59.45s) 
GF50 SR50               #  2082 (59.48s) 
GF50 SL8                #  2083 (59.51s) 
GF50 SL24               #  2084 (59.54s) 
GF50 SL8                #  2085 (59.57s) 
GF50 SR32               #  2086 (59.60s) 
GF50 SR50               #  2087 (59.62s) 
I think Archy used strafe-50 by mouse's click. The way is easy to get many strafe-50 tics, but it is difficult to always maintain strafe-50 because a mouse's movement isn't stabilized. And, double-click use occured many times. (I confirmed a lot of UT tics.)

His control looks like my old control. Hitherto, you said to me that "using quite unusual controls technique.", there. Yes, his demo is fair, but this control isn't a good way.

Yes, I used strafe-50 by the mouse's click (for the most part).(Thanks tatsurd-cacocaco.)
But I see your point, this is not vary enjoyable to watch. However, I would not consider it cheating nor perversion.

His control looks like my old control. Hitherto, you said to me that "using quite unusual controls technique."

entryway tells me recently what such technique was widely used by early doom deathmatchers. I wonder why all notable c-n players wasn't used it so.

I think Archy used strafe-50 by mouse's click.

Probably you mean mouse hold.

And, double-click use occured many times. (I confirmed a lot of UT tics.)

No. It's only engine strange behavior on MouseStrafeON used with high speed.

I would not consider it cheating nor perversion

Finally I apologize. It's just an easy way to get an ugly demo. IMO this skill needs to be polished hard before publication.

Thanks Hitherto. I will not submit anther C-N demo in-till I "polish" my SR50 skill(s). But wen you said "entryway tells me recently what such technique was widely used by early doom deathmatchers." I used to play deathmatch all the time so that is why I use such techniques.

Your demo was not that bad looking.

You should realize that sr50 won't be of much help as you think if you keep getting stuck at walls like in your demo, this map is quite unpractical for sr50 because of the many small corridors

The many times you hit the walls made you lose many chunks of seconds, if you were using sr40 and getting by without bumping to the walls you could be faster

but eg: at 1:00 - 1:10 you turned fast and accurately after being locked in strafeon IMO several times and you moved smoothly. That was probably very hard to do it that good in most of your tries

Generally you should practice sr40 first and try to get smooth running around corners without bumping, you might be surprised to know that MANY of the C-N speed records only used sr40 (e1m1 and map01 records only had sr40 and many more records)

I'm not discouraging you of using sr50, it's always good in long distances.
Most importantly is smooth running without bumping, and if with practice you can sr50 smoothly in small distances then DO use it
It'll be little faster than sr40 in small distances but not much

More experience will make you understand better
hope to see more demos from you soon man!

Hitherto said:

Probably you mean mouse hold.

Yes. it's mouse hold.

The reason that I stopped using my old control suits most of Kimo's saying. I bumped walls and enemies many times.
If we use strafe-50, we can get movement which are only 1.1 times faster than strafe-40. It's not a very great advantage, and it is difficult to control strafe-50 because you can't do turning while using them. Therefore, many Compet-N players don't use it.

Please continue recording demos while practicing exact movement.

Hay kimo, i see what you are saying.
It make seance now that you mentioned it that SR40 can be used much better in some cases since you can do the turning at the same time. Also thanks and I enjoy your speed runs vary much :)

Don't worry about breaking this or that record @ first, just play the game at a phase that comes natural to you. There are alot of basics that needs to *there* before implementing SR50 in your movements.

So whats beeing said earlier by others here is *******ly right on.

That is the thing, this is how I naturally play. One of the reasons I SR50 with the mouse so much is...because when I first got DOOM (back in 2002) I literally only used the mouse (Weird, isn't it?) yup, no keyboard at all.

So sr40 and circle strafing feels vary strange to me but it make seance to use it (for the most part) over SR50.

EDIT 16.03.2013: I did not get Doom till either 2007 or 2008. Read M205R421.TXT.

Hell Revealed MAP 14 UV-speed in 1:40

Starting my uv-speed project on hr. Though there are many new ideas (at least yet to be done) and maps to improve, they all are freaking hard for an unskilled player like me. But quantity of runs compensates for the quality of a player :)

edit: Oh, attachment is broken. I guess I put it in here when it works again, huh?
Here: http://doomedsda.us/lmps/585/2/hr14-140.zip

Yes, sorry, attachments are broken, along with quite a few other things. This is due to reasons outside the Doomworld staff's immediate control, and efforts are being made to solve it.

Sounds like a great time too. Vile's old demo was nice...